GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,755 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Marooned Part I: Open Sea» Forums » General

Subject: Rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Lohr
United States
Stoystown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a cleaned up version of the rules for this?

I'd love to give this a try, but the rules posted are quite difficult to read... arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

No, I haven't found a need to revise the rules. Any section in particular that is confusing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lohr
United States
Stoystown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

maybe its something on my end, but when I open the file for the rules, this is what I see:

\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033\deflangfe1033{\fonttbl{\f0\froman\fprq2\fcharset0 Baskerville Old Face;}}
{\*\generator Msftedit 5.41.15.1515;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\nowidctlpar\qc\f0\fs96 Marooned Part I: Open Sea\par
\fs28 by Brian Bierma, 2009\par
Rules v1.0\par
1 Player\par
Play Time: 10 Minutes\par
\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\par
\b Intro\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi720\b0 The sun shimmering off of the water, the clear, blue water, it\rquote s great to be a pirate, but not today. The royal navy has had little success eradicating piracy on the high seas so they\rquote ve hired Edward the Blackheart and his crew to take care of the problem, and they are good at what they do as I\rquote ve discovered today. \par
Edward and his crew of pirate hunters has annihilated our ship, killed most of our crew, and sailed off. There is nothing left of our ship but debris floating on the now red sea. Luckily I was able to grab a few supplies and a leaky lifeboat. Good thing too, the sharks have finished off their \ldblquote food\rdblquote supply and are coming my way now. Getting to the island I see off in the distance is my only chance of survival.\par
\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\par
\b What you will need to play\par
\tab\b0 These rules, the player board, 5 lifeboat dice, 5 swim dice, and 5 glass beads or any objects to use as marker tokens, a six-sided die. \par
\par
\par
\b Objective\par
\tab\b0 Survive the attacks of the sharks and the two krakens in this area and make it to the island. You begin with a leaky lifeboat, a few spears, a bucket, and a knife. You begin the game in the lifeboat, Phase I. This phase will last until the lifeboat fills too full of water or is destroyed by the krakens and sharks. Once the lifeboat is unusable, Phase II begins, a desperate attempt to make it to the island by swimming armed only with a knife. \par
\par
\par
\b Setup\par
\tab\b0 Select the character and the secondary skill you want to use. Take the playerboard and place four glass beads on the appropriate values on the tracks. Set aside the five swim dice (they wont be used until Phase II). Take the five lifeboat dice and begin Phase I.\par
\par
\par
\par
\b Phase I: Lifeboat Phase\par
Turn Sequence\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-360\li720\tx720\b0 1)\tab Roll the 5 lifeboat dice.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-360\li720 2)\tab Set aside any sharks or krakens rolled (these cant be rerolled unless a skill allows it).\par
3)\tab The rest of the dice may be rerolled as many times as you\rquote d like.\par
4)\tab Once you\rquote re satisfied with the roll, count up the results (move the boat before damage is calculated).\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-360\li1440\tx1440 a)\tab Each lifeboat die moves one space closer to the island.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-360\li1440 b)\tab Total up the spear icons and compare that to the total attacks (each shark is 1 attack and each kraken counts as 3 attacks). For each attack above the total spear rolls, the lifeboat takes one point of damage. Also you may fire your gun to destroy one shark or kraken.\par
c)\tab The lifeboat floods one point each turn. For each buckets rolled, empty the boat by one point. \par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-360\li720\tx720 5) If the lifeboat is destroyed by damage, the excess damage does not carry over to the swimmer. If enough sea creature icons is rolled to destroy the life boat or the lifeboat floods up, move the boat closer to the island before it is sunk. If the boat still has one or more damage points left and not fully flooded, continue with step 1 otherwise into the drink, begin Phase II.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\par
\par
\b Phase II: Swim Phase\par
Turn Sequence\par
\b0 Set aside the lifeboat dice (they wont be used the rest of the game) and take the 5 swim dice.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-360\li720\tx720 1)\tab Roll the 5 swim dice.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-360\li720 2)\tab Set aside any sharks rolled (they cannot be rerolled unless a skill allows it).\par
3)\tab The rest of the dice may be rerolled as many times as you\rquote d like.\par
