GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,866 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Warhammer» Forums » General

Subject: Warband rules (or other simpler variants) - any updates ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francesco
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody,

I would like to know if there have been updates since the last warband rules in 2006 ( http://www.thekeeponline.com/documents/Warbands.pdf)

I really like the Warhammer universe, but the playing time and complex rules (plus balance issues) has prevented me to play this game with my friends for many years. Now I am thinking to switching completely to other systems (e.g. Battlelore) but I would really prefer to find a way to use my Bretonnian and skaven miniatures.

Could you suggest me some variants (like the warbands) I could use for playing warhammer with people new to the game (but already experienced in games such as Runewars, Summoner wars, Descent, ect...) ??

Thank you very much for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kings of War is designed for you to be able to use miniatures from any fantasy system. If Fantasy ever goes south that is where I'm taking my Bretonnians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
iamJMAN00793 wrote:
Kings of War is designed for you to be able to use miniatures from any fantasy system. If Fantasy ever goes south that is where I'm taking my Bretonnians.

Hasn't it already gone south for them?

- Dwarf painter who really wants to have a bretonian army but is losing hope

(Also, songs of blades and heroes or something like that gets recommended a lot.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamJMAN00793 wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion, I didn’t know about Kings of War.

scifiantihero wrote:
(Also, songs of blades and heroes or something like that gets recommended a lot.)

Last year I had a look at songs of blades and heroes and I was interested on it (I felt it was a sort of Mordheim) but I got overwhelmed by the amount of possibilities (and possible balance issues) in mustering your army.yuk

That's a good tip but what I am looking for is a system I could more easily introduce to people who are not used to play wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
heroscape, though I guess it would take a little creativity on your part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
iamJMAN00793 wrote:

Hasn't it already gone south for them?

- Dwarf painter who really wants to have a bretonian army but is losing hope

Yeah, it has been rough, but unless GW squats my Brets they will bravely take the field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
Mithrandir82 wrote:
Hello everybody,

I would like to know if there have been updates since the last warband rules in 2006 ( http://www.thekeeponline.com/documents/Warbands.pdf)

I really like the Warhammer universe, but the playing time and complex rules (plus balance issues) has prevented me to play this game with my friends for many years. Now I am thinking to switching completely to other systems (e.g. Battlelore) but I would really prefer to find a way to use my Bretonnian and skaven miniatures.

Could you suggest me some variants (like the warbands) I could use for playing warhammer with people new to the game (but already experienced in games such as Runewars, Summoner wars, Descent, ect...) ??

Thank you very much for your help.

Hi. I was struggling with the same problems. Too many miniatures. And Warhammer is not a fine game. So I started playing a good game with the mini's. Warmaster! You can follow my thoughts about it in my blog at BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/blogcategory/1403 .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tocoking wrote:
[
Hi. I was struggling with the same problems. Too many miniatures. And Warhammer is not a fine game. So I started playing a good game with the mini's. Warmaster! You can follow my thoughts about it in my blog at BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/blogcategory/1403 .

Thanks for the suggestion but, looking at the manual, Warmaster seems as much complicated as Warhammer and I probably won't be able to introduce it to a person not used to this kind of games.

On the other hand I have investigated a bit more Kings of War and it seems much less complicated than warhammer. I have read there are some balance issues (which hopefully will be addressed in the upcoming second edition) but, considering it is a game which lasts about one hour, for me it is acceptable.

In order to make the game more accessible to a new player, I will remove the option to use the musician and banner for all the units, and I will make reference cards for the units I have (characteristic and ability on the front, a reference image and the background on the back). When picking up an army the players will still have a lot of choices since they will have to select the units (and their size) plus assigning the magical artefacts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
You are absolutely right about Kings of War. I think that's the system that suits your playstyle best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the 4th July 2015 "Age of Sigmar" (Games Workshop) will also be revelead and it will be worthy to have a look at it, especially if (according to the some rumours):

- the rules will be available online
- the game system will be compatible with all the existing miniatures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AoS is here. All FOUR pages of rules.

Love it or loathe it, it makes Warhammer Skirmish look complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a first look at it and, while it is less complicated than Warhammer Fantasy, it seems to me that:

- The four pages of rules (without figures) still hide more complexity than necessary, without mentioning the rules contained in the war scrolls. whistle
- The game balance seems even worse than before.

Although I appreciate the intention to make the game more user friendly (adding also jokes in the rules), I would still prefer to play a game which has streamlined rules and it is balanced. So, for now, I think I will stick with Kings of War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.