Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To start some activity here: What do you think this new mechanic involving "Heralds" will look like? Mini bosses that show up after some turns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued by the idea of the Great Old Ones having Heralds on Earth that pave the way for their arrival. My guess is that that they will be monster chits, but when drawn will have a specific movement path and if allowed to proceed unhindered, will add Doom tokens to the track once they arrive at certain locations. For example, maybe one Herald could put a Doom token on the track after it has moved to the Church and remained there for a turn. Or perhaps instead of being drawn from the cup they will arrive like Spawn monsters, appearing under certain conditions and then following their path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solan wrote:
I'm intrigued by the idea of the Great Old Ones having Heralds on Earth that pave the way for their arrival. My guess is that that they will be monster chits, but when drawn will have a specific movement path and if allowed to proceed unhindered, will add Doom tokens to the track once they arrive at certain locations. For example, maybe one Herald could put a Doom token on the track after it has moved to the Church and remained there for a turn. Or perhaps instead of being drawn from the cup they will arrive like Spawn monsters, appearing under certain conditions and then following their path.

While I would like monster chits, it seems to be listed as a card-only expansion, like Dark Pharoah.

I'm guessing it'll come up through card play, perhaps as a mythos event/rumour, or an otherworlds encounter. Perhaps, there will be a herald card for each Goo, which will be put in play when the goo is drawn, then further mythos card draws will affect the herald's role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SIMON WRAY
Bermuda
Devonshire
Devonshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After just reading the blurb, I thought Heralds might be like The Dunwich Horror from that expansion - i.e. they build up a powerful monster.

But as was pointed out, it looks to be a card only expansion. As such I expect a new card Old One might come into play for a while and require resolving. It could spawn more Doom Token, thus 'heralding-in' the GOO, or perhaps have a stereo-typical affect based on its related GOO.

I expect the expansion to be similar to the CotDP expansion in terms of either using the KiY play as the sole theme of the investigation or as mere background flavour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just say this. We managed to work a small cardboard sheet (which includes 10 yellow sign tokens and 3 monster tokens) and one Herald sheet (sort of like an AO or investigator sheet, but smaller) into the budget.

What does that mean in terms of the Herald mechanics? Well, I'm not quite ready to reveal that yet, but I thought you guys might enjoy speculating a bit before spoilers start showing up (which isn't TOO far off now).

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
General thoughts and ramblings:

3 monster Chits! Will these be new ones or extra versions of existing ones? Wracking brains for Hastur related nasties...

However I would guess that the yellow sign chits, Herald card and these all work together. Wouldn't mind betting that the new monster chits will move round the board, and in similar way to monsters in vortexes in Dunwich, a chit is added to the card if one of these new creatures reaches a paricular location (will we see a new symbol on mythos card showing that location is now a Herald Vortex?)or possibly when herald reaches open gate.

Investigators will have to either kill the herald before it completes it's journey, or close the gate.

Chits could also be added when an Ally is removed, or Investigator Devoured (just thinking as to how the "old familiar faces will be turned against the investigators in ways they never expected" fits in with it all...)

Once card is full of chits AO awakens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My theory is that the herald is a player. Represented by a character in the game who has a bit of control over the monsters. A player who moves around placing yellow signs and opening gates perhaps? It would introduce a competition aspect to the game.

Just an idea, but a plausible one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Senor EvilMonkey
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm gonna guess the mechanic will be similar to the Rumor Mythos cards, "Cranky old lady appears in the Miskatonic streets and starts gibbering like a loon, place 4 Yellow Sign chits on this card when it comes into play. Upkeep slap another YS on this card. A player in the Myskatonic streets can sacrifice lice eggs on a 1 for 1 basis to remove YS chits. If the number of YS chits reaches 8 the cranky old lady drops a resounding parp, screams 'What would the Elder Things Do?!", then explodes. Add 4 tokens to the Doom track, do 10 push-ups, and a monster appears at every gate."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Senor EvilMonkey
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
"Just thinking as to how the "old familiar faces will be turned against the investigators in ways they never expected" fits in with it all...)"

Simple, Velma from the Diner turns out to be in league with Dark Forces and an ally is discarded from the deck everytime someone orders the rack of ribs. The Olde Curiositie Shoppe turns out to be a front for the 'Mi-Go-A-Go-Go' subterrainian nudey bar and discoteque, where investigators run the risk of losing sanity points for watching the 'Table Dance that Man was not meant to know'. The railways service between Arkham and Dunwich has been privatised, so anyone using it immediately becomes 'Lost in Time and Space', the NHS have taken over the Hospital and Asylum so players miss 5 turns waiting for an appointment, and then must roll a D6 and refer to the 'Infection' chart to see whether they have contracted Legionaires Disease, MRSA, Small Pox etc during their stay. The Walmart chain has just built a megastore in the Outskirts so the General Store has started to stock cheap foreign goods in order to remain in business: investigators should roll a D6 for every common item they have during each upkeep phase, and discard the item on a 1 or 2. TV Evangelists have taken over the Church, it now costs $50 to be blessed.

Ok, so that might not strictly be true, but I'm in the office n' bored and can't wait for the new expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Close, in an odd sort of way. Mind you, that's only representative of the King in Yellow himself. The Herald mechanic itself is a much more general purpose mechanic. I promise you, adding a herald to the game will really up the pressure on those poor investigators who choose to meddle in the affairs of the Ancient Ones...

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wibblenut wrote:
"Just thinking as to how the "old familiar faces will be turned against the investigators in ways they never expected" fits in with it all...)"

