Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Bucey
United States
Lancaster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the very well attended CABs “After Turkey Day Game Day” Bob and I met to play some Panzer Leader. We rolled the die, and Bob took the Allied player in Bastonge: Siege. We decided to use Op/Fire, Quick March and Smoke (Limited to three shots per gun).

One other change we made was to close off the half hexes on the southern edge of the board. We both just really dislike running forces down the map edge.

(Unfortunately I forgot my camera so you'll have to settle for descriptions only).

Initially his setup had a huge hole because he failed to cover the bridge at C-C8. I pointed this out and he adjusted his setup; which was unfortunately as I needed all the help I could get. Bob actually setup his M7s in direct fire positions on covered hilltops to good effect; one each at C-H8, S4 and Z4. Doing this gave him an excellent boost to his otherwise weak anti-armor ability. He had his trucks and halftracks positioned to enable easy shifting of reinforcements when I played my hand.

Deceptively, the scenario looks large but in fact the German player does not have the ability to stage a broad front offensive. His forces are actually weaker in both number and value compared to Elsonborne Ridge, for example, and the Allied player has more and better artillery support and a large flight of fighter/bombers.

Essentially, I massed my forces in two places, with my tanks and about 1/3 of my infantry in the woods around D-EE10 and the rest of my infantry and the assault guns in the woods at D-W10. I screened most of board D with my truck/wagon brigade and used my armored cars and the Lynx to distract him between Einkel and St. Athan.

My initial assaults went well and popped a few of Bob’s forward screening units, and he scrambled to respond to the three pronged threat I started to develop. Turn 2 actually surprised him as I placed a smoke screen along C-E10, E8, E7, effectively screening his support units on the ridge from the bridge delaying forces. He decided to move his M7 forward onto the bridge and the assault guns and tank destroyers onto the forward slopes nearby. This actually played into my hands as I planned more smoke for the next turn in front of those spots and was looking forward to destroying an M7 by a massed tank/infantry assault.

It didn’t go that way.

First, I pushed my tanks to far forward and ended up losing 4 of them to direct fire attack. Part of the problem was that it took me two turns to actually kill the M7 and because I had such difficulty getting infantry into position for an assault I didn’t clear the bridge until turn 6. A combination of op/fire from the M7 and supporting Indirect Fire from his other 3 batteries basically destroyed my entire force in this area. I did manage to get the M7 and one of the M10s, but an artillery attack on one of his stacks resulted in four high odds attacks that failed to kill anything.

Meanwhile, in the center my assault along the ridge went well, too well, in fact. I decided to split them and sent two stacks north along the ridge and the third stack south with the hetzers, and I’m not sure why. This made both forces to weak to do any good on their own. The hezters never got into a meaningful fight. By turn 6 the unsupported infantry had gotten to the crossroads at C-G7 but by then it was to late, as most of the force assaulting the northern bridge was gone as well as my artillery, victims of the P47s.

In the south, the Armored cars and the Lynx put up a spirited fight and eventually drew an M7 down off the hill at C-Z4 in an attempt to pin them down. However, I managed to trade the Lynx for an M5 and three of my AC managed to slipped around though St. Athan and onto board A by turn 6, with plans to track down the Allied 155 mm and do massive violence to it, which they would have had we bothered to play the game past turn 7.

The real sorry story however was my artillery. I had grouped most of it to allow the anti-aircraft guns to provide them effective cover, but for some reason it just didn’t work out. Two turns after Bob’s first flight arrived I was left only with the mortars and less than half my flak cover. This did come at a price as I had shot down three of his planes and driven off two others, including the spotter, but the damage had been done and he still had another flight waiting in the wings.

At this point it was obvious to the most casual observer (and there were several that stopped by to offer their opinions) that I was simply out of options by turn 7.

This is an interesting scenario, and I hope to get in another game soon. Except for the Allied airpower neither player has a lot to work with, though the Allies are stronger and the Germans weaker than they are in Elsonborne ridge with a similar situation and objectives (with the differences of the blocks and restricted exit paths). The Allied air power makes a HUGE difference because of its threat to German artillery and I personally think even had I been doing well Bob would have been able to wipe out my artillery and bring my offensive to a halt just as I would be on the verge of breaking out. Now, mind you, we did close off the southern half hexes so maybe this would have made a big difference but I just really dislike running my forces down the map edge so I suggested next time we place a few strands of trees along there (using a couple of block counters to represent wood hexes at GG5 and GG6) that would allow the Allied player to put a blocking force there but also allow German vehicles to pass through. This would spread the Allied defense out but certainly not to the breaking point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
How long did the scenario take with you two? I haven't played Panzer Leader in a long while, and I might have to crack it open again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bucey
United States
Lancaster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to say for sure since there were other things going on that night at that meeting (such as a flea market), but I'd say about 3 hours to get through turn 7, and we both go kind of slow. Faster players should get that far in about 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.