Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
He's probably interested in promoting his own site rather than BGG
He's probably not motivated by GG, given his profile
With the formatting and pictures, it would significant effort (and time) on his part to upload that detailed article on BGG
Interested people can comment on it here; nothing is stopping them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done!

I think the guide to the midgame should really emphasize the importance of openness/closedness of each color on the board.

A color is "open" when it has scoring opportunities which are many and/or large; "closed" if its scoring opportunities are few and/or small. It's really important to play so as to keep colors you're behind in open, and colors you're ahead in closed. Secondarily, you want colors you have many of in your rack to be open, and those you have few of to be closed.

I made up these terms but I think they have pretty clear meaning.

Going into the end game, if you can pounce on a color that your opponent is very weak in and close it up completely, but your opponent can't do that to you, you'll win.

Another mistake I see is players focusing too much on improving whatever happens to be their lowest-scoring color at all times, and thus missing the best opportunities to (a) score points and (b) open up or close down a color. If you can get seven green points from one tile, it's not always a bad thing just because you happen to be already a little ahead in green. It means you can safely focus on closing down down green as much as possible after that point, and those "Mensas"/"Genials"/"Ingeniouses" will come in handy later.

Another point in the end game is that when you're winning you should play tiles to leave orphan spaces, to accelerate the end and your moment of glory.

again, very nicely done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, thanks for your comments.

Ryan: I was just playing about with the (very limited, as I've now discovered) free web page design opportunities provided by my ISP, and since I'd done the work thought it would be nice to share with you all - I'm just happy for people to read it.

Kevin: great comments, we seem to be making the same points but just using our own terminology. Your distinction between "open" and "closed" colours translates directly to my comments on "blocking", and your "orphan spaces" to my "gaps".

I've had draft pdfs back from the mag editor, and it's going to be published in the January edition of the British Mensa magazine. I really love this game and like to promote it as much as possible - if I can help people to play well, then so much the better. I've just recruited a few new players over the last two days at a party weekend!

Anyone seen the comments at http://www.convivium.org.uk/kghome.htm?

Quote:
Einfach Genial - or Ingenious - goes from strength to strength. Newly released is a two-player travel edition. But watch out for further exciting developments soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm late to this thread, but thanks for the article. I put it to immediate application. I've been having my head handed to me in this game on BSW and from the wife. The midgame seems to be where I lose it, although I can see that I was play suboptimally at the start too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gisli Sigtryggsson
Canada
Amherst
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for an excellent article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fitzyfitz wrote:
Here are some hints and tips that I've put together on how to play well:

http://mensaconnections.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Very good. Some comments:
Opening (1) wrote:
The choice of placing the tile next to the green symbol and not the yellow is deliberate. With fewer greens in the rack it is better to score the extra point here while it is available;

I hate to start out negative, but here I disagree. In the opening it's all about numbers. In the midgame you start worrying about your weaker colors.
Midgame (1) wrote:
The aims of the midgame are to capitalise on the highest scoring opportunities available, and to block your opponent.

Block that color! My friend very quickly learned to beat me at two player games by the simple mechanic of always closing off a color where he had the lead. He did this without regard for what colors he had in his hand. Once I learned that was his strategy, I started beating him with my better color management.
Midgame (1) wrote:
Player 2 has already scored eleven reds, which should be enough for the whole game. Player 1 has only scored three, which is very unlikely to be sufficient. Their strategy is now compromised, as they must spend a number of turns re-opening red and developing it to score more points.

Excellent point. While he gets low scores in red trying to reopen it, you can get big scores in other colors.
Midgame (2) wrote:
Doubles can be slightly more confusing for some. Count how many points can be scored on each single space next to the block of your chosen colour, and then select the two adjacent ones that combine to give the best score. It may sound obvious, but not everybody does it!

It's obvious to you and me, but it is so hard to teach to people. When playing a double next to a big glump, I've seen people take three or four minutes counting options. I explain, "Count each space individually. See this is 2, this is 4, this is 3, this is 4, this is 4 this is 3, this is 5, this is 2. You can play a 4+4 or a 5+3 for eight. The others are 7s." Of course there may be tactical reasons to score the seven, but with doubles that usually isn't the case.
Endgame wrote:
During the endgame you must focus on developing your weaker colours, often sacrificing higher-scoring combinations elsewhere.

This can start in the midgame. Also, it's not so much which color are you low but which color are behind your opponent. If I have 1 orang and my opponent has 2 orange, while I have 8 red and my opponent has 12 red, red is the more important color. I know he will play orange, but he may not play red.
Endgame wrote:
Laying down two or three tiles in a row can use up much of the remaining space and also block off colours your opponent vitally needs.

The way I get snookered is as follows: I see there are two places for me to play my green, so I know he can't block me in one turn. Then he plays in one of those spaces, also scoring a purple for Ingenious. He plays the other side of the green, and I am now shut out of green.
Conclusion wrote:
I am often accused of having ‘lucky’ tiles…what my opponents fail to realise is that they are witnessing the results of good tile management and forward planning!

I'm a very lucky player too. My opponent plays a double blue for 5, I respond with a double blue for 7. It looks like I am lucky, but I have been saving that tile for a while, waiting for him to play blue first.

Very good summary of how to play Ingenious/Mensa Connections/Genial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff.

Our favorite way of playing is 4 player partners. This intensifies the need to manage your colors and deny the weak colors to your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cee Dub
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
The link appears to be broken. Is there another way that I can read the article on strategy?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaaarh, sorry about that - the site isn't there any more.

As soon as I can work out how to include the necessary images I'll post the whole thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now reposted here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/372701
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.