Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin S.
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I just recieved the game today. The rules are kind of over whelming and/or I disagree with some of the rules. For example, if Germany conquers a part of France, Germany doesnt get anything out of it until France is fully defeated. Why is that? I will play by the rules, but im wondering why is that.

Also, I only got thru 2 pages of it today, plan on more tomorrow. I was wondering if a devoted person can stay active on here and help guide me thru my questions as i go along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ty sir. I just came up with my first questions:

1. I've been reading alot on "Attrition Options", what are those?

2. I also had a bit of trouble understanding how SW effects your income.

3. Me and my bro don't like the "spending limit" for each country on certain things, would it be a bad idea to exclude the limits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, read more of the rules today...

Im beginning to struggle with the rules... just becoming boredomsome. These rules are extremely long...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, anothe update, havent had much time with school in now...

Anyways, I played a MINI practice game and I came across ONE MAJOR problem that I know im doing wrong...

How much money does each thing cost and what is there to spend ur money on? Like I beleive attacking cost, I forgot how much DoW cost, ect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I noticed I got ripped off...

I have 4th editiong rules and box, but 2nd edition board :s

Does this make a difference? Does it cost to do an attrition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may only perform one attrition option per front, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whoa whoa whoa, do u mean all factors as in peices or attack values? Do u add up all or just the ones on the frontline or adjacent? Do they attack a certain space/area or does the opponent choose ANY peaice to eliminate on the front?

By front, you mean you can do an attrition in med., west and east, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehehehe, finally got to play a game of Attrition Only on the Easternfront.

I do have a few question (s):

1. Can you bulge into enemy lines through attrition? Like say you can get 3 "H" in an attritiong, can the defender choose 3 deep into their lines.

2. When hexes are taken, must you occupy them with troops and if so, with what troops?

3. Can you exploit with attrition? Like say a tank is in an attrition, and you move it into a hex occupied by attrition, can it cut off supply with zone of control?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mejustjustin wrote:
Ty sir. I just came up with my first questions:

1. I've been reading alot on "Attrition Options", what are those?

2. I also had a bit of trouble understanding how SW effects your income.

3. Me and my bro don't like the "spending limit" for each country on certain things, would it be a bad idea to exclude the limits?

Attrition refers to "lulls" in the fighting. Combat still occurs but is handled by a abstract method. Attritions are nice as they still incur damage to a opponent but doesn't take the BRPs it would take to allow an Offensive (which is a massive mobilizing of forces along the entire front and thus has more costs associated with them).

Strategic Warfare (SW) represents the loss of tankers, transports and other goods moved by ship (for the allies) and by rail (for the Axis). Axis sub warfare caused much loses to the Allied efforts early on and the Allied air campaign did the same to the Axis as the war progressed.

Spending Limit is good. It prevents the Axis from getting their entire force pool into the game too soon and makes it possible to defeat the Soviets. If you do away with it - the Germans will get too strong too quickly and the Soviets may never be defeated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mejustjustin wrote:

OK, here comes the confusing part: The counters are from the 2nd edition. The map is from the 3rd edition. The only difference between the 3rd and 4th edition are the rules. A 2nd edition map can be corrected easily by looking at 5.37 in the rulebook. Most of the problems were in graphics - a small portion of landmass was used by some as gaming allowed and by others as not allowed. The newer map took away the ambiguities. The reason for the detailed rules was the large amount of play that the game got and the rules lawyers that became involved. So, to take away ambiguities, they tried to cover every situation in the rulebook.

Basically:
Attrition (free and only one per front)
DoW (10 BRPs minors and 35 against France, Britain, Russia, America and Germany)
Offensive (15 BRPs per front)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mejustjustin wrote:
whoa whoa whoa, do u mean all factors as in peices or attack values? Do u add up all or just the ones on the frontline or adjacent? Do they attack a certain space/area or does the opponent choose ANY peaice to eliminate on the front?

By front, you mean you can do an attrition in med., west and east, correct?

By FRONT (Western, Eastern and Med. - you could do a pass on one, a Attrition on another and a Offensive on the 3rd if you wish). You add up all your factors that are adjacent to enemy units on THAT front (the unit has to be on the front NOT the unit your are counting - so a unit could be in the Med front but adjacent to a unit on the East front and be counted in the attrition) and then roll 1D6 on the appropriate table for ZERO BRP cost. Your opponent can then choose to eliminate any unit on THAT front (including one in the distant rear, does NOT have to be adjacent). Keep in mind that the option chosen also affects other game activities - like SR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mejustjustin wrote:
Hehehehe, finally got to play a game of Attrition Only on the Easternfront.

I do have a few question (s):

1. Can you bulge into enemy lines through attrition? Like say you can get 3 "H" in an attritiong, can the defender choose 3 deep into their lines.

2. When hexes are taken, must you occupy them with troops and if so, with what troops?

3. Can you exploit with attrition? Like say a tank is in an attrition, and you move it into a hex occupied by attrition, can it cut off supply with zone of control?

First, while you roll for the result - your opponent chooses which units to lose. Second, the hexes must be occupied by enemy troops after he has taken his eliminations. Third, you may advance into the hex ONLY with adjacent units (and if those units are armored - their ZOCs DO affect the supply/movement of the enemy units on his turn). Thus, a good attrition and the advance of armored units into key hexes could result in a huge number of troops being suddenly out of supply and/or "tied" in enemy ZOCs. Exploitation is a function movement/combat of an Offensive operation ONLY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.