Simple, Velma from the Diner turns out to be in league with Dark Forces and an ally is discarded from the deck everytime someone orders the rack of ribs. The Olde Curiositie Shoppe turns out to be a front for the 'Mi-Go-A-Go-Go' subterrainian nudey bar and discoteque, where investigators run the risk of losing sanity points for watching the 'Table Dance that Man was not meant to know'. The railways service between Arkham and Dunwich has been privatised, so anyone using it immediately becomes 'Lost in Time and Space', the NHS have taken over the Hospital and Asylum so players miss 5 turns waiting for an appointment, and then must roll a D6 and refer to the 'Infection' chart to see whether they have contracted Legionaires Disease, MRSA, Small Pox etc during their stay. The Walmart chain has just built a megastore in the Outskirts so the General Store has started to stock cheap foreign goods in order to remain in business: investigators should roll a D6 for every common item they have during each upkeep phase, and discard the item on a 1 or 2. TV Evangelists have taken over the Church, it now costs $50 to be blessed.

Ok, so that might not strictly be true, but I'm in the office n' bored and can't wait for the new expansion!

Hehehe!
Is there any way I can submit this as the best thread response ever??
Brilliant . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinW wrote:
I promise you, adding a herald to the game will really up the pressure on those poor investigators who choose to meddle in the affairs of the Ancient Ones...

So when are you bringing out an expansion that makes it easier for the investigators??

Seriously though, can't wait for it, and how about some teasers about Innsmouth? Too early?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joona Mulari
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Any idea when we might get new info? Maybe rules of King in Yellow expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Senor EvilMonkey
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pitkasta aikaa...

Hopefully something will appear in the next month or so, but I wouldn't hold my breath!

I get the impression that the release date has been set back at least once, kinda like my sculpting... lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Holding your breath for 11 days might prove uncomfortable, but no doubt it would have been a rewarding experience for somebody.

So, now we know how the Herald works - he links the terror and doom tracks. A rise in the terror level becomes a rise in the doom level too, unless you choose to take a permanent negative environment.

All we need now is the Galactus GOO. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Senor EvilMonkey
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ok, niggling question...

In the rules it gives you the option of either 'Touring Performance' or 'Permanent Performance', now excuse my pedantic nature, but surely a permanent performance would be a non-starter because after the first night the theatre staff would go bonkers and probably not turn up to work for the matinee...

Also how comes the actors never go round the bend? (Or are they in league with naughty forces, or rendered immune by their inflated sense of self-worth?)

Mind you, am starting to suspect that someone has already snuck into a performance of 'The King in Yellow', recorded it on their mobile phone and uploaded it onto YouTube... (Judging by the number of clearly 'special' people who have since gone on to submit videos of retarded children from the council estates slapping eachother about).

I want my copy of the King in Yellow and I want it NOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikey! Might have to shy away from that Herald variant, this game is going to be rock hard to beat . . .

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
So, now we know how the Herald works - he links the terror and doom tracks. A rise in the terror level becomes a rise in the doom level too, unless you choose to take a permanent negative environment.

Small correction: we know how the King in Yellow Herald works. The Herald mechanic does not only apply to this single Herald. It was posted on the FFG boards that we will see a freely downloadable Dunwhich Horror Herald as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wibblenut wrote:
Ok, niggling question...

In the rules it gives you the option of either 'Touring Performance' or 'Permanent Performance', now excuse my pedantic nature, but surely a permanent performance would be a non-starter because after the first night the theatre staff would go bonkers and probably not turn up to work for the matinee...

The King In Yellow is a cursed play, but that doesn't mean the curse enacts with every performance in the same way that a ship known as cursed would have a fatality on every voyage. It's just that horrible happenings are associated with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More heralds, perhaps?
From the setup of the King in Yellow herald (of which there is only one), it appears the heralds mechanic is designed so that one of a number of "herald" cards is drawn at random, like the AO card; only there's just one herald (for now). My hope is that FFG makes more heralds cards, effectively multiplying the number of AO experiences you can possibly have. An upcoming Cthulhu expansion or even an Innsmouth expansion could include a Dagon herald. The AO card of Dagon I've already created:

http://boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=21469

Could easily be translated into a herald card. A lot of people didn't like him as an AO anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
kungfro wrote:
it appears the heralds mechanic is designed so that one of a number of "herald" cards is drawn at random, like the AO card; only there's just one herald (for now).

One herald for the Dunwich Horror was announced by Kevin Wilson on FFG forum (it should be freely available to download in the near future).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Senor EvilMonkey
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Whilst I'm sure that everyone appreciates freebies, I for one (being the aforementioned retentive/obsessive) would also appreciate the option of paying cold hard cash for a printed version using the same cardstock as the Herald that comes with the expansion set.
Baring in mind that I'm the kind of person who genuinely has a p!ssy fit when a publisher changes the design of a books spine halfway through a series (my bookshelf doesn't look half as neat n tidy when they do that!) this will come as no surprise to those who know me...

Just call it a promo then they'll sell by the zillion! The fact that people will swipe every freebie card/bookmark/whatever from the local gamestore and successfully sell them on eBay at $100 each proves that I'm not the only person willing to part with cash for a seemingly worthless piece of paper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Senor EvilMonkey
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I wonder if the guy down the tunnel under the abandoned graveyard calling people on his portable telephone apparatus will count as a Herald? ("Cooooooo blimey, don't come down here, is toooo terrible for words! No seriously is scarier than a scary thing! Someone slide the stone slab back over the entrance before all the nameless thingies escape! Oh I'm sorry I thought that was Steve. Any idea when he'll be back? Ok, I'll try again later. Run away and save yourselves!)

First person to spot the Lovecraft connection wins a shrug and a 'well it was pretty obvious if you've ever read his stuff...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Wilson
United States
Richmond
California
flag msg tools
Well, for a set of prizes like that...

But, it's "The Statement of Randolph Carter" in any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.