Dominion: Adventures» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hireling and Champion duration if lost/trashed from play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett Baca
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
If a Hireling or Champion is removed from play (i.e. with Bonfire or Procession), I assume the "rest of the game" effect still happens, even without a card on the table to mark this effect. Please confirm.

Context: My brother wants to build a Grave Robber and Hireling deck, and try to win with an obscene amount of +Cards. I know King's Courts would work faster, but he wants to do it this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LinkDude wrote:
If a Hireling or Champion is removed from play (i.e. with Bonfire or Procession), I assume the "rest of the game" effect still happens, even without a card on the table to mark this effect.

I would say sure. The text on the card seems clear enough.

I don't understand how trashing your Champion or Hireling with Bonfire could ever help you, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
At least with the Hireling, it is just a way to get it into the trash so that it can be grabbed by Graverobber and played again and again. There wouldn't be any benefit to getting multiple champions in play (besides Diadem).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, but you also have to be careful that your opponent doesn't take the card from the Trash before you can. Unless you've got back to back turns, or something, trashing during the Buy phase with an Event doesn't go very well with Graverobber.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Baca
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I admit it's not practical, but my brother wanted to know if it's possible to get more than +30 Cards each turn, and it is. As long as nobody ends the game, there is no limit to recycling Hirelings. Kinda neat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
LinkDude wrote:
If a Hireling or Champion is removed from play (i.e. with Bonfire or Procession), I assume the "rest of the game" effect still happens, even without a card on the table to mark this effect. Please confirm.

Yes, if the Hireling goes away you still get the extra card every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
LinkDude wrote:

Yes, if the Hireling goes away you still get the extra card every turn.
Does the modifier (Throne Room, Procession, etc) remain in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Whizkid wrote:

Yes, if you Throne Room etc. a Hireling and somehow the Hireling leaves play, the Throne still stays in play. And if something makes the Throne leave play, that still doesn't stop anything from happening every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
I don't understand how trashing your Champion or Hireling with Bonfire could ever help you, though.

Makes it easier to restack your Walled Villages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Whizkid wrote:

Yes, if you Throne Room etc. a Hireling and somehow the Hireling leaves play, the Throne still stays in play. And if something makes the Throne leave play, that still doesn't stop anything from happening every turn.

Two examples to see how things work, assuming no cost-reducers have been played.

Example #1

1) Play Throne Room; choose Procession.
2a) Play Procession once; choose Hireling.
2b) Play Hireling twice.
2c) Trash Hireling; gain an action card that costs $7.
3a) Play Procession a second time; choose Mountebank (because!).
3b) Play Mountebank twice.
3c) Trash Mountebank; gain an action card that costs $6.
4) End turn; discard Throne Room. Procession stays in play for the rest of the game, because it was directly played on Hireling (duration).
5) At the start of every subsequent turn, +1 card and +1 card, i.e., +2 cards.

Example #2

1) Play Procession; choose Throne Room.
2a) Play Throne Room once; choose Hireling.
2b) Play Hireling twice.
3a) Play Throne Room a second time; choose Witch (again, because!).
3b) Play Which twice.
4) Trash Throne Room; gain an action card that costs $5.
5) End turn; discard Procession, because it was not played directly on a duration card. Hireling stays in play for the rest of the game.
6) At the start of every subsequent turn, +1 card and +1 card, i.e., +2 cards.

-----

And a "secret history" question: Hireling does not have a "while this is in play" clause. Was it done on purpose or accidentally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Picon wrote:
And a "secret history" question: Hireling does not have a "while this is in play" clause. Was it done on purpose or accidentally?

Well the entire point of saying "while this is in play" would be to stop you from getting the cards if you Procession'd it. In general it's not worth putting extra words on cards for rare cases. It was not unnoticed that Procession would get rid of Hireling while you still drew cards. I never considered adding text to address that, it is simply not something I would add extra words for.

Procession has tracking issues with Duration cards; I knew this when making Procession and decided it was cool enough to make anyway. I don't feel like new Duration cards have to address that, and it would be the same for all of them, Hireling just stands out because it's every turn instead of one more turn.

I didn't think of using Bonfire to cause tracking issues. It wasn't anything anyone ever did. I probably still wouldn't say "non-Duration" or something on Bonfire; again, making a card more complex for an exotic situation.

Now I did playtest a Treasure-Duration card, and it said "if this is in play," due to the multiple ways a Treasure can end up not in play. However saying "if this is in play" was too weird with no obvious reason for it, so the card had a clause that made it leave play sometimes, thus making "if this is in play" make any kind of sense for the casual player not thinking about exotic card interactions. The card didn't work out for unrelated reasons (not fun enough).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.