GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,341 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Don't understand rumors? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to Overlord Descent 2nd Edition for the first time. I have the main game, Shadow of Nerekhall & one of the Monster sets. The Monster set came with a Rumor. I don't get it? The manual doesn't talk about Rumors so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it.

It says that I can't play it if the Interlude is an available quest - don't you always have to choose from 1 of the two available Interludes?

If you do play it, that means you play the Rumor dungeon instead of the Interlude and if you win you get a new Overlord card?

Anyone with good experience please explain, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumors are used primarily with the small box expansions, so that's where the rules are given. Each rulebook for Lair of the Wyrm, Trollfens, and Manor of Ravens has the details you need.

To briefly summarize, the overlord shuffles the rumor deck at the beginning of a campaign, and draws 3 cards. Once during each campaign step (between the quests), the overlord may choose to play a rumor card.

Some rumor cards are also quest cards that introduce new available quests, and these remain in play until the quest is chosen. The heroes or the overlord can select one of these quests in addition to whatever other options are available during the appropriate act of the campaign.

Typically, a rumor quest card will introduce an act 1 quest. Once that quest is cleared, the quest instructions will have you put an act 2 advanced quest card into play, which the heroes or overlord can choose as a quest during act 2.

You can't play the card if the interlude is an available quest. This means that if your players have already finished all 3 of the act 1 quests, and the next available quest would be the interlude, then it's too late to introduce the rumor quest card into the campaign.

For the most recent printing of the full text of the rules for rumors and quest cards, check out the Manor of Ravens rulebook at https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/descent-journ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to what has already been posted, I would advise against including the rumor mechanic on your first playthrough, espescially if you've only got one rumor card total.

Utilize the heroes and the monsters, but I'd keep the number of extra mechanics to a minimum until you have a fitm grasp of how the game works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.