Popular Tags: [View All]
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing the game a couple times, it sorta seems like the comodity market doesn't have much of an effect on the game. I was curious to know how often people had games where one commodity got bought up quickly. IT seems like in our games they are rarely very expensive and players always seem to have access to cheap sources of energy with which to power their plants.

-E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The market has an effect even without a commodity running out (which does happen sometimes, especially in the end game). For example, in the initial buy, the garbage plant is generally avoided, because of the way the market starts.

If you want to see the market effects more clearly, the France/Italy expansion has different setups on each board. The Italy board is pretty poorly provided with commodities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Play a few more games, the market can have a huge effect. It certainly doesn't always, but as an example I mentioned in a session report http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/57010#57010 we shut a player out of trash for about three turns in a row, which had a huge effect on his income.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't happen every game, but when it hits, it's like a ton of bricks.

I'd estimate there's a serious squeeze in about one-third of the games I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
The market can be an effective offensive weapon, especially when you're in last place (first to buy from the market). You can buy twice what you need, store it on your plants, effectively banking it for the next round simply to drive the price up for the following players. This can cause a neat little panic effect where more players buy twice what they need--and the stone you dropped in the pond ripples all the way to the leader who is now screwed.

Of course, this feature is weakened considerably with fewer players where it's much easier for everybody to be using a unique energy source and everyone is 'playing nice.'

Me, I like blood with my oil.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with trying to corner the market is it also costs you more. The net effect can often be screwing yourself, so this strategy has to be used with care.

For example, two players own coal plants and the first one to buy can store up to six; the second wants two coal to power his plant. If coal is currently at its lowest it will cost the first buyer an extra three elektros (for three more coal than is needed at 2 apiece - +1 elektro each to drive the cost up for the following buyer by two (because just purchasing three coal would have left the cost per resource at two rather than three). Plus in the following turn, both will be paying more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Cricket
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
My experience was that the first 4 games I played (all 3-player) the market didn't get particularly tight. The fifth game the winner won taking the last coal and squeezing out their closest rival. Since then (and I've played it many times now), the market has often been very tight towards the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
The problem with trying to corner the market is it also costs you more. The net effect can often be screwing yourself, so this strategy has to be used with care.

For example, two players own coal plants and the first one to buy can store up to six; the second wants two coal to power his plant. If coal is currently at its lowest it will cost the first buyer an extra three elektros (for three more coal than is needed at 2 apiece - +1 elektro each to drive the cost up for the following buyer by two (because just purchasing three coal would have left the cost per resource at two rather than three). Plus in the following turn, both will be paying more.

This actually has a run-on effect. If you've played it a few times, you'll remember saying at *least* once "Damn, short by 1!" - or similar.

Well, if you hadn't bought that last coal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's a gamble--but that's what makes it fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think new players see no/little effect on the market because they tend to overvalue the wind plants. Having a lot of players running wind takes the pressure off the coal/oil fuelers, letting them run more easily and buy less plants due to those plants generally having higher capacity. One of the high cap players will then end the game before the wind players can catch up in capacity.

Once players start to recognize the value of higher capacity, the market starts to tighten up considerably. It eventually gets to the point where wind power starts to be a viable option again. The game is all about balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:
I think new players see no/little effect on the market because they tend to overvalue the wind plants. Having a lot of players running wind takes the pressure off the coal/oil fuelers, letting them run more easily and buy less plants due to those plants generally having higher capacity. One of the high cap players will then end the game before the wind players can catch up in capacity.

Once players start to recognize the value of higher capacity, the market starts to tighten up considerably. It eventually gets to the point where wind power starts to be a viable option again. The game is all about balance.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this comment. Everyone has "ooed and aaahed" in my games when the wind power comes out. They sure sound sexy when you first see em.

-E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.