Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Ryan M
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which game is the best? My group is pretty light - favorite games include TTR, For Sale and Bohnanza.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haigh-Hutchinson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I love Gemblo and Ingenious, Blokus not as much.
I've found that Gemblo works extremely well with novice players, more so than Ingenious.
Gemblo works best for 3 or 6 players. 4 is good too, haven't tried the new 5-player rules as yet.
Ingenious works best with 3, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your group tends to be 5+ players, then you are pretty much limited to Gemblo as the others play 4 at most. The others are all excellent games and easily picked up by novice gamers from my experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not played gemblo or trigon,

Ingenious is new to me and going over very well, blokus is best at 4 only. but it is awsome and looks great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd don't like Blokus, Travel Blokus, Blokus Trigon nor Gemblo...but I like Gemblo better than any of the Blokus one's but not by much. Ingenious hands down for me I like the best and suprisingly that's the only one I own. I gave away my travel blokus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Gemblo -- Best one if you have 6 players. Still great at other levels

Blokus vs. Blokus Trigon -- I find Trigon more forgiving then Blokus, easier to block in regular blokus, and therefore a little more conflict. Trigon is more family friendly.

Ingenious -- If they like Blokus, then Ingenious might be a winner. It is a Knizia however, and some people who haven't been accustom to knizia, sometimes the scoring can be confusing to them. It's a great game, and plays well all the way down to solitaire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Order of preference:
Ingenious
Blokus
Trigon
Gemblo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both Ingenious (which I own) and Blokus, but if I were picking one, it'd be Ingenious. It's just a little bit richer in the kind of choices that have to be made. The scoring does take a few minutes to get used to, but new players seem to catch on a few plays (or at worst midgame the first game) into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you are only getting one...INGENIOUS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Matthews
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like both Blokus and Ingenious very much. I think Blokus is slightly more interesting, but it really wants four players, while Ingenious is very good for 2-4. I was somewhat disappointed in my one play of Gemblo.

You might also consider Rumis, which I think of as similar to these games. It is equally good, works with 2-4, and has wonderful pieces.

I am glad to own all 3 of these games, as they are all really fun, but also different enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it depends on how large your group normally is.

Blokus is good with 2 or 4 - Not good with 3

Blokus Trigon is best with 3 or 4 - two works but is confusing as both players play 2 clolors.

Ingenious is good from 1-4 players

I have not played Gemblo. I believe it works best with 3-6 players but not sure.

My preference on Blokus is Trigon, it is more forgiving & I feel more fun.

Ingenoius is a very good lite game too. and would be my first choice if I was going to pick just one off your list.

Best of luck
JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Gemblo yet. Other than that I had this same decision and I was lucky enough to have played all of them first.

MWChapel wrote:

Blokus vs. Blokus Trigon -- I find Trigon more forgiving then Blokus, easier to block in regular blokus, and therefore a little more conflict. Trigon is more family friendly.

While it is easier to block in regular Blokus, this is the reason I went for Trigon and the fact Trigon plays 2, 3 & 4 very well where as regular 2 & 4.

However there is just as much conflict in Trigon and it is absolutely necessary if you are going to win albeit sometimes your 'block' attempts get bypassed indeed making it a little more forgiving (keep in mind when we use the term 'conflict' here it is quite a friendly kind of conflict). The part that makes it interesting though is that blocking is harder and therefore more challenging making it more interesting for long term replay and more appealing to any gamer types IMHO. My first couple of plays of Trigon made me think the original was better until I figured out blocking is very possible just more elusive. Also, the optimal moves in the game are more subtle than in the original as there are more possibilites with the triangular pieces.

I am a big Knizia fan and Ingenious is another great game. 2,3,and 4 players all good. Scoring is not confusing at all and is a great part of the game forcing you to play a balanced game as he so often does.

I chose Trigon as I like some conflict in my games and this element is not present in Ingenious. I may still pick up Ingenious some day as they are very different so owning both is no problem.

All the games in question are perfect for beginner types so no worries there. Have fun with whatever you choose!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Wai-kit FUNG
Hong Kong
Mongkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all 4 games, as I particularly like abstract placement game.

_Gemblo_
Gemblo is a nice game. The only game among the candidates supports 6 players. The game core idea about spreading your pieces (with spacing) is unique here. It gives a balanced tensed competition between players. Beautiful jewel components. The only drawback is the more expensive price tag.

