Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gotw [+] [View All]
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Nothing lasts for ever, so it's time to present to you the new Geek of the Week :
Douglas Silfen (Duglis)

Doug has a very broad taste in gaming. He enjoys the so called Euro's, but also likes wargames and the typical American games. It is always a real pleasure to play games online with him.

His profile : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Duglis

And his own introduction :

Doug wrote:
The first game I picked up, other than a old traditional one, was MIDWAY by Avalon Hill in 1975. Next, a year later, it was Strat-o-matic Baseball. Those 2 games are still among my top 10 favorite games. Throughout the years, I've always played games. There is something so fascinating about what you can glean from people and the social satisfaction you get from such playing! The names and faces of my opponents have changed throughout the years, however. We used to play a game a day in college. That was a wonderful time. I sort of went into a boardgame lull in the 1990s except for playing Magic the Gathering. Finally I found the wonderful European games and have been enjoying them every since around 1998. Currently, I play with my wife and 2 different groups of friends. As you can probably see from my profile, I have a very very diverse taste in games.
Since becoming more active in the gaming world as of late, I've made some homemade cards that can be d/led at Days of Wonder for PIRATES COVE. I have come up with the idea of killing off one of the monks at the game start in MYSTERY OF THE ABBEY. Finally, I helped beta-test WAR OF THE RING and am happily credited with that in its rulebook. I also love fiddling and personalizing my boardgame copies by adding in names to nameless cards or an extra rule here or there to some of them.
I was a member of the boardgamegeek when it orginally was just a few months old. I'm so glad to see it flourishing so extraordinarily now. This place has been a boon for me as I often make many many trades with fellow members and I also have made new friends that way. I'm looking forward to the future of boardgames and I remain very optimistic about it.

He also provided his two truths and one lie :

Doug wrote:
1. I was friends with someone who went on to help create Magic the Gathering with Richard Garfield.
2. I experienced a rare moment of enlightenment while staring eyeball to eyeball at a Dolphin.
3. I played a game of Strat-o-Matic Baseball with a player who at the time, was a pro baseball player.

Already some questions to get you started Doug :

1. You sometimes acquire games for no other reason than trading them away again. Do you often have difficulties to get rid of those games ? Do you consider trading only as a means to acquire new games or is trading as such already a favourite pastime of yours ?

2. Having a broad taste for games, you also like wargames a lot. How hard is it for you to find gaming partners to play those ?

3. Adding names to cards or bits or even replace characters by more liked ones is something you do quite often. Can you tell us why that in some cases seems to be 'irresistable' to you ? How do your gaming partners react on these adaptations ?

4. Being one of the happy few to win a copy of the Battlelore game, can you describe to us what makes that game so interesting to you ?

I hope you will enjoy your week in the spotlights.

Have fun,

Gwen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ALL ANSWERS FOLLOWING AND THE THREAD ITSELF REFLECT GAMES AND IDEAS I HAD IN LATE 2006. THEY MAY HAVE CHANGED IN THE TIME SINCE. THIS IS A FROZEN MOMENT IN TIME. ENJOY... (written May 14,2013)

First, I'd like to say that I am HONORED to be selected as GOTW. Thank you, Gwen, and thanks to everyone here at the Boardgamegeek!

Quote:

1. You sometimes acquire games for no other reason than trading them away again. Do you often have difficulties to get rid of those games ? Do you consider trading only as a means to acquire new games or is trading as such already a favourite pastime of yours ?

Hi Gwen! To answer the second part first, I may indeed be addicted to trading for no other reason than to trade. I do not know why this may be. I'd probably have to go into some pyschotherapy to figure it out! I have at times gotten a game just as trade fodder. I will give you an example:
I went to a thrift store once and saw Scotland Yard. My first thought was "I wonder if anyone out there would like this nice game!" My next thought was "maybe I can get a nice game for it." I thus picked it up and offered it for trade on the Geek. Someone offered me Puerto Rico for it. Now I'm not a fan of that famous game (horrors!), but I thought, "surely many people want PR and I could get a good game for that." Therefore, I made that trade. Soon to my dismay, however, it seemed no one wanted to trade me anything for Puerto Rico! Oh no! But fear not, someone finally came through and traded me Amun-Re for PR. Thus, out of all this, I got the game Amun-Re from a thrift store purchase! Happy ending and fun along the way with a little touch of drama added! haha.
So yes, I do get games just to trade, though not often, and I have had trouble with trading them in the past, but it all turns out well in the end with some patience!

