GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,364 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Otherworld Scenarios- Speculation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Sips
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I'm just curious if anyone has any insider information, or any predictions. I don't have a copy of either core sets yet, but it is my understanding that each core set has six scenarios geared specifically for the Otherworld included in their respective box. Is it reasonable to assume that the upcoming Otherworld expansions will also follow suit and come along with six new scenarios specific to their world?

Just wondering as I'm really looking forward to this game and want to be able to get some extended play out of it. I realize with the random drawing of map layouts and threats, this make for a variety in replayability, but I'm sure a few people I will play with may get tired of accomplishing the same tasks. Not sure if just an added monster or new map tile can keep their enthusiasm.

Thanks for any visions in the crystal ball.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
Due to the random nature of determining the next room to enter, what encounter/attack you must deal with (if any), and if the results affect whether you are closer to finishing the mission or not, it's next to impossible to play the same game twice, even if you run though the same "mission".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
Each box contains six basic missions (shared between both boxes) and six missions that are specific to each box. So, as of now, there are 18 missions to play through. But, the important thing to keep in mind is, even so, every time you play, you will have a different experience, for reasons I stated above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Sips
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I understand the randomness of drawing things like encounters, threats, and map tiles, will create a new "experience" each run through. However, my concern has to do with overall theme and people getting tired of saving a preacher's daughter for the fifth time. You know what I mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
powerwindow wrote:
I understand the randomness of drawing things like encounters, threats, and map tiles, will create a new "experience" each run through. However, my concern has to do with overall theme and people getting tired of saving a preacher's daughter for the fifth time. You know what I mean?

They did take measures to alleviate this. There is not a "save a preacher's daughter" mission, but there is a "save a random townfolk" mission with the victim determined by a D3.

That said, the Otherworld missions differ enough from each other that I'm sure the other missions (in Otherworld packs, and some tied to enemy packs) will provide even more variety. Targa has a Night Terror hunt, and Jargono doesn't just have a mirrored Slasher hunt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Sips
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Dave41fan wrote:

They did take measures to alleviate this. There is not a "save a preacher's daughter" mission, but there is a "save a random townfolk" mission with the victim determined by a D3.

Since I don't have the games yet, I forgot the rescued member was determined by a D3, but you get this jist.

Dave41fan wrote:
That said, the Otherworld missions differ enough from each other that I'm sure the other missions (in Otherworld packs, and some tied to enemy packs) will provide even more variety. Targa has a Night Terror hunt, and Jargono doesn't just have a mirrored Slasher hunt.

This is what I'm talking about. Variety in the missions your characters go on.

The great, and unfortunate thing I foresee with this game, is the continued expense to purchase new worlds, enemies, items, heroes, etc., to keep it fresh and interest piqued. I don't say this negatively. I hope FFP supports this game for a good stretch. I just need to convince other family members (read as "wife") to buy into the added content. Sometimes they're more responsible with monetary decisions. "Sometimes," who am I trying to kid? At least she's a gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
bjorn2bwild wrote:
Due to the random nature of determining the next room to enter, what encounter/attack you must deal with (if any), and if the results affect whether you are closer to finishing the mission or not, it's next to impossible to play the same game twice, even if you run though the same "mission".

Due to the same randomness, I sometimes feel that it doesn't matter much, which mission you play, since the gameplay feels the same in every mission. I would really like for more focused scenarios that are not just randomly all over the place...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
Not all of the book missions are totally random, nor do all deal with "find X clues then fight the big bad guy".

For less randomness in general, there's nothing stopping you from building your mine deck with the exact rooms you might want explore during your mission, and then playing the "advanced encounters" rules, which tie specific encounters to specific tiles.

You can also build your threat decks to suit your needs, and if you do random encounters, you can build your encounter deck to include events that tie together in whatever manner you see fit.

I do wish that FFP had included an overall plot with linked quests, but there's also absolutely nothing preventing you from creating your own string of missions that are tied together into a longer, overarching quest of some sort, full of consequences for failure and branching paths. If that's the style you're looking for, check out Hexcrawl, here on these forums.

Treat this like a sandbox, it won't let you down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already play the Hexcrawl and even the enemy attack tactics, but the Hexcrawl doesn't really help the gameplay feeling during the scenarios themselves and the enemy attack tactics are only helping a little bit, since more often than not, many of the enemies are dead before their tactic really can play out.
I am already trying out upping the difficulty even more, but I am at the same time slowly getting tired of trying and incorporating more and more house rules to make this more variable and less samey.
I'd just wish that the scenarios would have more effect on how the game and the fights during the game would play out and make it a little less...random and more focused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Sips
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Adam,
Thanks for the input. I do think when I get the game, I will definitely make use of the advanced encounters tied to the rooms. I think that's a really cool aspect of FFP's design.

On the other hand, perhaps I'm just too lazy, or lack creativity, to come up with custom scenarios. This is one benefit I find in forums like these, I can take advantage of the work that players choose to share.

I know that if I pick up both core sets, I'll have hours of content to dig (pun) through and the lack of any overall tying together of the scenarios will not be a disappointment. As I'm sure, just getting the mechanics down will be enough to keep things interesting. However, once the gameplay is second-hand, I do think linked scenarios in a true campaign that has an overall theme and end game would be welcome, especially if you are leveling up your hero along the way.

