GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,603 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
53 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: The Dice Hate Me Games/Greater Than Games Dexterity Design Challenge! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We’re looking for a few good games – and this is your chance to win big, and possibly have your game design published!

Greater Than Games and Dice Hate Me Games would like to announce a new game design contest for 2015. Beginning on Tuesday, May 5, 2015, we will begin accepting submissions for game designs featuring a dexterity element. Submissions will be accepted through Monday, August 31, 2015. The winner of the contest will receive $250, a designer table at Unpub 6, and their design will be considered for publishing. The first runner-up will receive $100, and second and third runners-up each receive $75.

In addition to prize money, the Unpub 6 designer table, and consideration for publishing, design finalists’ entries will be featured prominently on greaterthangames.com, dicehatemegames.com, and on The State of Games podcast.

In order to enter the contest, designers should submit sell sheets, full rules, component files, and, if available, any playtesting feedback, gameplay videos, and information on previous designs. The full submission guidelines can be found at greaterthangames.com/2015-dexterity-game-design-submission-guidelines. Entrants may submit their designs to craig@greaterthangames.com.

Once the submission deadline has passed, our team will evaluate the designs and determine which entry will advance to the second stage. At that point, we will ask for a few entrants to send us a full physical prototype of their game. We will also require the designer to sign a non-compete agreement, as their game will have the possibility of being published by Greater Than Games.

A dexterity game, in the context of this announcement, is defined as a game that requires the combination of physical ability and strategic thinking. A few notable examples of dexterity games are Jenga, Animal Upon Animal, Pitchcar, Ascending Empires, Cube Quest, and Terror in Meeple City. Obviously, this is a very broad description, and allows for wide interpretation by the designer. Designers are encouraged to be innovative and diverse in their submissions, and all themes will be considered equally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C East
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify, is this competition open to international designers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hzfreelancer wrote:
Just to clarify, is this competition open to international designers?

Absolutely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple questions:

Are games that are already entered in the BGG database as web published (PnP) still eligible for the contest?

Are games that have been entered into design contests on BGG eligible as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Germflinger wrote:
I have a couple questions:

Are games that are already entered in the BGG database as web published (PnP) still eligible for the contest?

Are games that have been entered into design contests on BGG eligible as well?

Yes and yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

I will definately have an entry for you then!

Also, thanks for showing a little live for Dex games, they need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need a Ticket/Table at UNPUB 6!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun contest, thanks for hosting.

A couple of questions about the submission requirements:

For component files, do you mean the actual art files for whatever printed components the game uses, or just some photos of the prototype to see what it looks like (and verify that it actually physically exists)?

For "previous designs from this designer" -- I'm not sure what you're looking for here (published? unpublished?) and why you're asking for this info; seems like it biases the contest toward (or against?) "veteran" designers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we partner up with other designers?

I have stalled progress on Manacast but would love to work with someone to get it going again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwarrend wrote:
Sounds like a fun contest, thanks for hosting.

A couple of questions about the submission requirements:

For component files, do you mean the actual art files for whatever printed components the game uses, or just some photos of the prototype to see what it looks like (and verify that it actually physically exists)?

Anything that will show off the game is fine. Typically, designers will submit any digital files they used when creating the game, but if the prototype is all created by hand then pics of the game set up or in action will do just fine.

Quote:
For "previous designs from this designer" -- I'm not sure what you're looking for here (published? unpublished?) and why you're asking for this info; seems like it biases the contest toward (or against?) "veteran" designers?

Published, unpublished, anything you've worked on. This is not to create bias, just to give us a better overview of each designer and things they've worked on in the past. I can promise you that an unpublished designer would get the same consideration as someone like Richard Launius - I'm just looking for the best of the best.

Cheers,
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JewellGames wrote:
Can we partner up with other designers?

I have stalled progress on Manacast but would love to work with someone to get it going again.

Sure! Just work out an agreement between yourselves in case the design is chosen as a winner so that there are no hiccups later on down the road.

Cheers,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mancini
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
Hey there,

When you say a non-compete agreement, what exactly are the terms? Also will the winner receive a license agreement with royalty in addition to the award sum? Will that effectively act as an advance, or is it independent of the license agreement?

Do rights to all submissions not selected fot publication revert immediately back to the designers once the contest is over?

Just want to get a full picture of the terms of this contest...thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Triple Trestle Treasure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going down the worm hole on this one... WIP!
Time-A-Port
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ckirkman wrote:

Sure! Just work out an agreement between yourselves

Cheers,
Chris

These guys are kind... and would allow you to walk away in a pinch.

The way it looks to me is that Publishing is secondary to the philanthropic effort of generating a qualified design.
Restated, I think they are throwing this $500 bait in the water hoping to get a bite. Knowing it could be a whopper or pay out the money with nothing to invest in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you submit to ANY game company what are the contract terms in regard to money? none... they only want control of the design while deciding to buy/publish it.