Quote:

2. Having a broad taste for games, you also like wargames a lot. How hard is it for you to find gaming partners to play those ?

It is quite a bit harder to find people willing to play a wargame with me nowadays and seem to only play them once every 4 months. I will play with a nearbye game store owner sometimes or once in a blue moon, my lovely wife, Lori, will play one with me. She's partial to wargames prior to the 19th century. I do get to play more than that, though, because wargames tend to lend themselves to solitaire play much much more than other gametypes. I enjoy recreating some historical battles alone and just watching how the game flows as compared to the way it did historically.

Quote:

3. Adding names to cards or bits or even replace characters by more liked ones is something you do quite often. Can you tell us why that in some cases seems to be 'irresistable' to you ? How do your gaming partners react on these adaptations ?

Haha! This is probably the reason you heard about me! I drive people crazy with this and you can often see a pained look on people's faces when they see some handwriting of mine with permanant pen on my gamebits.
I get mixed reactions. I do get many who say "what a neat idea!" and "that addition makes the game easier to follow." However, some people will indeed say "you have defaced your game" and "you can never sell or trade it now!"
I will do this for different reasons:

A. I will often write in errata on gamebits to avoid having some sheet that one constantly has to refer to, slowing down gameplay.

B. I will add names to some characters in games. For example, in In the Shadow of the Emperor, I have added an historical name in the top corner of each counter. Now when others play this me, they can say "Look! Otto I has been elected Holy Roman Emperor" or "poor Baron Wensaslaus has died of old age". It just adds a bit of fun to the game and allows some role playing. It also helps create unique gaming memories. Once I had a game called Olympia 2000 BC and many cards had character names on them, but about 60 % did not. I just took a pen an added a name to every other athlete for no other reason than for fun!

C. Long ago, on my Battle of the Bulge game, I wrote in national borders and nation names on the gameboard. The purpose of this was purely educational and for no other reason. I find that all these changes (and I do try to make them look very professional and aesthetically pleasing) will make gameplay more fun for myself or will enhance or streamline the gaming experience!

Quote:

Being one of the happy few to win a copy of the Battlelore game, can you describe to us what makes that game so interesting to you ?

Well, I entered that contest because a friend, Robert Wesley (Grognads), told me to do that. I wasn't going to. I usually never win things and don't bother to try. I really love Command and Colors- Ancients (in fact I just got the expansion 1 the other day) and Richard Borg's battle system. It makes for a very FUN wargame that non-wargamers like to play. I don't even know if I'd call it a wargame. Anyhow, I enjoy fantasy and science fiction and so I was interested in a fantasy game in the vein of C&C-Ancients!
Yes, this has been a strange week for me! I win a trivia contest, I spend one half a day in the hospital with a stomach virus (I'm all better now), celebrate Thanksgiving, and now I'm Geek-of-the-Week! Wow!

Quote:

I hope you will enjoy your week in the spotlights.

Have fun,

Gwen

Thank you very very much, Gwen. I hope to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats. Well deserved. I'll have more interesting things to ask in the future when I've had time to scrutinize your profile, but for now how about you tell us what theme you'd love to see FFG give the big-box treatment to.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
How about you tell us what theme you'd love to see FFG give the big-box treatment to.

Thanks Octavian! FFG has covered so many themes already! What's left?
Hmmmmmmm. How about a big box version of a wargame? Remake Avalon Hill's Midway with ships- destroyers, cruisers, and aircraft carriers!!
Also small little torpedo bombers, dive bombers and fighter planes as well!

whoohoo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedTorgerson wrote:
Without looking can you name three AAA base stealers from the 1980 season?

Haha! Ted! Probably not, but I'll guess. Ted is refering to individual stolen base ratings on baseball player cards for my favorite game, Strat-o-Matic Baseball. AAA is the best rating you can possibly be for that ability.