I personally tend to get involved in one game at a time and stick with it until my enthusiasm wanes, before looking to put a new board on our table. Right out of the box, I think this game has the potential to stay on our table for quite awhile. I just hope it's not short-lived, especially since I will be having to invest the extra time and expense into assembling and painting the minis. Granted, painting the minis is a personal choice, but really, who wants a gray Saloon Girl, or Gunslinger? I know painting has nothing to do with the mechanics of the game, but in my mind, it just somehow brings the game to life and I wouldn't forgo this step as a money saver. I also know that how long I can stay interested in the game is my doing, but as long as novel content, either official FFP, or user created, is available, I can see sticking with this game to make it worth the investment. I just wish I had gotten in on the KS for the cost effectiveness aspect.cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Mead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
For a little more variety in missions, try checking out some of the player generated content on this site.

Personally I'd recommend the One Way Ticket campaign, a linked series of 7 missions. What sticks out for me was some of the scenarios even had different Encounter cards for them, meaning it was truly something different (that and beating a hasty retreat along the top of a speeding train whilst being pursued by a zombie horde...) Last I heard the creator of this mission (Moavoamoatu) was also in the process of upgrading the town to give a different experience. Admittedly it requires a little work to make the necessaries (printer, laminator, scissors and time), but it's well worth it.

I remember reading the The Scourge Of El Sangriento (?sp) campaign, and liked how it sounded, but haven't had the chance to play it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Ruiz
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Neva Kee wrote:
I am already trying out upping the difficulty even more,

I read a lot of people complaining about this. Are the suggestions in the rules not enough to make the game continously challenging? Are the "Brutal" and "elite" stats and abilities not enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the FFP folks have been too busy to playtest a lot of Missions. They're probably testing new Missions/mechanics for the up coming stuff right now. Eventually when things settle down (probably some time in 2017) they may release new Missions for the base games. They traditionally put out new scenarios for their games at Halloween. I'm sure each new World package release will have more Missions as will, naturally enough, the Mission Packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cereal wrote:
Neva Kee wrote:

I read a lot of people complaining about this. Are the suggestions in the rules not enough to make the game continously challenging? Are the "Brutal" and "elite" stats and abilities not enough?

I guess it is not the difficulty that is bothering me, it is more that I sometimes feel that the game can be played on autopilot with very few meaningful decisions to be made. A typical heroes turn would be:

When no fight, repeat:
- move to nearest exit to explore
- if nearest exit not reached and location not scavenged, scavenge

If there is a fight, repeat:
- attack nearest enemy (sometimes there is a bit of a choice here, but not much) until it is dead

I guess I usually like a little bit more depth tactics-wise in a game than what is offered.

I was never much of a diablo or MMORPG player, so looting and leveling on its own doesn't appeal to me as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Ruiz
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Neva Kee wrote:
I was never much of a diablo or MMORPG player, so looting and leveling on its own doesn't appeal to me as much.

May I ask, what dungeon crawling board games you have enjoyed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neva Kee wrote:
cereal wrote:
Neva Kee wrote:

I guess it is not the difficulty that is bothering me, it is more that I sometimes feel that the game can be played on autopilot with very few meaningful decisions to be made. A typical heroes turn would be:

When no fight, repeat:
- move to nearest exit to explore
- if nearest exit not reached and location not scavenged, scavenge

If there is a fight, repeat:
- attack nearest enemy (sometimes there is a bit of a choice here, but not much) until it is dead

I guess I usually like a little bit more depth tactics-wise in a game than what is offered.

Totally get this. SoB is my favorite game, (currently at over 50 plays with player groups from 1 to 4) but that's partially because the issues you describe don't bother me. I recognize they are present and totally understand how people would dislike these aspects of the game.

I'm with you in hoping future missions are made more distinct than the current batch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cereal wrote:
Neva Kee wrote:

May I ask, what dungeon crawling board games you have enjoyed?

Sure
Even so some of these stretch the term "dungeon crawling" a bit, I would roughly feel that these games go into the same direction. I have so far enjoyed

- Mage Knight Board Game
- Legends of Andor
- Catacombs
- Descent 2 (1 was okay, too, but far too long for what it was...)
- Magic Realm

I am very much looking forward to:
- Mistfall
- Fantasy Quest
- Gloomhaven (I have very high hopes on this one regarding campaign systems!)

I'd like to play sometime:
- Myth

I did not very much care for:
- Mice and Mystics (it was good storywise, but it didn't do a lot for me gameplaywise - I will play this when my kids are old enough).

I feel that all of the above games that I've played give me something outstanding either storywise or gameplaywise (or both) and Brimstone is a bit lacking, because it has no real story apart from general setting AND gives me too few decisions / cool mechanics, gameplay wise and while I would really love to love it (that is why I try out the many house rules and changes offered here), for me it currently ultimately comes down to a very shallow gaming experience that feels like going through the motions a lot of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohh, you might really like Myth. The mechanics are puzzly and captivating (to me). I find it's similar in feel to the hand management/maximization of Mage Knight. Though story-wise it's non-linear much as Brimstone is.

EDIT: To get back to the OP, I'm very excited for the special mechanics being introduced in the new Cinder tile set! I'm happy there will be environmental effects on the tiles with lava depicted. Without the advanced encounters, the different tiles from the base set are basically the same in the way they play out. AND it looks like they're adding a lot of interesting mechanics to the new baddies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jomurph86 wrote:
Ohh, you might really like Myth. The mechanics are puzzly and captivating (to me). I find it's similar in feel to the hand management/maximization of Mage Knight. Though story-wise it's non-linear much as Brimstone is.

I feared as much after the second kickstarter for Myth ended a while ago...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.