GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,324 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game for a 6-year-old girl rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Salvatore Corrao
Italy
Caulonia Marina
RC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to buy a game for my niece and slowly turn her into a geek. I was thinking of Camel Up, or maybe one the games in the Tales&Games series (Three little pigs, baba yaga, etc).

She seems to be interested in board games, she always wants to watch us play and she is disappointed when we don't let her play.
The ideal game would be one that can be enjoyable for adults as well, so that we can play with her.
The Tales&Games games are very cute for a little girl, but thet seem to be too simple, that's the reason I thought of Camel Up.

Any other suggestion?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Camel Up could work, but I´m not sure if betting / forecasting is not too difficult for her.

Maybe Die kleinen Drachenritter.
Yes, it is verry simple, but it can be fun for adults too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6-year old daughter likes to play Mice & Mystics with me. I have to help, but she understands what to do and loves killing rats and roaches! She also plays with the minis in between games, which I don't mind since I like that she wants to play with me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Corrao
Italy
Caulonia Marina
RC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to say that I can only spend max 30€ at the moment.
The Dragon Game looks very nice, but it is only in German

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't Stop is a big hit with my 6 y.o.
Forbidden Island also very popular.
Takenoko simple enough a 6 y.o. can play and enjoy.
Sushi Go! another hit with my y.o.

You probably can't go wrong with any of the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolverutto wrote:
I forgot to say that I can only spend max 30€ at the moment.
The Dragon Game looks very nice, but it is only in German

There is no in game text.
And - if multilingual rules are not included anyway - you will find at least english rules here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go! worked pretty well with my niece. Disney Apples to Apples was another hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Corrao
Italy
Caulonia Marina
RC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:
There is no in game text.
And - if multilingual rules are not included anyway - you will find at least english rules here on BGG.

Althought that wouldn't be a problem for me, for example, my copy of Fresko is in German, it is important that the game is in Italian. She would have the box for herself, with my brother and his wife to teach the rules again if I am not there, and I only see her four times a year. They wouldn't be happy with English rules, imagine if they were in German

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lili Private
msg tools
mb
My kids are at that same age and we play family games a LOT. We have the 3 pigs game mentioned and they like it okay but these are the ones that see a lot of repeat play and requests to play:

Aggravation (no text)
Dancing Eggs (no text)
Enchanted forest ( enjoyed by children but not really the adults) -- like a cross between memory and a board game) ( no text)
Fish Stixx (no text)
Guess Who (no text)
Hike ( limited text)
Money, Money ( this one was a surprise but my 7 year old says she likes it because she gets money like a big person) ---this one has a lot of text
Operation ( cards have text)
Rory's Story cubes ( game is verbal and no text needed to play)
Shakin' Sorry ( this one is the most popular kids game at our house and among our group of friends kids --it has had 100's of plays over the years) ( dice game no text)
Waterworks ( no text to play)

With the exception of the money,money game only the instructions would need reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanson

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Sushi Go! My family loves it and even our 4 year old plays because he understands the mechanic, pick a card and pass the rest (though he doesn't know exactly what he's trying to accomplish). It's quick and easy and lots of fun and it's relatively cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Volp
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6 year old daughter loves

- Sleeping Queens
- Castle Panic
- King of Tokyo
- Ticket to Ride

We adjust as necessary for her to play. For example, in Castle Panic she pulls and places monsters on the board. For Ticket to Ride we help her with one route at a time. She is a pretty smart kid and has been watching us game for a couple years now so that might make a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Corrao
Italy
Caulonia Marina
RC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I don't like any of these games, apart from Takenoko which I already own. Sushi Go is nice but I don't want to buy a card game and I don't think she does even know what sushi is, it's not something we would eat.

Well, I'm maybe too fussy. Thank you all for your time, I will give a look at the games that won the Deutscher Kinderspiele Preis in Germany, most have been translated into Italian according to Wikipedia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games that my nephew enjoys (seven now, but I've been playing with him for a couple of years):
Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Dungeon!
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
King of Tokyo
Chess (his dad is only a casual player, but he has to work to beat him now)
Star Realms
Dixit, but this is more about laughing at the pictures than competing in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Ramos
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Magic Labyrinth
My First Carcassonne
Bugs in the Kitchen
Doodle Quest

The games above are games that my 6 year old daughter and I both enjoy. You should also check out the Kinderspiel winners from the past to get an idea where to start. I've also heard Haba games are great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Garnet Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Enchanted Tower
Coconuts
Enchanted Forest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, try Haba brand games ... made for kids. I think many are language independent, too. Search Amazon, they have most of them.

Animal Upon Animal is very popular, but they have a bunch more for exactly her age group.

I just mentioned Too Many Cinderellas on the other thread here, I don't know how easy it would be to get. It's quite cute and I think it could be played by a 6 year old (I played it with a 9 year old). Just keep it on the radar.

Edit: I have played Camel Up with a 6 year old, in fact, and not only is it gambling, it's not really something that interests a young person in my opinion -- bet who comes in first, or last, and figuring probabilities, fairly higher order math there. I wouldn't recommend it. Please understand, though, it is not one of my favorite games so that definitely colors my opinion of it in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Corrao
Italy
Caulonia Marina
RC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, politely ignoring all your suggestions, I've decided to buy one of these three games, all of which can be found in Italian:

Spooky Stairs
Catan: Junior
Camel Up

But I will look at this thread again when it's time for her second game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamonsters or My first Carcassonne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janine
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6-year-old daughter's favorite games:

Mice and Mystics (Likely to be enjoyable to adult gamers too, but requires a lot of parental help)
Zooloretto
Spooky Stairs (Pretty simplistic roll and move, but with a twist. It is the only roll and move kids' game I have ever fallen in love with.)
The Magic Labyrinth
The Enchanted Tower
Hey, That's My Fish! (Fairly tolerable for adults. Fun even.)
Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters (Language independent, so the fact that it is in German isn't an issue if you do not speak German. This is a co-op game and actually pretty fun)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to Dungeon, my little ones love "The Mystic Wood."
Perhaps you can find it on eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a 6 year old daughter as well and she likes Dungeon, Junior Stratego, Chess, Sleeping Queens, Beaver Gang, Labyrinth (Doolhof) and lots of the small card games by 999. Planning on introducing her soon to Catan, Lemming Mafia, Forbidden Island and a few others with help...She's already a BGG as she always watches us playing as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to recommend Machi Koro.

This game is quite light and the arwork is bright and appealing. Turns are short and game moves along fairly quickly and completes in 20 minutes or so.

Your daughter might even be beyond this going by what she is already playing, however might be worth checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn Under is the game you want to buy. My 5 year old daughter loves it. And she's good at it and can hang with the older kids and parents. I'm tired of it, but love her enthusiasm for this game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 7 year old girl who loves a lot of games, but you have almost every one of them on your "do not buy" list.

Having said that, my kids like Camel Up, but I doubt you will like it based on your game preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.