Subject: The Player with the most victory points... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so there's a card in the event deck that forces the player with the most victory points to give other players one resource card.

However, for years we've always played that not all your victory points are within view of other players...if you draw a University card, for example. These always kept some mystery and intrigue going if someone had a couple face down development cards in front of them. Are they VPs? Soldiers they haven't played yet? Hmmmm...

However, it seems that if you play with these event cards, all your victory points, no matter the source, MUST be public knowledge. Is this a "true" rule in the basic game already? Have we ben playing wrong? I kinda like the "not knowing" method. The way around this would be to have the person with the most "visible" victory points have to give up resources, but...

Thoughts?

Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it applies to the player with the most visible victory points.

I'm not certain, but in the rules I think that the points gained from cards are declared when you flip the card over, which - logically - will be when you claim victory.

So ... if you have 6 points on the board and three points on cards, you only have 6 points until you decide to declare your cards.

Does that make sense ?

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
I think it applies to the player with the most visible victory points.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at in my last sentence...

Quote:
"The way around this would be to have the person with the most "visible" victory points have to give up resources, but..."

Would be nice if the rules spelled that out a litte more though. But, I guess we'll do it that way...by "visible" VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
You don't have the victory point of the University until you play it and claim it.

The card is, thus, perfectly clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The +1 VP cards are held in hand and only played when they would give the player enough points to win. So there's no hidden vs. open VPs - all VPs are open, you just have some cards you haven't played yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
beri wrote:
The +1 VP cards are held in hand and only played when they would give the player enough points to win. So there's no hidden vs. open VPs - all VPs are open, you just have some cards you haven't played yet.

Sorry. You're absolutely wrong. The point of the VP cards is to have concealed points to obfuscate who may be winning. VP cards are not points until played. They are a secret advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You're both saying the same thing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card is Neighborly Assistance (pictured bottom right).

The obvious way to play this card is to apply it to the person with the most victory points that are visible. The Event Cards also include Victory Point cards, which naturally track the visible victory points, and it seems most in keeping with the intent of the game to apply the Neighborly Assistance event in the same way. To force players to reveal the secret victory points earned from Development Cards merely for the purpose of this event would seem to conflict with the spirit of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Avin wrote:
You're both saying the same thing!

I believe that there is actually a special rule for these VP cards: these are the ONLY development cards you may play more than one at a time. You may play multiple VP cards only when it lets you win.

Under that reading, I don't think that you really "have" the points until you've played them, so Neighborly Assistance should refer only to visible points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Dumitru
Romania
Otopeni
Ilfov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you do in case of a tie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fl0po wrote:
What do you do in case of a tie?

It is stated upon the card: All players with the most VPs must give a card to the player(s) with the fewest VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.