GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,975 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Chewy with Gunner/MFalcon or Predator/C3PO? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a relatively new player have had pretty good luck with a build that includes a mobile Dash plus Chewy/Gunner/Millennium Falcon. Although playing against a swarm for the first time the other day was not very pretty . My Dash build is set, but I’m debating on switching Chewy from Gunner/MF to Predator/C3PO which could be slightly better. Here is what makes sense to me:

Pros
• Both Pred/3PO abilities are passive. First, the Focus action is now more viable. I have almost always taken MF as my action, but now instead I could Focus each time. It seems that since Chewy sometimes moves relatively early at PS5, there are a few times where I assume I will be attacked but never am and the Evade was wasted. Focus instead allows for use on Attack (which will almost always happen) or extra Defense if needed. And with 3PO, I still have a decent chance to have that +1 Evade the MF would have provided, if needed. Second, I can more easily deal with Stress and bumping since both abilities are passive.
• Seems like I would be able to attack PS1/2 swarms easier vs. Gunner (but the math seems to indicate only at range 1)

Cons
• Slightly less defense when attacked with 3PO vs always taking an evade action (MF)
• Slightly less effective at range 3. 3PO is now guessing two dice (47%) vs an auto Evade (MF) (100%) and Gunner seems to be mathematically better at long range vs. Predator.
• I would have to drop some decent cash to buy the Tantive :/ ha (anyone have one to sell at a decent price or a 3PO card that isn’t crazy expensive? )

Is there anything off with my thoughts or other considerations I’m not factoring in you all can think of???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought of this too. With the Soontir + PTL + StDev/ShdUpg + AutoT, Predator is much less effective than Gunner. Is the tournament scene going towards these Soontir's enough to warrant being more concerned vs. Swarms? I faced this Soontir only once before and it was rediculously hard to hit (I think I only got 1 hit the whole game). But I ended up winning because my opponent flew his other big ship 2mm off the board . So I'm not fully sure how scary Soontir really is in a game vs. the swarm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, soontir is good, but he's still at his worst against dual turrets.

I'd rather have pred/3po because it feels like more actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though it's a gamble, and you sometimes get burned, I much prefer Lando over 3PO on the Falcon. I'd recommend taking Lando and a Gunner. I know that's priced a bit higher than what you suggested though. What I've had the best luck with (and again...1 point higher than it sounds like you want it to be, but I still strongly suggestin trying it) is Chewie + Experimental Interface + Lando + Nien. That's a very rough 49 points to take down. What do you have on Dash?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scomatt9 wrote:
Though it's a gamble, and you sometimes get burned, I much prefer Lando over 3PO on the Falcon. I'd recommend taking Lando and a Gunner. I know that's priced a bit higher than what you suggested though. What I've had the best luck with (and again...1 point higher than it sounds like you want it to be, but I still strongly suggestin trying it) is Chewie + Experimental Interface + Lando + Nien. That's a very rough 49 points to take down. What do you have on Dash?

I have Outrider + HLC + VI + Navigator. The only thing I could see taking off Dash are Nav or VI. But both are crucial to my style of play that has worked well which is moving absolutely last (hopefully) and having the option with Nav for either defensive or offensive positioning. So I don't see how I could do 51 pts with Dash unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thebard8 wrote:
scomatt9 wrote:

I have Outrider + HLC + VI + Navigator. The only thing I could see taking off Dash are Nav or VI. But both are crucial to my style of play that has worked well which is moving absolutely last (hopefully) and having the option with Nav for either defensive or offensive positioning. So I don't see how I could do 51 pts with Dash unfortunately.

I'm surprised to hear that Navigator has been that helpful. For example, a right 2 turn vs a right 3 turn with a large base ship doesn't seem like it would make that much of a difference. I mean...I suppose it *maybe* puts outside of range 1 at some point, but does that really happen that often? I don't know...if it's working for you, keep I guess.

Another thought...you can now prevent the annoying donut by taking the Mangler Cannon instead...and it's 3 points cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.