GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,867 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My board game dealer just got the new edition of Dragon's Gold in stock!
I know it's a game I'd LOVE - BUT I already own Sheriff of Nottingham!

While I love SON, I hate that it only plays up to 5 as we often play 6 in my group.

I realize they are both negotiation games and that's why I'd like to hear some feedback from folks who owns or tried both games. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played SON (but I have played, and own, Hart an der Grenze), I would guess that Dragon's Gold is definitely different enough. It is a fantastic, fast-paced, hilarious game. Go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While both games feature negotiation, even that element of both games is a bit different.

In Sheriff, you're trying to bluff, double-bluff or outright bribe another player. While you can, in a manner of speaking, "bribe" players in Dragon's Gold, it's not a terribly viable strategy because of the way loot splitting works. There's also not really much bluffing (except perhaps for a few of the Magic Item cards, which are awesome!) involved because every player knows what's at stake. The focus on DG then, is instead upon the "negotiating" itself. Everybody knows that there are 7 pieces of treasure being split between 3 players...and if all 3 of them can't agree on how to share it, nobody gets anything! So the idea is for players to find a balance between getting a fair enough share that it's worth their while but not being so greedy that the other players force the deal to flounder. In Sheriff, the Sheriff player can always just decide to check the bag anyway or take another player's "better offer" but in DG, it has to be a mutual agreement by all parties...and that's what makes it so hilarious.

I own and love both games and I think they are different enough that they don't "exclude" one another. Dragon's Gold has a few elements of strategy and trickery that Sheriff doesn't have and Sheriff has the bluffing/bribery elements that DG doesn't feature. Plus, Dragon's Gold features players forcibly stealing treasures from one another, which is great fun!

Especially if you're looking for a great game for 6 players (which Sheriff doesn't do), I highly recommend Dragon's Gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just got Dragon's Gold and really like it...

I've not played SON but have looked at it - considering to also get - and never even thought about it being similar to Dragon's Gold...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:
While both games feature negotiation, even that element of both games is a bit different.

In Sheriff, you're trying to bluff, double-bluff or outright bribe another player. While you can, in a manner of speaking, "bribe" players in Dragon's Gold, it's not a terribly viable strategy because of the way loot splitting works. There's also not really much bluffing (except perhaps for a few of the Magic Item cards, which are awesome!) involved because every player knows what's at stake. The focus on DG then, is instead upon the "negotiating" itself. Everybody knows that there are 7 pieces of treasure being split between 3 players...and if all 3 of them can't agree on how to share it, nobody gets anything! So the idea is for players to find a balance between getting a fair enough share that it's worth their while but not being so greedy that the other players force the deal to flounder. In Sheriff, the Sheriff player can always just decide to check the bag anyway or take another player's "better offer" but in DG, it has to be a mutual agreement by all parties...and that's what makes it so hilarious.

I own and love both games and I think they are different enough that they don't "exclude" one another. Dragon's Gold has a few elements of strategy and trickery that Sheriff doesn't have and Sheriff has the bluffing/bribery elements that DG doesn't feature. Plus, Dragon's Gold features players forcibly stealing treasures from one another, which is great fun!

Especially if you're looking for a great game for 6 players (which Sheriff doesn't do), I highly recommend Dragon's Gold.

Oh that's great!
I'll add it to the next order :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.