Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just purchased Maharaja, and will be playing it 2 players often.
I intend to go right to the advanced rules, and in 2 player games I plan on using the rule about the players having multiple character. I have seen it mentioned on here that that means you can have 2 charachters each, then corrected and said that a player may have as many as 4 characters, but the way I read it seems a little different. It seems to me that if each player were to start with one charachter, and one player kept slecting the action to take charachters, and the other player did not, couldn't one player hypothetically end up with 7 of the cards and the other polayer with just one?

I know that it would not be wise for the other player to allow this to happen, and that they could entice characters away, but it would seem to me that if they chose not to do this that the other player could have as many as 7 characters, is this correct?

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is nothing that prevents one person from getting 6 characters.

My preference is to play with two of the optional rules: I like the rule where you get one point toward area control if you have the character that corresponds to that area. I like the color that gives to the various cities so they don't all feel the same.

I also like auctioning off the starting characters, at least among experienced players. The various characters are not equally useful and getting the right to choose #1 at no cost is a pretty real advantage. I do not do this with inexperienced players because they have no idea how to value them and in this case, usually I just shuffle up and deal.

As far as the other two optional rules, I just don't know. Having multiple characters is a good idea. Does add more flavor and options to the game. But I don't like the mechanic Kramer and Kiesling gave for managing this so just don't use it.

And the #7 character, the one that gives an extra action. Natural idea for a character and for the most powerful one too. But in practice, all that means is that everyone nearly always chooses "switch character" as one of their actions to get the #7 character and thus the extra action to replace the one they used to nab this character. This means that they are really only pre-programming one action and choosing one when it's their turn to use up their action chip and it alters the fundamental nature of the game and in a negative way too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.