4)\tab Once you\rquote re satisfied with the roll, count up the results (swim before damage).\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-360\li1440\tx1440 a.\tab Each swim die moves one space closer to the island.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-360\li1440 b.\tab Each knife die will fend off and negate a shark attack. Each shark attacks without a knife to negate the damage will damage your swimmmer health by one.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-360\li720\tx720 5)\tab If your health is above zero, continue with step 1. If not, you\rquote ve been eaten and the game is over.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-360\li720 6)\tab If you\rquote ve made it to the island space, you\rquote ve won!\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\b\par
\par
\par
\par
\par
\par
Characters\par
\tab\b0 The character's starting health is also his maximum helath. Some characters begin with a single shot hand gun. The starting shots are listed for each character. At any time on Phase I, a shot may be used to destroy a shark or kraken (deduct their attack from the total). Only one shot can be used per turn (it takes a turn to reload). Shots cannot be use in Phase II (the gunpowder will be wet).\par
\b\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-720\li1080\tx1080\b0 1) \ldblquote Crazy\rdblquote George: George\rquote s accuracy with a spear is legendary. \par
Starting Health: 4\par
Starting Shots: 2\par
Primary Skill: Once per turn +1 to the spear roll total.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-720\li1080\par
2)\tab\ldblquote Lucky\rdblquote Luke: Luke loves playing dice games and is known for his incredible luck. \tab\par
Starting Health: 2\par
Starting Shots: 0\par
Primary Skill: Once per turn you may reroll any one die including shark and the kraken.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-720\li1080\tx1080\par
3) William the Navigator: Will is able to find the best sailing routes and the best winds.\par
Starting Health: 5\par
Starting Shots: 1\par
Primary Skill: Once per turn +1 to the lifeboat roll total.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-720\li1080\par
4)\tab Robert the Shipwright: Robert is a skilled ship builder.\par
Starting Health: 3\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-720\li1080\tx1080 Starting Shots: 3\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-720\li1080 Primary Skill: For each 2 buckets rolled, repair one lifeboat.\par
\par
5)\tab\ldblquote Ole One Eye\rdblquote Bruce: Mean when sober, mean when drunk. He lost an eye in a fight.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-720\li1080\tx1080 Starting Shots: 2\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-720\li1080 Primary Skill: Once per turn +1 to the knife roll total.\par
\par
6)\tab Sam \ldblquote The Kid\rdblquote : \ldblquote The Kid\rdblquote is in top form in the water.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-720\li1080\tx1080 Starting Shots: 4\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-720\li1080 Primary Skill: Once per turn +1 to the swim roll total.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\b\par
\par
\par
\par
Secondary Skills\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-720\li1080\tx1080\b0 1) Tough: Once per game, when your health is less than one, gain two health.\par
2) Handy: Once per game, when your lifeboat health is less than one, gain two lifeboat health.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-720\li1080 3) Lucky: Anytime you roll 3 or more knife dice, you may reroll any one die (including the shark).\par
4) Medic: Use a knife roll to heal one point of health or attack as normal (your choice).\par
5) Deck Hand: Bucket rolls are doubled.\par
6) Strong: Once per turn +1 to the spear roll total.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\par
\par
\b Lifeboat Event Table \par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-720\li1080\tx1080\b0 1) Heavy Storm: Lifeboat takes 1 damage and 1 flood\par
2) Storm: Lifeboat takes 1 damage \par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-720\li1080 3) Rough Waters: The lifeboat floods 1\par
4) Calm Waters: Rest and repair 1 lifeboat health\par
5) Calm Waters: Rest and empty 1 flood and 1 lifeboat health\par
6) Favorable current: Advance closer to the island by a d6 roll\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\b\par
\par
Swimmer Event Table\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-720\li1080\tx1080\b0 1) Weary: -2 knife total on your next roll\par
2) Wirlpool: Swimmer takes 1 damage\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-720\li1080 3) Riptide: Move backwards from the island by a d6 roll\par
4) Prepared: +2 knife total on your next roll\par
5) Calm Waters: Rest and gain 1 swimmer health\par
6) Favorable current: Advance closer to the island by a d6 roll\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\b\par
\b0\par
\b Variants/Optional Play\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-360\li720\tx720\b0 1)\tab Randomly choose your secondary skills.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-360\li720 2)\tab Randomly choose you character.\par
3)\tab When you land on or pass spaces 27, 18, and 9 roll a d6 and follow the event table.\par
4) Swap out a lifeboat dice with a shark for a lifeboat dice with a kraken for a harder game.\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\fi-360\li720\tx720\par
\par
\par
\par
\pard\nowidctlpar\par
\par
\par
}

Any advice? Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lohr
United States
Stoystown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ok, I'll just skip this one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.