Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Nylarthotep got an expansion (Dark Pharoah, which, though it could be played with any GOO, it really had Nylarthotep THEME to it)

And now it looks like He Who Shall Not be Named (We'll call him the King in Yellow, even if that's not his real name) is getting face time in the next card expansion.

So, does that mean that all eight of the original GOO's will be getting their own expansions? If so, how do the big box expansions fit into that? (Can Dunwich Horror be called Yog-Sothoth specific, or can the as-of-yet unannounced but probable Shadows Over Innsmouth be called Cthulhu specific?) Or, should I say each GOO is getting their own specific CARD expansions?

With

1. How well this game is selling (what is it, four print runs now?)
2. How much Lovecraft love is out there from nerds like us
3. How much material can be mined from the Lovecraft Mythos
4. How much FFG likes to run a good idea until it just can't go any more

I see 8 card expansions as entirely possible over the next few years, and even 2 or 3 big box expansions as well.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a ton of material to mine, and if the game continues to sell, there's a lot of potential (just look at all of the material available for Call of Cthulhu, from which the original boardgame sprang...) for expansion.

Not only is there Lovecraft's material, there's the writings of all of the writers who have been inspired by him - Dunwich Horror has at least three of those (Glaaki is from the writings of Ramsey Campbell, Shudde M'el is from Robert Lumley and Abhoth is from Clark Ashton Smith). Hastur, while mentioned by Lovecraft, was not fleshed out as a Mythos entity until August Derleth included it in his writings.

The King in Yellow is a pre-Lovecraftian writing by Robert W. Chambers, that inspired Lovecraft. He worked some of the references into his works, setting the stage for Derleth's writing.

For what it is worth, the King in Yellow is not usually considered to be Hastur. He may be an avatar, possibly a very powerful alien follower (like Dagon and Hydra are for Cthulhu) or something else. I'll be interested to see how FFG chooses to handle things in their expansion.

For me the biggest limiting factor may be table size - there are so many components already and the game is getting harder to fit on a table with each expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
deacondavid wrote:

For what it is worth, the King in Yellow is not usually considered to be Hastur. He may be an avatar, possibly a very powerful alien follower (like Dagon and Hydra are for Cthulhu) or something else. I'll be interested to see how FFG chooses to handle things in their expansion.

I don´t see much of a difference between an avatar and the GOO himself.
And, at least as far as the roleplaying stuff goes (I think, Arkham Horror is based more on roleplaying than on the original fiction), the King in Yellow IS an avatar of Hastur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And, am I mistaken, or aren't the MASKs Avatars of Nylarthotep?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, they are (some of the thousand forms of Nyarlo)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really hoping for more expansions. I love this game and would gladly purchase a larger table. My last game (Arkham + Dunwich) utilized 3 different tables! I'd be happy to expand. One idea I had was to put the top and bottoms of the two games down first with the board on top. That way you'd have space under the edges of the boards to put your character sheets. I'm also working on a card holder for all the other stuff....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Lang
Canada
Wellesley
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll risk being torn to shreds by asking this here, I'm sure.

My last play of AH with the Dunwich expansion left me a little ... underwhelmed. Personally I found that Dunwich really just made things needlessly more complicated and difficult.

So (in keeping with the thread of the post) would it have value in the expansions having something for beefing up the base game, but definately have parts that can be left out.

For example, the Dunwich expansion can be used quite happily if you just leave out the Dunwich board and any cards that deal with Dunwich. Makes the game beefier while not blowing up the size too much.

Alternatively, perhaps people could explain to me what I missed with Dunwich that adds more to the game with out just being....more.

(And for the record, I think Arkham Horror is one of the better boardgames I've played...please don't kill me!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deacondavid wrote:

Not only is there Lovecraft's material, there's the writings of all of the writers who have been inspired by him - Dunwich Horror has at least three of those (Glaaki is from the writings of Ramsey Campbell, Shudde M'el is from Robert Lumley and Abhoth is from Clark Ashton Smith). Hastur, while mentioned by Lovecraft, was not fleshed out as a Mythos entity until August Derleth included it in his writings.

I think you mean Brian Lumley
He writes the Titus Crow Novels and the Dreamlands and his newest novels (Actually a reprint of a 27 y/o series) deal with the Great Cthulhu himself.

He is my favorite author. I have read the entire Necroscope series about 6 times. Sorry to go sort of off topic but had to make the correction.

Unless of course there is another Lumley that writes Cthulhu Mythos books and in that case I apologize for the correction lol

For those interested

http://www.brianlumley.com/books/cthulhu/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Miller
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiyote wrote:
I'll risk being torn to shreds by asking this here, I'm sure.

My last play of AH with the Dunwich expansion left me a little ... underwhelmed. Personally I found that Dunwich really just made things needlessly more complicated and difficult.

So (in keeping with the thread of the post) would it have value in the expansions having something for beefing up the base game, but definately have parts that can be left out.

For example, the Dunwich expansion can be used quite happily if you just leave out the Dunwich board and any cards that deal with Dunwich. Makes the game beefier while not blowing up the size too much.

Alternatively, perhaps people could explain to me what I missed with Dunwich that adds more to the game with out just being....more.

(And for the record, I think Arkham Horror is one of the better boardgames I've played...please don't kill me!)

Don't feel so bad. Me and my friends feel the exact same way. I don't really like the Dunwich expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.