Rickey Henderson for sure.

Omar Moreno?

I can't think of anyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Garrett
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Purity of Essence.
mbmbmbmbmb
alright it's time to put this GOTW to work

congrats Doug! (and thanks for the copy of PR mentioned earlier in the thread, Amun-Re was also obtained in a trade so we both got copies that have been around the block)

i'll cut to the chase:

favorite Euro?

favorite wargame?

favorite classic?

favorite "Ameritrash" game?

favorite flavor of ice cream?

favorite book?

favorite movie?

--mike

have a good week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
Congrats Doug! Couldn't have chosen a better guy! I am a little miffed that you never mentioned Game Cove in your acceptance speech, though!

Pete, laugh ! Thanks very much!

People, Pete used to run a wonderful game store down in Carlsbad (north of San Diego, California) called GAME COVE. I think he was the most knowledgeable and fan friendly game store owner I ever came across in my life. Plus we traded games often and played strat-o-matic baseball against each other there! Alas, the store is no more! Also, I have since moved 100 miles to the north of that location.

Pete and I just completed a geektrade in fact. You should have your two games any day now Pete!

be well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sourwyrm wrote:

favorite Euro?

Hi Mike! Nice trading with you. My favorite Euro would be CITADELS or IN THE SHADOW OF THE EMPEROR at this time! Both are very interactive..each action or move someone takes heavily affects what you yourself are going to do next!

Quote:

favorite wargame?

The original MIDWAY game from Avalon Hill. Great suspense at first, like Battleship and then becomes a real classic battle.

Quote:

favorite classic?

I'd have to say RISK. Though I'm one of the few people who enjoy MONOPOLY once or twice a year as well.

Quote:

favorite "Ameritrash" game?

Hmmmm. How is this defined? General American game? I would say SLAPSHOT (POWERPLAY) then. Spoof of Ice Hockey, with fun trades, mini games, free agents and a complete playoffs in one gaming session. Watch out for those bruisers who send your players to the hospital! haha.

Quote:

favorite flavor of ice cream?

chocolate of course.

Quote:

favorite book?

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by JRR Tolkien of course, again. The Fellowship of the Ring being my favorite one book of those 3.

Quote:

favorite movie?

I hate answering this one, because most of my favorite films are action film or gritty violent movies. When I thus name my favorite movie, people go "awwwwwwwww". However I will say it,
THE WIZARD OF OZ 1939!!!!!!

Quote:

have a good week

you too, mike!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GRATZ! 4 thatz! N perhapz U forgatz I needz D statz 2 "Nappyz" 'fix'? You know of which '1' that I allude to right?
SOMEBODY SET US UP THE 'FIX'!
ALL YOUR BLASÉ R BELONG TO YOU!
TAKE OFF EVERY ZIG!
FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Doug!

It's great to see another week of GeekChatters being featured on GoTW. It's been great talking on the Geek with you even though I get in during those ungodly hours.

Here's my 2 cents:

1. Which places in the world would you like to visit if you have a chance, and why?

2. If you could save just one game from a fire, which would you choose?

Once again, congrats and enjoy the Battlelorin'!

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grognads!
I will scan that Napoleon Chart for you tomorrow! Thanks for the kind words!

Be well!

-Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright...you're in for it now, Duglis. Now we play:

YOU MUST CHOOSE!

#1:
Never play Strat-O-Matic Baseball, Slapshot, or Talisman ever again
-or-
Have to play Supremacy (without variants) once a week for the rest of your life

CHOOSE!

#2:
Have a fight to the death with Mike Tyson in his prime
-or-
Have a fight to the death with 20 clones of Weird Al

CHOOSE!

#3:
The most insidious question of all...
Boardgames, Pets, Music, Movies, TV, Books, Internet, Bacon

You may only have three! CHOOSE!

Thank you for playing, and congrats on being GotW.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wylsonated wrote:
Congrats Doug!

Thanks Wilson! Thanks very much!

Quote:

1. Which places in the world would you like to visit if you have a chance, and why?

I would like to go to Italy the most. I have never been there and would love to see the ruins of ancient Rome and Pompeii. Then there's all the medieval and reformation art and architecture in Florence and Venice and Milan!
Next, I would love to visit Egypt and go inside the ancient pyramids. What a wonder of man to be still standing 5,000 years after it was constructed. I would be in awe to stand inside one of them.