_Blokus_
Clever design. Simplest rule set among the 4 games. I can always teach it to non-gamers with 3 sentences in 30 seconds. Attractive and familar tile pieces. My visitors often shout "Oh, Tetris?" at the first glance, which already raises their interests towards the game. Easy rules but still offers subtly strategies, including various defensive and offensive plays. Players "feel" easier to "understand" what they are doing. Drawback is the only great with 4 players.

_Blokus Trigon_
Trigon is a smart rework from Blokus. It logically retains the same rule set as its mother version Blokus. Although they are virtually with the same level of rules, players find it less intuitive when playing Blokus Trigon than regular Blokus due the presense of Tetris-effect. Trigon is more forgiving to players's mistakenly moves, which is a pro and a con depending on your group. More family-friendly. Advanced rules is recommended for a relatively serious play, to fix the forgivingness. The rather inner starting positions (against corners in Blokus) give the game more tension, and make the start game more engaging and exciting. The greatest value of Trigon is that it truely support 2P, 3P, 4P very well, very engaging.

_Ingenious_
Ingenious looks alike to Gemblo and Blokus Trigon, but actually differ from the genre. You have access to all your pieces at each move in Gemblo, Blokus Trigon, Trigon. Ingenious implies a hand/rack of tiles available for your choice each turn instead. You need to play your tiles wisely to optimize your plan to score and to optimize your hand of tiles. Rather than getting rid of your own tiles, you make score each move and to win by having higher lowest color score (ie more balanced scores in all 6 color aspects). There is a clustering phenomenon, as it usually gives more scores. The twist in the game is to score what you need however. Knizia does a great job at making the game work very well with 2P, 3P, and 4P. Most replayable among the 4 games.

_Conclusion_
If I can choose two games, I would either get "Ingenious and Blokus Trigon" or "Ingenious Gemblo", depending your game group size and budget.
If I can choose only one, I would personlly select Ingenious, due to its high replay values, and deeper game play with wider strategy choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer blokus/trigon/gemblo to ingenious, because I feel there is less scope for deep analysis and look-ahead in ingenious, where the random tile draws fog up the analysis a bit. This may be a reason for you to choose ingenious, since you want a light game. On the other hand, in practice, most people play blokus/trigon/gemblo in a light way. Something about those games (I'm guessing the daunting heterogeneity of the pieces) discourages players from analyzing much in those games, even though the potential is there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. Very helpful. I think I'm going to go with Gemblo for now, and Ingenious next order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
geosphere wrote:
Order of preference:
Ingenious
Blokus
Trigon
Gemblo

Paul speaks the truth. He does prefer them in that order.

Me too.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious.

It is the best of the four and scales the best from one to four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
In order of preference:

Ingenious
Punching myself in the nuts
Blokus

RoFL!

Of all of these games, I picked up Gemblo, because it was the most flexible game my other gaming friends were the least likely to have. I haven't played it yet, but it's very nicely made, and looks quite fun.

I've played Blokus with four; it was entertaining.

If I want to play Ingenious, I'll pull out Tigris and Euphrates instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious.

Blokus only works well with 4, which is a big drawback. Also, it doesn't feel random enough. By that, I mean that after I lose, I don't feel like I need to pick up the pieces and try again to see if I can do better. It feels like I'd make the same decisions and end up in the same spots as last time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order of preference:

Two player Blokus (possibly my favourite game of all)
Four player Blokus
Gemblo
Blokus Trigon
(long gap)
Ingenious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
beri wrote:
Blokus only works well with 4, which is a big drawback.

Bahh. Two player blokus playing two colours is an utterly jaw droppingly brilliant game. Share brilliance on a stick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game along similar lines to Blokus that you may want to consider is "Rumis". It's a similar spatial-manipulation game, but it's in 3D rather than 2D. I love it. If you like Blokus and its kin, you'll probably like Rumis as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious.

I strongly prefer it myself and I think it's got the longest legs. Don't let anyone scare you off from the scoring, it's not complex at all: your last place color is your score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
Ingenious by a mile.

If you can count in straight lines and spot which color you have the least of, then you can score the game. Thoroughly decent with 2,3,or 4 players, but I prefer 2 or 4 over 3. The 4 player version has the added option of playing teams, which could be my favourite way to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tami Whitsett
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them all for various reasons, so it depends on what you're looking for.

However, you can try Blokus online at www.blokus.com and Ingenious on BSW. I'm not aware of any place to play Trigon or Gemblo. But, it gives you a chance to try the games for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.