United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
As a dad, I get to play a lot of Monopoly. My youngest son (age 11) has always loved it--and as a good dad I play it with him. In trying to figure out what he loves about it, I realized it was a) building a financial empire, b) sticking it to others, and c) getting fistfuls of cash. (And, as unlikely as it may seem, all the math involved in making all three work.)

I don't know why Power Grid didn't occur to me earlier.

We started by playing small Stage 1 games to 7 cities; he loves it so much it's as if he had a Monopoly mind-wipe and Big Energy put up 'Power Grid Loves You' billboards all over town. It's all he wants to play. His love for it is so infectious he's got the whole family involved--and now they're clamoring for the full game.

I am so damn happy.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great news! I wish I could convince my family to get involved in more games like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My partner buys me games and then gets the hell out of the way - getting her to play is like knitting fog!

I wonder how she'd feel if I bought her a mop or a dishwasher?

CHRIS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldenturkey wrote:
I wonder how she'd feel if I bought her a mop or a dishwasher?

if she's anything like my better half, out of the blue she'll love it; but wrapped up and under the Christmas tree and I'd suddenly become the fairy (ouch!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PG was a huge hit for my wife and 9 year old son. I think it's due to the table talk that it inspires.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.