Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Landlord!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quick rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David K
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick questions:

1) Can you build any number of buildings on your turn (provided they're completed, of course)?

2) Can you take actions, build buildings, and place tenants in any order you like during your turn? Or are you limited to the following specific sequence: build/renovate, place tenants, take actions?

3) How is income calculated when you have one (and only one) building that is occupied by a squatter and you're in jail?

Thanks in advance.

-V
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nanich .
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
I have the same questions after playing my first game. The rules were not all that clear. I was also curious about adding tenants. Can you only add one tenant per turn?

- n
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Volstag wrote:
Quick questions:

1) Can you build any number of buildings on your turn (provided they're completed, of course)?


Yes.

Quote:

2) Can you take actions, build buildings, and place tenants in any order you like during your turn? Or are you limited to the following specific sequence: build/renovate, place tenants, take actions?


The turn order is merely Examine - Play - Collect Rent - Buy Cards. During Play you can build, add tenants and take actions in any order with no cap on how many cards you place.

Quote:

3) How is income calculated when you have one (and only one) building that is occupied by a squatter and you're in jail?


I'd say you get nothing since buildings with squatters give nothing at the best of times. Jail shouldn't scale your income up.

(note: when not in jail you get $1 for every empty apartment you own, but in jail that gets scaled to $1 per building. This downward scaling is what should be kept in mind since jail is an economic punishment).

Nanich wrote:
I have the same questions after playing my first game. The rules were not all that clear. I was also curious about adding tenants. Can you only add one tenant per turn?

- n


You can add as many as you like. The rules do not stipulate a limitation and I'm fairly sure it's not an oversight.

"The player may play as many or as few cards as he chooses...
By playing cards a player may:

[list]
[*]Build or Renovate a building
[*]Place a tenant in an apartment
[*]Take an action.[/list]"

That's a quick copy from the rules (damn the admins for playing with conventional bbcode).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orangepeel Beef
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Here's what I don't understand... It says that the number in the lower left represents the maximum number of floors a tenant is willing to live in.

So for example, the Manager who has a 1, but fills up 2 slots, is the only building he will live in a single floor apartment with a cellar or a roof dormer?

Are the pensioners the only exception since they have a 1 also but the card states they must live only on the first floor or cellar? Or are the rules wrong and that is the maximum height they are willing to live in? If so, "portrait" cards do you count the number where the top of their card is or the bottom?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark MacRae
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
orangepeelbeef wrote:

So for example, the Manager who has a 1, but fills up 2 slots, is the only building he will live in a single floor apartment with a cellar or a roof dormer?


Exactly.

orangepeelbeef wrote:

Are the pensioners the only exception since they have a 1 also but the card states they must live only on the first floor or cellar? Or are the rules wrong and that is the maximum height they are willing to live in? If so, "portrait" cards do you count the number where the top of their card is or the bottom?


All you have to remember is that Cellars and Dormers (or renovated roofs for that matter) do not count toward the number of floors in the building. Only "floors" (the backs of the cards) are counted as floors. Makes sense when you think of it that way, eh?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Carter
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Volstag wrote:

3) How is income calculated when you have one (and only one) building that is occupied by a squatter and you're in jail?


I'd say you get nothing since buildings with squatters give nothing at the best of times. Jail shouldn't scale your income up.

(note: when not in jail you get $1 for every empty apartment you own, but in jail that gets scaled to $1 per building. This downward scaling is what should be kept in mind since jail is an economic punishment).


The rules state elsewhere that if none of a player's buildings produce any rent during the 'collect rent' phase, the player receives $1 anyway. It does not state that being in jail has any effect on this, so I would assume that you *would* receive $1 in the situation described above. Note that this doesn't mean that being in jail has led to your income increasing; you would also have received that compensatory $1 if you had not been in jail.

I think it'd be a bit harsh if being in jail meant you couldn't even collect the $1 minimum you're entitled to every turn. As you have to pay to get out of jail if you don't already have a get out of jail free card and your opponents don't do anything that could get them into jail, you could be stuck in there forever if you're banned from receiving the minimum income. This could actually happen in a two player game, if you let your guard down. I suppose it's not like the $1 minimum is going to help you much anyway, but a $0 minimum is even harsher.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.