richard glanzer
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
Like Christian bigots
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Questions come up all the time when I play this, and sure enought answers on in the rules.
But tonight...

OK, 4 player game. 3 castles each.
Every player has two tiny domaines with two of their castles.
so we each have one castle left, not in a domaine.

so each of the others has one castle and one knight in the giant center swath of the board.
i have two knights with my castle.
so when the domaine was formed, that caused my domaine to be closed in, do I get to claim the remaining squares on the board?

now

a domaine was formed by white, enclosing my red castle and knight. Essentially, is that castle dead for the rest of the game?

thanks
richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
glanfam wrote:

so when the domaine was formed, that caused my domaine to be closed in, do I get to claim the remaining squares on the board?

I found your question slightly unclear as you don't talk about the action that build the wall, but in principle whenever a wall is placed such that any players castle is now completely alone, surrounded by walls or the board edge, that player forms a domain of that size and claims the points.

Quote:

a domaine was formed by white, enclosing my red castle and knight. Essentially, is that castle dead for the rest of the game?

Yes. You want to prevent this by adding more knights earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that I entirely understand the first question, but I'll give it a go.

Quote:

If someone else has isolated your castle in a space with no other castles in it, then yes, it is all your domaine, and you score for the whole area. If "the remaining squares on the board" were all in your domaine, then, yes you score them. It is possible that some squares could be cut off as a neutral area with no castles before the last domaine is formed. Obviously, you would not score these, since they are not in your domaine.

Quote:

If I follow, the red domain is completely enclosed by the white domaine, and both have one knight. If your red domaine has no room to add a knight, then, yes, it is most likely stuck. However, white might loose its one knight to a different domaine via a deserter card. Then the red domaine would be able to push out into white's territory.

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard glanzer
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
Like Christian bigots
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules questions
OK. Will try to be clearer with my questions.

White has a domaine with two knights.
Red has a castle with one knight in that domain.
Someone plays a deserter card, removing one of his knights.
We each now have one castle and one knight.
1. Does he lose points for that area that he just lost.
2. Can red or white add a knight to take control of the area? and if yes, when and how do they get points.
3. Or is that now a neutral area for people to expand into.

--------------------------------------------------------

Can I (red) form a domaine that has the following composition
Red + two knights
White + 1 knight
Blue and 1 knight

Can I form a neutral domain that has the following composition
Red + 1 knights
White + 1 knight
Blue and 1 knight

Can I creat an empty domaine to prevent someone from grabbing it
and taking a lot of points?

Thanks for your help everyone
I love this game and so many little issues keep coming up

Richard Glanzer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are greatly confusing terms and, I suspect, some basic element of gameplay because of it. A "domaine" is very specifically defined in the game. A domaine is a region containing EXACTLY ONE castle. A region is any set of squares defined by a closed loop of border stones and, possibly, the outer border. At the start of the the game, there is one region and no domaines. If a line of border stones divide the board in half, there will be two regions and no domaines. Once a region has ONLY ONE castle in it, THEN it is a domaine.

Thus, talking about forming domaines with multiple castles in it is nonsense. You can form regions with multiple castles, but regions do not score points. There is no "taking control of an area" when two players have castles and knights in the same region. Points for forests and towns (and contol of mines) are only granted when a domaine is formed (or expanded). As long as two castles (even if the same color) are in the same region, it is NOT a domaine, does not score points, and does not give control of mines.

I am not saying this to be mean, but I think you need to carefully re-read the rulebook. Until you understand how domaines actually work, you're playing a VERY different game from the rest of us. I'll certainly try to answer helpfully if you still have questions once you get this all sorted out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.