Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
So how do I review Lucky Loop? There is already one extensive review listed that I think sums up the game play fairly. My only question is why someone would take the time to write a review that likely takes longer than the game does to play. Especially this game.

I am biased as I received three copies of this bad boy in the Tanga Mystery Deal. So far I pawned one off on the winner of an impromptu /Mechwarrior tournament. Did I mention how much I hate the artillery rules in Mechwarrior! But I digress. Another copy is going to be involved in the office gift exchange (without the English rules added). That alone will be worth the entire price of the Tanga deal.

So why haven’t I made it to the game review yet? Well, there really is not much to it. The game feels like yahtzee to me in many ways. You have 5 dice of which you get to roll 3 per turn and are trying to exactly match a number. The game is entirely blind luck.

Sure you have decisions to make all over the place. You get to decide what cards to lay down, in what order, which ones to trade, which pile to draw from, and whether t ouse a token or not. But the only thing that really helps you modify the odds are the tokens. Nothing else really matters.

Lets take the cards. You have different colors to choose from which allow you to compete for different “stunts” but this is really irrelevant as no stunt is inherently worth more than any other. It’s all about the numbers you see. You can hedge probabilities by going for lower numbers that score less points, but your opponent can nail you if he/she gets a few big numbers or matches the target number exactly a few times without needing rerolls. I never felt that pressed with an important card decision that decided my fate. It was all up to the dice rolls.

For modifying dice rolls, we have the bonus chip. Each bonus chip allows you to add an extra die to the round (giving you a total of 6 to use but never more than 3 at any time) or allow you to entirely reroll one roll. As it takes three rolls to complete a stunt and the dice used to meet or exceed the target number for each roll are removed from the remaining, this is a handy thing. However the rules on how you gain them mean that you will almost always get one per turn unless you have horrible luck in which case you needed the chip but won’t get it. Adding one die can be important as can a reroll, but you are still basically making the same roll (i.e. always 3 dice or less). If adding a die allowed you to roll 4 at a time, then you could begin to have a little more “control” of the odds.

I’m not sure if it is supposed to be played this way, but we found it to be a race game. Each player raced to get 4 quick successes with each stunt and the one who did it first quickly did his/her freestyle stunt ending the game tidily ahead of everyone else. This was very unsatisfying as the rules have all these sections for beating others or your own high score at the stunts. Utterly useless and has no bearing on the game unless everyone rolls so badly that they cannot complete one stunt a turn. Also the one who wins seems to be the one who succeeds at a stunt each turn with maybe one missed turn. Thus, the game is about 5-6 turns in length. Perhaps our players are super “lucky.” Who needs to beat other people’s stunts anyway.

Lastly, lets talk about theme. There is none! 0! Nada! Nil! Each card is painted with an airplane doing something silly (if you read the rules, you will find that the cards each match a maneuver), but it really doesn’t matter. It is a DICE game and any theme could be used. You don’t like stunt planes, make it a building game, or submarine race, or a traffic simulator. The game is about dice and rolling the same or more each roll. You can’t even crash and burn, which I think might have saved this game. A little mayhem and destruction would have been fun especially if you could crash into another player’s plane. Alas, this is not to be.

My recommendation is to put this game away and buy liar’s dice, yahtzee or CLR. At least CLR does not have bizarre and confusing rules that seek to needlessly complicate a dice game. Besides, if you play it the right way you can win some money.

By the way, if you are an owner of the “Tanga deal”, don’t give this away as a serious present. Show you have some class and get your relatives/friends a good game. arrrh

P.S. Yes, this review took longer than the game does to play. I'm so ashamed blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Stunt Plane fun or shoot yourself with a large caliber g
Smilinbrax wrote:
Another copy is going to be involved in the office gift exchange (without the English rules added). That alone will be worth the entire price of the Tanga deal.

That's a great idea! I have 3 copies of Saga floating around here now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
By the way, if you are an owner of the “Tanga deal”, don’t give this away as a present. Show you have some class and get your relatives/friends a good game.

Even worse... Do NOT give this as your BGG Secret Santa gift!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Metelo
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well.. I was the lucky one that got the game from the Mechwarrior tournament (it really sucked that we used a set so heavy on artillery, as everybody had at least 3 in their armies from the sealed).

Anyway, my wife and a friend loved the game as beer and pretzel game to kill some time.. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.