Quote:

2. If you could save just one game from a fire, which would you choose?

Well I would normally say strat-o-matic baseball, but i can easily get a replacement of the game itself. My cards for that game, accumulated over the years, would be another matter. However, for game itself, I would have to say Talisman, since that would be so hard to reobtain and I have customized my version of that so much with certain expansions and cards, that it would be a tragedy to lose that game(box)!

Quote:

Once again, congrats and enjoy the Battlelorin'!
laugh

No problem, my friend, I will. Thanks again!

-Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Alright...you're in for it now, Duglis. Now we play:

YOU MUST CHOOSE!

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

#1:
Never play Strat-O-Matic Baseball, Slapshot, or Talisman ever again
-or-
Have to play Supremacy (without variants) once a week for the rest of your life
CHOOSE!

Hah! You have researched me well to know about my utter disdain for Supremecy. I don't think I've even told anyone about that in recent years. My only record of that is in my ratings .
Ugh, what a hard question!
I guess I would have to no longer play SOM Baseball, Slapshot and Talisman and just have fond memories of them. I couldn't play that other game for the rest of my life! That would be pure torture!! I would always have the memories of those other 3 great games.

Quote:

#2:
Have a fight to the death with Mike Tyson in his prime
-or-
Have a fight to the death with 20 clones of Weird Al

CHOOSE!

Good lord! How do you think of these questions. I probably would fight Tyson and try to bite his ears off and then get to his jugular.
ick!

Quote:

#3:
The most insidious question of all...
Boardgames, Pets, Music, Movies, TV, Books, Internet, Bacon

You may only have three! CHOOSE!

Pets for sure. That one is easy.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Probably Movies and Books for the other 2.

Am I going to be fired as GOTW because I didn't pick Boardgames? hehe

Quote:

Thank you for playing, and congrats on being GotW.
-MMM

What a tough set of questions! You're welcome, Matthew! I was honored to answer those questions!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Douglas! Congratulations on being selected as Geek of the Week! Hope you have a lot of fun with this.

It's nice to see a fellow baseball fan in the spotlight.
A few questions for you:
1) Do you think A-Rod should stay in New York or leave? Do you think he will stay?
2) I hear that you like some wargames. I just ordered Hammer of the Scots based on some recommendations here, but what do you think of this game?
3) What is the significance of your avatar? (Asking this may put my naivete on display, but oh well)
4) Do you go to any game conventions?
5) What will your next microbadge purchase be?

Thanks Douglas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Doug!

Having looked through your top 10, there are a lot of games in there with a strong theme. So my question - how impotant is theme to you in a game, would you buy something just for the theme and woudl you not buy something because of the theme?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehibbert wrote:

Having looked through your top 10, there are a lot of games in there with a strong theme. So my question - how impotant is theme to you in a game, would you buy something just for the theme and would you not buy something because of the theme?

Excellent question, Mike. Theme is very important to me. I was just talking about this with my wife. Let us take Wallenstein and Shogun for example. 2 games, nearly identical, same author. I never wanted to play Wallenstein, even though I heard it was good simply because I'm not interested in the 30 years war in the least. Once I heard that this acclaimed game system was being rethemed into Feudal Japan (a favorite period of mine), I was very excited. In fact, I just got the game today from Germany and I'm very psyched about it! Same game- 30 years war= no
Same game- Feudal Japan= yes.
NO
YES

(Another example- Show Manager=No (theme), Atlantic Star=Yes (theme))
NO
YES

I do not play Puerto Rico because of the theme. I find the idea of plantations, farming, and trading goods very bland and boring. Retheme it to outer space with aliens and wham, I'll buy it because I like that theme!

So if the underlying game is good, theme will determine whether or not I will get the game at all.
Now, would I get a game just for the theme? That would happen very rarely. I recently did this when a favorite show of mine, LOST, was made into a boardgame. However, I will usually not get a game with a theme I like if the underlying game is not good.

