Subject: First battle: Aboukir rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like Lance Wilkinson and M. Kirschenbaum, I set up the Aboukir battle to start with this game and this system...

The game went along the same lines as all the Aboukir games could go I guess:
- Napoleon moves forward with the infantry
- British and Turkish ships fire at them
- Ottoman stay behind their line, bringing artillery and leaders to stack with the front line troops to offer more resistance behind the trench
- French impact the Ottoman line and force them to retreat and to take loses
- Ottomans move back to the fortress while ships are still firing at the French.
At the end whoever had more luck with dice in inflicting causalities, while not receiving some, wins...

With almost only one leader on each side, no other choice than frontal assault, the game is really straightforward and victory will depend on dice rolls...
To sum it up, there is absolutely no interest in this scenario but learning the rules...
I hope the other battles in this box will be better...

Aboukir:thumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Hmm...just got this sim from eBay and although still in the honeymoon period I am actually enjoying this scenario. Yes it is frontal assault but that was what the historical battle was all about. And sure, victory will depend on dice rolls...in that respect I don't think it is different to all the other games I own.

I'll post into the strategy forum on my thoughts for this scenario as I think there is some play for both sides and it is not just 'let's play speed bumps' for the French player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.