Subject: What's the replayability value of HotS? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Sykes
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm seriously considering getting this game - looks great, the reviews sound great and being Scottish it's a period I'm interested in too. My only conern is the replayability value - will i still want to take this off the shelf this after the novelty has worn off? Are you guys still playing this regularly? Does it have enough variation from game to game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in the answer for this too. I've just ordered it from Thoughthammer as one of the Christmas presents my family will give to me.

From what I hear, it sounds like it is actually quite replayable, but I'd like to hear more from BGG fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Jones
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
HotS is one of my favorite 2 player wargames in my collection.

I have owned it for about a year and played A LOT online. Even now, if there are ever just two of us, this has a good chance of getting played.

The English and the Scots play very differently and with both sides there are multiple strategies available. Rules are simple and the game can be tense with evenly matched players.

I do not personally know anybody that does not like this game, although I am sure there are many around BGG.

Try it online if you are not sure, but I think it is a good buy. You can find the link from the columbia web site.

Crusader Rex on the other hand, although by the same designer and using the same basic system, is a very different game. Unfortunatly, I have never managed to get anywhere like the fun/pleasure out of CRex as I have out of HotS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HotS has great replayability. Every game is different as the changing nobles really throws "Best Strategy" plans right out the window.

This game has a great feel for the period and keeps both players on the edge of their seats as battles swing back and forth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Chapman
United States
Medford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, agree with those above. HoTS is a fantastic game, and has tremendous replay. A friend of mine and I sat and ran off 3 games in one night, each one having a different feeling based on the turn of the cards. Highly recommend!

Chap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sykes
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, you've convinced me to order it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to pick up Memoir '44 as my entry into war gaming. Hoping that it's simple enough for either my wife (who enjoys Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride, but doesn't feel she'll want to play a war game) or 4 year-old son to play with me.

If I enjoy it and go for a deeper game, how would Rommel (sp?) in the Desert compare with Hammer of the Scots? From just what I've read at BGG, RitD seems more interesting to me than HotS.

Thanks,
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammer of the Scots is the only game I’ve rated 10 on BGG. I'm Scottish which admittedly influenced it, but it's a game I'm still happily playing 4 years after I picked it up.

I don't think replayability is an issue. As noted in earlier posts, each side has unique strengths and weaknesses, and different strategies. There is luck in the game in terms of the cards you draw at the start of each game year and the dice you roll in combat, but that keeps it fresh for me - it's not a game that you can 'solve'.

Rather, it's a question of knowing the game well enough to make to best decisions in your current position. Sometimes you’ll do well to hold or withdraw gracefully with minimum loss, sometimes you’ll see a great but risky move, sometimes you’ll think you have a clear path to success, but always there is the unknown element of your opponent’s army’s strength and card hand.

It’s a game that rewards adaptability, bluff and calculated risk taking alongside an intuitive feel for probability and optimum moves. This keeps it fresh for me – each game is indeed different.

RITD is similar in feel, and was my favourite Columbia dame prior to HOTS. It has more scenarios (HOTS only has two official ones and I generally only play the first), although some of them are very long. However, it’s more complicated (the logistics rules are excellent, but will likely baffle anyone not well read in the conflict), and can be very unforgiving – lose one critical battle and you could easily lose the whole game.

Between two reasonably experienced players, RITD is excellent, fun but with tense knife-edge decisions the norm. While an experienced HOTS players will despatch a newbie fairly easily, it is an easier game to master, and requires less knowledge of the historical situation to enjoy.

However, the bottom line is that both are excellent games in their own ways, and I easily recommend both (and no, I have nothing to do with the Columbia company!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Marshall wrote:

RITD is similar in feel, and was my favourite Columbia dame prior to HOTS.

I had always wondered if there was a correct gender when referring to games. Now I know they are female. Thanks. I'm sure it should have been obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.