GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,144 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Hive» Forums » Rules

Subject: HIVE DRAGONFLY 2.0 - Rules Questions&Answers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Sperling

Brisbane
Australia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This thread deals with all kind of rules questions regarding the updated HIVE DRAGONFLY 2.0.

The rules can be downloaded here:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/43285/

If you like to give general feedback about the Dragonfly, please post in the original DRAGONFLY thread, not here.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/411579/hive-dragonfly-u...

If you are interested in background information about the HIVE DRAGONFLY 2.0, in particular about the development of the rules, jump over to this post:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/19164351#19164351

HIVE DRAGONFLY 2.0 RULES

RULE:
The Dragonfly pieces are a new addition to the standard HIVE set.
They enter the game the same way as other pieces.

COMMENT:
The Dragonfly is only allowed to touch pieces of its own colour when entering the game. It starts as all other pieces on the ground level.

RULE:
Movement

A Dragonfly moves two fields: the first on top of the hive in any direction,
the second forward-left or forward-right to any level.

COMMENT:
The movement must consist of both parts of the movement in the described order.
The terms “forward-left” and “forward-right” are meant in relation to the direction the Dragonfly moves in its first part of the movement.

RULE:
Transportation Ability
Starting its move from atop the hive, the Dragonfly takes the piece
underneath with it, but only if the hex field to land on is free.
Otherwise, the Dragonfly moves alone. The One-Hive Rule always applies.

COMMENT: If the Dragonfly sits on top of a stack with more than one piece underneath, it only takes the piece directly underneath with it. It never transports more than one piece at the same time. The transportation ability is mandatory. The player can’t choose to transport the piece underneath or not. It is predetermined by the hex field he wants to move to and by the One-Hive Rule.

If you have moved with your Dragonfly on top of the HIVE and now you want to move with it somewhere else, you should check:

Is the hex field to land on occupied?
YES --> The Dragonfly can only move alone
NO --> If taking the piece underneath with it does not break the HIVE (temporarily or permanently), the Dragonfly MUST use its transportation ability.

It can not choose to transport or not to transport. If you don't like that your Dragonfly has to take the piece underneath with it to the hex you determined - choose an occupied hex field to land on instead. It is an intended feature that the Dragonfly's transportation ability does not always work in your favour - sometimes you will wish that you don't have to transport a piece, but you have to and the other way around.

Having said that, the game will not be broken if you decide to play a rule variant in which players are permitted to choose if they want to use the Dragonfly's transportation ability or not.

RULE:
Interaction with other HIVE expansions
(Dragonfly + Ladybug/Pillbug/Mosquito)

The Dragonfly may be played together with any other HIVE expansion(s).
Every expansion piece can be transported by the Dragonfly.
When adjacent to an uncovered Dragonfly on any level, a Mosquito on any
level can adapt the Dragonfly’s movement and transportation ability.
A Mosquito on top of the hive has always the option to move like a beetle.

COMMENT:
You can play all possible variations of HIVE when using the Dragonfly.
Mix as many expansions as you like. Playing with more than one Dragonfly per colour might be interesting, but is untested.

The Mosquito can’t choose to mimic only the movement if the transportation of the piece would be required for a Dragonfly in the same situation. If a Mosquito mimics a Dragonfly, it is subjected to behave exactly like one.

“Any level” means: A Mosquito located on top of a stack, with an uncovered Dragonfly adjacent on ground level, can mimic a Dragonfly’s movement (and transportation ability). The same applies to a Mosquito adjacent to an uncovered Dragonfly on the same or higher level.
A Mosquito on top of the hive may always move like a Beetle - even if there is no adjacent Beetle or no Beetle has entered the game so far. This is in accordance with the original Mosquito rules and prevents that the Mosquito gets stuck on top of the hive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GOOD JOB Christian!

One question: Does the Freedom to Move rule block the Dragonfly from moving (similar to Ladybug movement) or does it 'fly' and is therefore not affected?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling

Brisbane
Australia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial announcement of the Dragonfly 2.0 was deleted, because it was considered to be advertisement.

The answer to your question is in my comprehensive post about the HIVE DRAGONFLY 2.0 which I wrote in the original Dragonfly thread:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/19164351#19164351

You will find it in the first part of II.The DEVELOPMENT from version 1.2 to version 2.0, but for your convenience I just copy and paste the relevant phrases:

a) Changing how the Dragonfly moves
... "Another problem I had to address was: Would the Dragonfly be permitted to pass through a gate constellation on top of the hive? This question arose earlier for the Beetle and Ladybug and was discussed in several threads and clarified for example in ringersoll’s article “Beetle movement atop the hive”.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/615908/beetle-movement-... ."

..."In a moment of inspiration I realized that I could solve all the issues mentioned above with a single change of the Dragonfly’s movement pattern: Instead of moving the first hex in any direction, the Dragonfly has to move its first hex forward ON TOP of the hive."...

-
What it means is: With the new movement you don't run into Freedom of Rule block issues, because the Dragonfly can always circumvent the gates. To understand exactly why, you should set up a gate which a Ladybug or Beetle would not be able to pass. Then exchange the Beetle/Ladybug with the Dragonfly and you will see that it has always a second way to get to the desired spot without passing through the gate.

Now that I double checked it again, I am not even able to reproduce a problematic gate situation for its old movement pattern.

Everything is fine! Figure Exception III of the old Dragonfly 1.2 PDF would be unclear. The new movement leaves only one way to reach your destination and that is only possible by breaking the hive. The former alternative path which required to pass a gate raised more doubt if the hive was broken or not.

However, the new movement also prevents questions about a different type of situation in which it might be unclear if a move is legal or not (see figure Exception 1 in the old Dragonfly 1.2 PDF).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I see that now.

With the Beetle having a 1 space movement and the Ladybug have more than 2 space movement they both can be limited by the Freedom to Move rule.

But with the Dragonfly's movement being exactly 2 spaces, it cannot be limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This really has cleaned up nicely

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.