GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,221 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: [Poll} Minorities in Museums rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Homer Simpson
badge
"Trying is the first step towards failure."
mbmbmbmbmb
Michelle Obama has said that many minority members do not feel welcome in museums, and places like that.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/06/michelle-obama-museums-don...

Question: Are you a minority, and do you have this feeling?

Museum here is defined as anyplace you would expect to feel welcome. So, we're not including the "Museum of KKK History", or other obviously racist establishments.

This poll is open to African Americans and Latinos only, for obvious reasons!

If you do feel excluded, or have actually been excluded, please explain why or how in the comments!
Poll
How welcome do you, as a minority, feel in museums in America?
I have been to museums, and have not felt excluded.
I have not been to museums, but don't feel excluded.
I have no feelings one way or the other.
I have not been to museums, but do feel excluded.
I have actually been excluded from a museum.
Other (Please explain in comments)
      5 answers
Poll created by perrygf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck. There are no minorities on this web site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Or at least RSP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Levine wrote a great book many years ago called Highbrow/Lowbrow, which traced the emergence of institutionalized music and art in the late nineteenth century, and the ways it coincided with new conceptions about "Highbrow culture."

Many of the conventions associated with institutions like museums and concert halls (no talking, no running, polite behavior, appropriate moments for applause and other behavior) were directly related to class-specific behavior. Rules of conduct associated with upper-class society life were put in place, if not to discourage poor people from coming, then to "educate them" by offering a social framework in which they would learn to adopt the manners of their social superiors.

I can see why the enforced formality of these places might seem foreign and off-putting to lots of people who weren't exposed to it early on, including probably many minorities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:

What about El Chupacabratwurst? He might show up and tell us his heart-warming story of how he went to a NewYork pizzeria museum and they didn't shun him for ordering Chicago style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Lawrence Levine wrote a great book many years ago called Highbrow/Lowbrow, which traced the emergence of institutionalized music and art in the late nineteenth century, and the ways it coincided with new conceptions about "Highbrow culture."

Many of the conventions associated with institutions like museums and concert halls (no talking, no running, polite behavior, appropriate moments for applause and other behavior) were directly related to class-specific behavior. Rules of conduct associated with upper-class society life were put in place, if not to discourage poor people from coming, then to "educate them" by offering a social framework in which they would learn to adopt the manners of their social superiors.

I can see why the enforced formality of these places might seem foreign and off-putting to lots of people who weren't exposed to it early on, including probably many minorities.

It's a good point, I'm not a visual minority but I definitely do not dress or decorate myself to "highbrow" standards. As such, I don't feel "confortable" in those kind of settings. Though, I have never been actively excluded. Of course, I've never worn a Crowbar hoodie to the orchestra either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this include the Creation "Museum"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't attest to the general feeling of minorities feeling welcome or not, but I'm sure there is more overt racism in those comments on that article than you will find in a museum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perrygf wrote:
Michelle Obama has said that many minority members do not feel welcome in museums, and places like that.

Actually she said something different, that they do not imagine themselves there or that they would be welcome there, not that they don't feel welcome when they get there.

And if you read what she actually said it's primarily about class, the chance that any of the people she's talking about would participate on BGG is exactly zero. So surveying people here is completely useless to understanding what she's talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:

Well, I mean... virtual boardgame museum, so...

Q.E.D.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
I'm not a visual minority

Is this a new PC term?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
[Poll}

I'm having trouble figuring out what this thread about as I'm still trying to find the other halves of the brackets and braces from the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

Is this a new PC term?

No, just a description of a state of appearance. I don't have dark skin, epicanthic eye folds or a wheelchair so I am not visually identifiable as a minority that could get excluded based on traditional criteria. The most visual queue to a possible exclusionary identifier is that I am low class. Not exactly a minority, but a group that could be considered undesirable. I am visually a male, so I am that minority (49%!), but haven't been excluded for that yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreRedleg wrote:

Im having trouble figuring out what this thread about as I'm still trying to find the other halves brackets and braces from the title.

Yeah, my compiler keeps breaking on that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

Is this a new PC term?

No, just a description of a state of appearance. I don't have dark skin, epicanthic eye folds or a wheelchair so I am not visually identifiable as a minority that could get excluded based on traditional criteria. The most visual queue to a possible exclusionary identifier is that I am low class. Not exactly a minority, but a group that could be considered undesirable. I am visually a male, so I am that minority (49%!), but haven't been excluded for that yet.

DDJ is just being pedantic. The correct term is visible minority. Like spelling errors, it isn't necessary to point it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should respond to the poll because like all white Americans I claim to be 1/32 Cherokee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
DDJ is just being pedantic. The correct term is visible minority.

I've got no idea which terms are politically correct today. That's why I asked. Maybe "visible minority" is offensive to the blind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

rcbevco wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:

Or at least RSP.

Now, I wonder why that would be?

I mean, it's not like BGG hasn't made any outreach efforts, is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
This reminds me of something I have been meaning to bring up for some time, we have 0 people of color in RSP. We have a coupe of Jews and women but no black or Latino people that I am aware of. I have 1 black friend which I have mentioned before. I think that means I know more black people than anyone else in RSP, so I guess that means I am by default the black expert until we recruit an actual black person. (I hope you all appreciate the humor in that statement and don't think I am serious).

Anyway, we need a recruitment drive for RSP or some affirmative action or something.

Maybe someone should create a "what minority group do you associate yourself with?" poll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
perrygf wrote:

Because those are the only two minorities.

Based on my trips to museums (mostly children's variety), many (most?) other minorities seem to feel comfortable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Homer Simpson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
perrygf wrote:

Good point. Let all minorities respond!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Homer Simpson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
perrygf wrote:

Actually she said something different, that they do not imagine themselves there or that they would be welcome there, not that they don't feel welcome when they get there.

And if you read what she actually said it's primarily about class, the chance that any of the people she's talking about would participate on BGG is exactly zero. So surveying people here is completely useless to understanding what she's talking about.

So you're saying that she's only talking about socioeconomic status, not race at all? She is speaking equally about inner-city blacks and Rednecks (Forgive me- I don't know the PC term for them!)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perrygf wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
perrygf wrote:

Good point. Let all minorities respond!

I'm a Mormon. And I only feel comfortable at church historic sites, which are kind of like museums, except unimportant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perrygf wrote:
So you're saying that she's only talking about socioeconomic status, not race at all?

That is correct. The quote doesn't say anything at all about race or "minorities". That's just the Daily Caller's spin. You understand this is a website dedicated to attacking the left?

"You see, there are so many kids in this country who look at places like museums and concert halls and other cultural centers and they think to themselves, well, that’s not a place for me, for someone who looks like me, for someone who comes from my neighborhood. In fact, I guarantee you that right now, there are kids living less than a mile from here who would never in a million years dream that they would be welcome in this museum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
This reminds me of something I have been meaning to bring up for some time, we have 0 people of color in RSP. We have a coupe of Jews and women but no black or Latino people that I am aware of.

How would you know? I have a photo in my avatar but most people don't, neither you nor I have any idea at all what color their skin is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.