2 Posts

Scrabble» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Deluxe Travel Scrabble rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Scrabble is a game that's been around for a long time and it's easily a classic when it comes to board games. It's the one game my girlfriend (a non-gamer until I convince her otherwise) will play with me. The original version we had been playing was getting a little beat up and I wanted a newer edition, so I went looking for one. I actually bought a special anniversary edition with an impressive wodden box that opened into a table and had porcelain like tiles and special artwork and all. I ended up returning it because it just wasn't what I wanted. Then I came across the Deluxe Travel Edition in a trade. I won't go into the rules of the game, but instead focus on the components.

One Scrabble game is as good as another but this version has the qulaities that I've really been looking for. The first is a board where the pieces don't slide around. That's something that always bugged me for some reason. This travel edition has a plastic surface with raised 'walls' around each spot on the board so the pieces stay snug. The pieces themselves (in the version I have) are wooden and they're just like the tiles from other Scrabble sets I've seen, only smaller. Their small size shouldn't be a problem unless you have huge fingers or you drop the pieces under the couch a lot. The game comes with a litte pouch to put the tiles in made out of a course cloth material so I know it'll last a while. And of course there are plastic tile holders. They're just big enough to hold 7 letter tiles and again their small size is almost too small.

The board itself (and attached case) are really nice though. I should note that this isn't a 'mini Scrabble' game. It still functions just like normal sized Scrabble. Half of the board folds up so that the letters and holders cans be stored under the board. It's a tight fit, but they make it. Another thing I realy like about this travel edition is that when the board unfolds there isn't a 'gap' in the middle of the board like the older version had. I know it's a minor detail but it makes looking at the board easier when there's not a space there. When the whole things folds up it snaps shut into a durable plastic case. I imagine that it could take a lot of abuse and still remain intact. As for me, I'll probably keep it all in the cardboard box which is also durable.

Scrabble is Scrabble but I'm glad I have this version. It has the board I've been looking for but it's small enough that I can take it with me on a trip. I'm typically not a fan of travel editions but I like this. Just don't lose the small pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have the version pictured as a rep. image with the blue plastic case. It has a slight gap in the middle, but I like it very much. I like having the wooden pieces and many of the features you mentioned.

However, mine is missing an A and an E tile. They are the most plentiful so it doesn't affect things too much. However, if anyone else has an incomplete set and can send me an A and an E then please let me know, thanks.

Nice review though. I am reading the book Word Freaks right now, and it's making me anxious to play lots of scrabble. This is a great version and I will likely take it on my cruise in a couple of weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.