Thus-

Underlying game= Good || Theme= Ok to Great = I'll get it
Underlying game= Bad || Theme= Ok to Great = I'll get this once in a blue ............................................moon. Almost never.
Underlying game= Good || Theme= No good= I won't get it.
Underlying game= Bad || Theme= bad= I won't get it.

and I do not play Horror games mostly, because I don't like themes about body parts and blood. I do like Gothic horror like Dracula, hence I have FURY OF DRACULA.

That's my rambling answer to you!

be well!
Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duglis wrote:
That would happen very rarely. I recently did this when a favorite show of mine, LOST, was made into a boardgame.
Doug

Thanks Doug, leads nicely onto another question then - what do you think the answer to "Lost " is then - what the heck is going on!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fehrmeister wrote:
Hi Douglas! Congratulations on being selected as Geek of the Week! Hope you have a lot of fun with this.

Thanks, James. Nice to hear from someone from our great northern neighbour!

Quote:

It's nice to see a fellow baseball fan in the spotlight.
A few questions for you:
1) Do you think A-Rod should stay in New York or leave? Do you think he will stay?

You are right. There haven't been many Baseball fans for GOTWs I've noticed. I'm a huge fan of the sport. I don't really like to watch any other sport except the Olympics and the World Cup.
I think A-Rod should leave if the trade is worth it. A 3rd baseman and a great starter or 2. However. I don't think that will happen and I think he will stay. I don't dislike him, but I am disappointed by his failure in clutch plate appearances. I'd rather have Brosius.

Quote:

2) I hear that you like some wargames. I just ordered Hammer of the Scots based on some recommendations here, but what do you think of this game?

This relates to my last post. I have not obtained that game as I am not interested in that aspect of Scotish/English history. I know it is supposed to be very good to excellent, but the theme does not interest me. I'm sure you will love it, if you don't mind the setting. I CAN tell you that I beta tested a bit of CRUSADER REX by the same game designer as HOTS and I do love THAT game. Thus, I'm sure you'll have a good time with HOTS!

Quote:

3) What is the significance of your avatar? (Asking this may put my naivete on display, but oh well)

My avatar is a 3Dish picture of the dog, Muttley. Muttley was a creation of Hanna-Barbera for the cartoon series, Wacky Races in the very late 1960s. He was the sidekick of evil Racer Dick Dastardly and was famous for his snickering laugh. Each week a motley group of cartoon racers would get together to try to win a new car race. DD and Muttley would always try to cheat their way to victory, and of course, never succeeded. However, Muttley used to curse under his breath at his oppresive master and was just an hysterical character. He and DD were so popular, in fact, that they were given their own spinoff cartoon a year later, Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines. So that's that! By the way, You can get every Wacky Races episode and every Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines on DVD! They've been out for a year or two! I highly recommend it!

Quote:

4) Do you go to any game conventions?

I've been to just a few in Southern California. I've played a game or two and bought a few games. I usually wind up going to comic or science fiction conventions that ALSO have gaming on the side, rather than strictly gaming conventions. I'd love to go to Essen, or the next Bgg.con if I have the chance, however! We shall see!!!

Quote:

5) What will your next microbadge purchase be?

Something about Ancient Wargaming probably or a specific FAN OF GAME X microbadge. I haven't gotten one of those yet!

Quote:

Thanks Douglas.

You're welcome!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehibbert wrote:
Duglis wrote:
That would happen very rarely. I recently did this when a favorite show of mine, LOST, was made into a boardgame.
Doug

Thanks Doug, leads nicely onto another question then - what do you think the answer to "Lost " is then - what the heck is going on!?

Hah. I think there are group of scientists experimenting with time travel and esper abilities on the island which has metaphysical powers. I think they are decendents of the original hippies who came there to make it a nirvana/research station. I also think there is some sort of group of people/beings that succeeded in this very experiment in the far future of the island and are visting the current island by going back in time. I think the monster is one of these beings. They may be shape shifters as well.

there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Douglas! Nice to see a Geek Buddy on the soapbox.

I think you're a pretty cool guy and you were one of the first folks I had any contact with here!

Good luck and I'll stick my usual questions in later.

For now, what are you having fun with outside of gaming at the moment?