Look at the contract you must sign to enter this contest. NONE. There for, they will be a deal cut that is agreed upon. Or else, you will win the contest with them having the right to publish pulled from them.

Who is trusting who? I recommend everyone enter this contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
cmancini wrote:
There may well be a license with royalty offered if the game passes muster, however there's no mention of it...and I would think that would be a HUGE motivator for designers, knowing that not only do they have the chance to be published, but make money off of every game sold.

I found this thread confusing because I thought designer royalty was the industry standard. I took it sort of like if there's a book contest with the possibility of publication for the winner, the author would get a royalty with that. The publisher wouldn't need to spell that out.

Is it common for game companies to buy the game license for a set price and then not pay a royalty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmancini wrote:
Any info on your terms here guys? Are you simply offering the prize money and the satisfaction of being published, should you choose to publish one? Will you offer a license agreement with ongoing royalties to the published designer, as is standard in our business?

I imagine the goal here is to find a game so incredibly awesome that you do publish it, and it becomes a success for your company...in which case the question of how you plan on treating the designer is very important to those considering sending their games to you.

A simple clarification of the non-compete (which should really be an option agreement; a non-compete really has no place in a contest such as this and frankly is a bit offensive to those who understand what these contracts typically entail), and additional information on how you plan on financially supporting your partner designer should a game go to market would not only give comfort to those planning on submitting, you'll likely see many more submissions...which is good for your contest and company.

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay in responding. To clarify a bit on your points:

1) The overall goal is to find a game (or games) that are suitable for publishing. Our hope is that the grand prize-winning entry of the contest will be just such a game. There is a chance that more will be offered publishing contracts. These contracts will be the standard to which we have signed our other designers, with terms and a royalty structure.

The contest specifically states "may" be offered a publishing contract because you never know if you're going to receive an inbox full of unpublishable game submissions. That is very unlikely, but we can't guarantee a contract before we have evaluated every design. We will still reward prizes and such, but the publishing contract will be contingent on viability and an agreement between us and the designer.

2) The non-compete agreement will only apply to those designs that are selected for Phase 2. In order to fully enter into Phase 2, eligible designers will have to complete a one-year non-compete agreement. This will simply state that for a year from the date of the announcement of the overall winners of the contest, no design may be submitted for consideration by another publisher. After that year, designers are free to submit to whomever they wish. Basically, this just helps to give us some market leeway in developing and publishing any design(s) that we have selected.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. Should you need further clarification, please let me know!

Cheers,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mancini
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks Chris that clarifies things perfectly...sorry for mucking up your thread, like I said I just get easily riled when it comes to protecting IP as I've seen good designers and friends get taken advantage of, usually because they don't know what to expect or ask for when they're starting out. I'll go back and clean things up a bit to keep the conversation focused on the task at hand.

I'm sure you guys are nothing but solid dudes looking to honestly grow your company, the industry and a few exciting new (or established) designers. Thanks again...and I hope you find that mega-hit you're looking for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick sibulo
Philippines
flag msg tools
What do you mean by dexterity element?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
princepat wrote:
What do you mean by dexterity element?

Quote:
A dexterity game, in the context of this announcement, is defined as a game that requires the combination of physical ability and strategic thinking. A few notable examples of dexterity games are Jenga, Animal Upon Animal, Pitchcar, Ascending Empires, Cube Quest, and Terror in Meeple City. Obviously, this is a very broad description, and allows for wide interpretation by the designer. Designers are encouraged to be innovative and diverse in their submissions, and all themes will be considered equally.

For more examples of games that include a dexterity element, you can check the BGG database for that specific category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this is a pertinent question, when you ask for photographs in a sell sheet, should it be of a print a play version or a copy as the designer intends it to be?
For example, if the game was intended for wooden dice and components, it would probably be converted to standard dice and cards stock cut outs in a print in play. Sorry, this is new to me. Thank you! -Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trunked wrote:
I hope this is a pertinent question, when you ask for photographs in a sell sheet, should it be of a print a play version or a copy as the designer intends it to be?
For example, if the game was intended for wooden dice and components, it would probably be converted to standard dice and cards stock cut outs in a print in play. Sorry, this is new to me. Thank you! -Chad

However best you can pictorially represent the game is fine. It doesn't have to have a lot of spit and polish - just your homemade version of things will be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TimeaPort
I had to modify this design. I had it set up for Triangulation with an app. Using the camera within the app, the Cube Recognition, and the actual triangulating and showing the resulting location.

So I changed the design to 3D objects sliding on fishing line.
Tiny Space Dudes with style! These guys slide on fishing line.

Center piece the fishing line is tied to.

Enjoying this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aVoidGames wrote:
TimeaPort
I had to modify this design. I had it set up for Triangulation with an app. Using the camera within the app, the Cube Recognition, and the actual triangulating and showing the resulting location.

So I changed the design to 3D objects sliding on fishing line.
Tiny Space Dudes with style! These guys slide on fishing line.

Center piece the fishing line is tied to.

Enjoying this.

I don't know what this is, but I'm loving it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.