Subject: Which game to buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Russell
United Kingdom
Crediton
Devon
flag msg tools
HI guys, basically I'm a long time D&D player but having moved away from my group I'm restricted to about a 2 player game, so I was looking at Boardgames particularly Descent. Problem is I'm really into Story/Character development and Exploration/ Traps/ Puzzles/ Riddles etc in my game. I don't know really what to get? I hated HeroQuest it was sooo basic it got boring after 5 minutes. I've been looking at Warhammer Quest (I can get one off Ebay here in the UK) too as it seems to have Events/ NPC interaction etc as well as Hack n Slash. I can't seem to get a good run-down of all the elements in Descent (FFG website Sucks!). Is it literally OPen door/ smash monster/ avoid trap/ grab teasure and repeat? Or are there pseudo RPG elements as well, money collecting/ upgrading/NPC's etc? From a Role-playing D&D perspective what game should I buy? OH and any websites that have an in depth review of content/ rules for both? (and maybe Runebound as I'm sure someone will mention that) THANKS!! James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent has very little character improvement/Role playing but your character can be upgraded in terms of equipment and skills.

There is a campaign rules expansion in the works but it is slated for after the next expansion.

As to puzzles and problem solving that really depends on the quest. There have been a few great quest with really cool ideas and game mechanics.

The rules are also very adaptable to other miniatures and terrain. That along with the very good quest editor might give you what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
have you tried Mordheim: City of the Damned the rules are free. its probably the best blend of rpg/mini/boardgame in one. you only need 2 people to play. but you need some miniatures and some buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Russell
United Kingdom
Crediton
Devon
flag msg tools
Yeah I have tried Mordheim but its really a small wargame than a RPG/ Boardgame plus its pretty expensive as you need 3d scenary whereas I already have a load of dungeon tiles. Looking at Warhammer Quest it seems better but I can't find a .pdf of the rulebook to check out the various elements. I saw a post that said it was on here but there wasn't a link and the file section has no search facility (I'm not searching through 300+ pages just to find it). Its annoying because Descent seems so well equipped and produced, its a shame that its only a glorified Hack and Slash, I think I'd probably get bored after 1 or 2 plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your replies, James, it doesn't really sound as though Descent is for you. It's basically all combat. "Upgrades" consist of combat abilities or weapons. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to give Arkham Horror a try. The rules are on FFG's site so it should give you a good idea of what the game is about.

Christian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Quest is what you're after.
Descent is another minis wargame but between heroes and GM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Jaekel
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Quest is my favorite game, but I dont know, if it will please you. The main goal of the game is to develop your character (and in this matter its great), but the game itself is like you said: open door, kill the monsters, grab the money and go out. There is no real great story, no NPC, but its fun. I always comparize it with the PC-Game Diablo (maybe not your cup of tea): No story, but easy to play, addictive,thousands of monsters devilwith different properties; Lots of skills and items/treasures to collect, but thats all, maybe not enough for you. The game works well with 1, 2 or 4 players.
I recommend strongly to inform you well about the game before bying it at ebay; normally it costs a lot of money, because its out of print.
I could try to send you a pdf of the rules, if you are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking at Descent as a way to fill that RPG/Story niche, it won't. Descent is a combat boardgame between heroes and Overlord. The quests can have story elements built into them, but don't let that fool you...Descent is open door, smash monsters, get smashed, return from town, grab treasure, repeat. You do get the chance to buy/find better weapons along the way, and you can buy new skills or training, but there's no real character to play. You're playing a set of stats.

If you're really craving the RPG experience, find the local game store and start working your way into a group there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm facing a similar problem and have not found an easy solution.

Warhammer Quest has little roleplaying, it does let you carry over your character and visit town, but a lot of your town experience is randomly determined. Great game and I'm lusting after Ebay copies, but not much character play. You can play it solitaire.

I like Arkham Horror, but would not recommend it to you. No character development nor carry over for later games.

If you like Science Fiction, you may want to check out Battlestations. It's a very fun game, characters carry over, but again, no real roleplaying.

One good suggestion that you probably already have is the Dungeons & Dragons: The Fantasy Adventure Board Game.

Finally, there is a list sort of devoted to this topic, check it out:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/911

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
I can't seem to get a good run-down of all the elements in Descent (FFG website Sucks!)

What?! They have the rules free to download. What more could you ask for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.