Which old OOP games and brand new ones are you currently enjoying most?

Just how much do you like the Wacky Races and Mutley? My boys love it and their grandad (my Dad) has just bought them a DVD! Right now, they watch it a fair bit, and I guess I could do the whole intro off by heart now!

How trendy do you like to be with clothes, hairstyles and music?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Here's a "query" for you to 'ponder' upon: You've been eagerly anticipating obtaining that Shogun "game", and well ahead of the other 'slackers' also wanting 'this', so does that HAVE a "Dice Pagoda" for the SO "unrealistic" 'Battle' system of it all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
Here's a "query" for you to 'ponder' upon: You've been eagerly anticipating obtaining that Shogun "game", and well ahead of the other 'slackers' also wanting 'this', so does that HAVE a "Dice Pagoda" for the SO "unrealistic" 'Battle' system of it all?

It's got that great cube pagoda, indeed. Works just fine. It's super realistic, Robert!!! C'mon! one side has weapons and marches on the field against the other side...then an alien box comes into the middle of the field and the soldiers from each side march into it. 70 % of one army comes out and only 30 % of the other army. The smaller army surrenders. Battle over!

You don't remember this battle? It happened in 1524 near Edo!

No? Hmmm?

I'm just happy I got the game today. Going to read the rules tomorrow or Monday!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Admiral Fisher wrote:
Hey Douglas! Nice to see a Geek Buddy on the soapbox.

I think you're a pretty cool guy and you were one of the first folks I had any contact with here!

Good luck and I'll stick my usual questions in later.

Thanks, Fisher!!! You and I have very similar tastes in games and I know we are both big fans of the AH MIDWAY game!!

Quote:

For now, what are you having fun with outside of gaming at the moment?

Well, I just got over some bad Stomach flu, so I am having fun with just being able to eat again!! I'm having fun with my wife at home and am enjoying some colorized old movies by a new colorization company that did a super job. Watched the March of the Wooden Soldiers new DVD -colorized- great Laurel and Hardy fantasy flick! and also the Mark of Zorro with Tyrone Power and Basil Rathbone-colorized. Both of these movies were going to be filmed in color, but budget cuts stopped it at the very last moment. Thus the actors and sets were all in vibrant color and survived in stills, but the movie camera was a b/w camera only!
Anyway, these two dvds are excellent!

Quote:

Which old OOP games and brand new ones are you currently enjoying most?

old OOP game...I recently played Talisman again for the first time in almost a year. Horrors! We had a great time and I really enjoyed it! In the Shadow of the Emperor is the newest game I am enjoying thoroughly. It's a superb superb game. I'm also playing it online at www.mabiweb.com. I just got Command and Colors -Ancients Expansion 1 and Shogun (the wallensteiny one) from Queen games over the last 2 days. I'm reading rules and should be playing those two within the week! I'll let you know how they are. I'm very excited!

Quote:

Just how much do you like the Wacky Races and Mutley? My boys love it and their grandad (my Dad) has just bought them a DVD! Right now, they watch it a fair bit, and I guess I could do the whole intro off by heart now!

Haha. Yeah. They have the same narration at the start of every single cartoon of theirs. I like it very much. I mean I don't watch more than one cartoon a week of it, as there is a very limited number of them. The last video console game I owned was a Dreamcast and I used to enjoy playing their Wacky Races game very very much. Maybe I'll pull my old DC out again and try that again But yes, I really like it, but I do take some weeks off from that show. lol.

Quote:

How trendy do you like to be with clothes, hairstyles and music?

ZERO. Total ZERO Meter on that. Clothes have been t-shirts and jeans since the 1980s. Hairstyle comforms a bit, but not that much. Music i kept up with from my youth until around 1989 or so. Since then, music has fallen way down in my opinion. I would say I am a big fan of Rock/Pop from 1960ish to 1989.

Thanks for the questions, Admiral!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DOUG! Congrats on being chosen for Geek of the Week! I'm sorry to hear about the stomach flu, but glad you are feeling well!

Here are some questions:

1. What was the last book you read?
2. What did you enjoy most about getting your Masters in History?
3. Do you enjoy any party games?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.