GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: [POLL] Games with stickers... how do you feel about them? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G Horton
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk Legacy,SeaFall, Shadowrun: Crossfire

Each of these games uses stickers to modify their game components, provide a one-directional progression (you can only add, not remove) and carry with them a small amount of narrative to accompany this progression. What do you think of them?

Poll
What do you think of "permanently" modifying a game? (with stickers or otherwise)
Good/Fun
Meh/Gimmick
Bad/Unfun
Idea sounds good
Idea sounds dumb
Idea is horrifying
      140 answers
Poll created by kazuma4321

EDIT: removed an extraneous "and"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kazuma4321 wrote:

Each of these games uses stickers to modify their game components, and provide a one-directional progression (you can only add, not remove) and carry with them a small amount of narrative to accompany this progression. What do you think of them?

Were these stickers and the components they were affixed to a one-time, consumable use thing only? Similar to writing pads or boards printed on paper that you'd mark up?

Either way, doesn't seem to be all that bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Horton
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In each of these cases stickers were used to express a history with a particular faction or character. As you "leveled up" you would apply a sticker to denote a new power to your faction card. There are other uses for the stickers, but the basis of them is to express your history with and within the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
kazuma4321 wrote:

Each of these games uses stickers to modify their game components, and provide a one-directional progression (you can only add, not remove) and carry with them a small amount of narrative to accompany this progression. What do you think of them?

That the mechanism offers nothing interesting to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The legacy premise I can live with as the game is sold on this concept of a permanently changed game. But the stickers for progression in Shadowrun annoys me. As basically either you can't replay with the same characters, or you have to use your own changes to track them instead. I wish they would use little velcro tokens or something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought my first Command and Colours Napoleonics set. Proceeded to stick stickers before reading rules. Halfway through realized stickers are supposed to go on BOTH sides of the block. Damn!!!

It's not that easy peeling them off at that point. ALso, some don't want to stick any more. [unhappy face].

Plus, for some reason I had assumed block games were about "fog of war", but with stickers on both sides, I guess not?

Anyway, I don't feel that badly about stickers per se, but my first experience with them was a bit traumatic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The absolute worst thing. Ever!

I like that games reset at the start of a new session. I don't want a single bad night to spoil future games. Or to have to explain to my Friday group why someone from my Wednesday group decided to name the capital of Redland "Horsecock".

Plus its a total gimmick. All these "permanent" modifications are available in temporary formats, so you could reset the game if you got bored, or if the group dissolved, or you just wanted to play a basic learning game with new people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or to rephrase the poll options:

Good
Neutral
Bad
Good
Bad
Bad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Cantwell

Central Point
Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group wasn't to keen on the idea of stickers in Shadowrun: Crossfire. So we just stuck the stickers on some foam core and cut them out as big tokens essentially. It works great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Bonilla
United States
Winneconne
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's brilliant. I balked at permanently changing my game as well at first, but I've got 200 games that don't change. A game where the changes you make to it are part of the experience is very cool concept. I look forward to Pandemic Legacy in particular, but Seafall and Risk Legacy are games I eventually want to play through as well.

Shadowrun Crossfire I think dropped the ball with how they handled the premise, plus I still play the Shadowrun TCG so I've no desire to own Crossfire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the idea at all. I have no interest in permanent level ups that would cause me to alter the original game components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the "it depends" option? When changes would be annoying to keep track of, it seems justified to permanently change the pieces to keep track of the change. But Shadowrun doing it seems dumb, and just reduces the fun available from the game since you limit the options available in future games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard of the second two games, but for legacy, that's the point of the game, so I have no problem with the concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
A large part of the reason I play games is premised on the fact that I can play them again and get exactly the same outcomes if the player choices don't change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
gvonl wrote:
Just bought my first Command and Colours Napoleonics set. Proceeded to stick stickers before reading rules. Halfway through realized stickers are supposed to go on BOTH sides of the block. Damn!!!

It's not that easy peeling them off at that point. ALso, some don't want to stick any more. [unhappy face].

Plus, for some reason I had assumed block games were about "fog of war", but with stickers on both sides, I guess not?

Anyway, I don't feel that badly about stickers per se, but my first experience with them was a bit traumatic.

I don't quite follow you. Fog of War in C&C games is derived from lack of knowledge about your opponents cards, isn't it?

Why did you have to peel stickers? If you DID put them on both sides, you did it right. If you didn't sticker both sides, then you just have to add more stickers.

I'm just confused and trying to understand what you mean. I say this having just stickered a based set of C&C:Ancients, so I know how much work is involved and shudder at thought of having gotten it wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I just saw Risk Legacy as a disposable purchase, it was easy to sticker/tear up/draw on and was a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Once I just saw Risk Legacy as a disposable purchase, it was easy to sticker/tear up/draw on and was a lot of fun.

If it was priced as a disposable purchase I might have been able to overcome my immediate revulsion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am all for campaign games, that is games that modify th eexperience from on egame to another. But this has to be reversible to start over to be of any interest to me. Permanent and I am out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have yet to play my first legacy-style game but I'm quite intrigued by the idea. SeaFall is especially appealing to me since I really dig the theme of this game.

The one big requirement I would have from a game like this is that it still plays well after all the modifcations have been made. That it is still a balanced game and that a player who wasn't involved during the sessions that created the modified game, couldn't tell that this game has been modfied over the plays - at least from a mechanics- and balance-standpoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't want to have the feature in every game (or anything even close to that) but for the odd game having a feature where components are permanently changed or destroyed is fine by me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
PandoraCaitiff wrote:
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:

If it was priced as a disposable purchase I might have been able to overcome my immediate revulsion...

I dunno, if I went to a movie, or went golfing, or skiing, or whatever with a few friends it would cost the same thing or more, and a 15 game series of Risk Legacy lasted a lot longer that any of those would have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.