Subject: Two questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there.

I have a few nitpicks with H&G, much obliged if you can help me out.

1. So, does completing an empty forest warrant a bonus tile or not?

I don't see this as too much of an issue, since a player can always complete an empty forest, put a meeple inside, score it and then draw a bonus tile. If the player has no meeples he usually has no much use of bonuses. However, the ambiguity of the question still bothers me.

2. The edge of the table - a firm boundary or not?

Let me explain. In yesterdays game we all put our tiles on the south half on the table. When one of my friends put a meeple on a forest square pretty near the edge, the other guy wanted to screw him over by prolonging his forest in such way that in order for the first one to complete it the tile should just about lean over the table edge. Needless to say, quite an argument broke out over it "WTF, I'll just push all the tiles a tiny bit and now I can put my tile here!" "No you can't, this is the edge, and the rules say you can't go past the edge and there is no mention of tile pushing!" I see no clear way of solving this.

There. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't got the rules handy so I wont comment on d10-1 for now, but with d10-2 the rules are quite clear which is why it such a neat tactic to employ is somebody is building something near the edge of the table.

As was pointed out in a Carcassonne thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/18214 Carcassonne does not have the same explicit rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good question (#1). We always play that if you have the tile to complete someone's forest you get the bonus tile but I don't think we've ever considered that that doesn't really require a meeple as in the situation you put out here. I would tend to say you would get the bonus tile even if you were out of meeples since you're not really using one when you complete someone else's forest. That would seem to be consistent except that no one has claimed that forest. I'm interested in seeing more responses here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Yes. You get the bonus for completing a forest containing at least one Gold nugget - whether it scores or not.

Quote:
2. The edge of the table - a firm boundary or not?

The edge of the table if not a firm boundary in the German originals. It is up to the players to decide what they will do in such a situation.

We have played hundreds of games and have never found it a problem: with anal players we define the playing area in advance, and with normal players we just move the tiles when this is easily done and decide not to when it it's not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the rules bother to make it explicit...
H&G Rule Book wrote:
The edge of the table limits the playing area. Thus, a player may not place a tile past the edge of the table or move the playing area to place a tile that would have been past the edge of the table.
... it seems pretty clear. No overhanging the edge, no moving the tiles.

The English rules of course post-date and supercede the German rules.

The question of closing a forest with a gem but no meeple is non-trivial. You may want to place your meeple in a different part of the tile but claim the bonus tile. You may have no meeple when you place the tile, but the placement may give you a bonus tile and simultaneously return a meeple to you, so the question is not mere intellectual curiosity.

I asked this very question a while ago and it generated quite a debate...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/84822

Someone refered to Jay's answer from Rio Grande in the thread
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/36148
... and Jay says you don't get a bonus tile if there's no meeple.

The PC version of H&G, you do get a bonus tile, though of course that may be simply an interpretation on the part of a coder somewhere... the detail is so finicky it's likely not to have been explicitly tested or refered to a "higher authority".

The upshot is... it's open to interpretation. Play it whichever way you prefer unless you can get a communication directly from the designer. Even then, you're allowed to play the way you prefer. We've played both ways and it's fine either way... the situations are rare and not game breaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fact is that Jay is often making his own changes to his games - some of which are intentional while others are not.

It is particularly absurd to state that the German PC game must be wrong due to lack of testing when it is apparent that it is Jay who again and again have failed to test his rules properly.

The PC game is playing the game according to the German rules. But unless you are playing the PC game - or are participating in an official world tournament - you can play any way you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

And if a tree then fell in that forest, would it make a sound or not? (Since there would be no meeple to hear it?)

The rules are unclear on this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.