brentoon stalewart
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am a constant paticipant of GeekQuestions. It doesn't seem like it gets enough attention from the administration, though. What are some suggestions you think would help it out? If you don't normally go to GeekQuestions is the thing stopping you something that can be changed? If you do go to GeekQuestions, what's something that is about to make you leave, if you are in fact about to leave? And finally: Should I have just asked these questions on GeekQuestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Never answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
People wander in, they wander out. There is no particular aspect of GeekQuestions that is in great harmony with this site. For example, somebody who plays almost no boardgames may find a link to GeekQuestions off an external search engine, and decide that it is their mandate to ask more questions than anybody else. People will either ignore it, or decide that it is their mandate to keep this hypothetical person hopping. In this fashion GeekQuestions will proceed along as it always has: A nearly useless novelty item that satisfies the urges of a select few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
well, where's the "Geek Conundrums"? or even some "Geekified Hum-Drum-Doms"? and what about "Greco-Roman Ramblings"? anybody?
"Buellar?...Buellar?..."
ooo! ooo!"Mr.Kot-tah" here's a great "question"!
WHY don't 'rocks' "float"?
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brentoon stalewart
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
that last reply had more colors and hoo-has than an Eltron John costume. Let's keep this at a 1-2 color minimum if we can, unless of course you'd rather treat this forum as a pallette for rainbowatic colors

and as far as Cranky goes, I just want to thank you for keeping me hopping . Is this where you started thinking I was doubting the Q's efficacy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Please rephrase that in the form of a statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I wish we could delete some as well, altho I've only asked two!

Aldie specifically said no to that suggestion. His reason was something about what to do with the other geeks' answers.

Why we keep Geekquestions and got rid of "Why did the Geek...?" I'll never know.

Oh, and Brentoon, that's our beloved Grognads, his posts are always colorful (figuratively and literally). We wouldn't have his posts any other way. ----(okay, well, some would, but I wouldn't)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are three types of GQ users: fanatics, players, and dabblers. The fanatics ask a zillion questions, answer a zillion questions and play a game-within-a-game with each other.

Players hit the GQ off and on. They're involved enough to know the in-jokes of the fanatics but aren't involved enough to challenge anyone for alpha status.

Dabblers are newbies who are just checking things out. They are the most likely to quit. They might quit answering questions due to feeling buried by the sheer number of questions there are. They might stop asking questions due to fanatics cutting them down to size. Some fanatics are incredibly nice and helpful, others, however, will not hesitate to tell you that you're annoying or that your question was already asked six months ago you idiot ... WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN JACK? (All in good humor of course. Har, har.)

Short term fix: Recommend getting rid of the stat page. This would (hopefully) curtail all the pointless questions and answers given merely to keep up with the Joneses on the top 10 lists.

Mid term fix: Recommend that questions be deleted after a set period of time (1-3 months). This would create a fresh atmosphere and encourage users to participate more. [And see below]

Long term fix: Recommend opening the GQ page only once or twice a year (for 1 month at a time). GeekQuestions are like an OK game that sits on your shelf but you never take it down. If, however, you went to your game group and someone was setting it up, you'd gladly join in.

Alternative: Another idea would be to have 3-5 questions that you answered appear at the bottom of your profile page - a little added insight. These would be randomly selected (every refresh) from your own answer pool. If you combined this with the idea of deleting old questions, it would encourage people to hit the GQ every so often to refresh their pool (and yes, keep up with the Joneses).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup Ding, Ding!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brentoon stalewart
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, I don't quite think deleting the stats page would do much. Especially since it's already been up there for so long. Im definitly a fantatic when it comes to GeekQuestions, and if there were the deletion of the stats page I'd probably ask more questions than ever just so I'd know in my heart I was ahead.

And I doubt a lot of the answerers would apreciate that

And as far as deleting old questions go, that's certainly a unique idea and I'm not sure if I like it or not. It would keep things fresher around there, but so many of the gems of great GeekQuestions would be lost.

I think that if a person was forced to answer as much as many questions as they asked then perhaps there would at least be more answers to GeekQuestions. That's one of the biggest problems is only getting a couple answers to each question for quite some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Then perhaps they ought to bring "in" the "Farting PIG"!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdvK1Z95efI

watch AND learn!
robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brentoon wrote:
Well, I don't quite think deleting the stats page would do much. Especially since it's already been up there for so long. Im definitly a fantatic when it comes to GeekQuestions, and if there were the deletion of the stats page I'd probably ask more questions than ever just so I'd know in my heart I was ahead.

And I doubt a lot of the answerers would apreciate that

And as far as deleting old questions go, that's certainly a unique idea and I'm not sure if I like it or not. It would keep things fresher around there, but so many of the gems of great GeekQuestions would be lost.

I think that if a person was forced to answer as much as many questions as they asked then perhaps there would at least be more answers to GeekQuestions. That's one of the biggest problems is only getting a couple answers to each question for quite some time.

I think that if a person were forced to play boardgames or forced to make some effort to learn how to both type and spell then there would be zero need for GeekQuestions. Oh wait, there already is zero need for GeekQuestions....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brentoon stalewart
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hm, you know, Cranky, there was a man once who had an idealistic manner of thinking. Wanted to farm out the things he viewed as "bad". I'm sure you would have gotten along with the guy just great. You might have heard of him.

He went by "Hitler".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
oh, I don't KNOW, but "MisterCranky" brings to MY 'mind' more of being a "Generalissimo Francisco Franco" sort, who managed to outwit, outplay, & outlast his 'contemporaries', wouldn't YOU 'think'? or perhaps NOT!
"Godwin 4 tha WIN!"
"Godwinpwnd"
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brentoon wrote:
Hm, you know, Cranky, there was a man once who had an idealistic manner of thinking. Wanted to farm out the things he viewed as "bad". I'm sure you would have gotten along with the guy just great. You might have heard of him.

He went by "Hitler".

So you're saying that Hitler found GeekQuestions at Boardgamegeek from a non-boardgame player pointless, so I'd like him? Or are you saying that like Hitler, you sought to conquer as much as you could and, dissatisfied with what you'd achieved you clamored for more, so I'd get along well with you? Your point is weak, and ill-conceived, much like so many of your GeekQuestions. And that is what could be done to improve GeekQuestions--you could ask better questions. Or you could just suffer the slings and arrows of not being able to be all things to all people, and, when it comes to Hitler, shut the fuck up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brentoon stalewart
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, harsh words from Cranky. I wonder if I pushed a button. I find it hard to hear the advice to ask better questions from a guy who's traveled into the triple digits on his number of questions involving Wil Wheaton, not to mention all the Broderick Crawford ones. Last time I checked, too, trying to be all things to all people probably didn't include comparing someone to Hitler. Yes, that's right, Brentoon bites back.

And Nads, I have to say that I'm starting to like the color

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hor
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Wow, this is the first time I've seen a post by Brentoon outside of GeekQuestions! Will wonders never cease?
(MisterCranky's recent GeekQuestion alerted me to this)

Anyway, there are definitely many things that can be done for GeekQuestions. I'm not exactly sure why it's put on the backburner (though I do have some ideas why it is so).

However, to be quite honest, I don't think suggestions will make any difference for GeekQuestions. It just seems like the feature is destined to be last on the "to do" list.
There have been previous threads and posts in the past, some with good ideas, but I wonder if any have been implemented.

Even a recent suggestion (sort of) of mine to fix what I'd call a bug (though Tim Synge would seem to disagree; see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1188228 ), was left aside, even though I offered quite descriptive information on how it might be possible to fix it.

Anyway, back to your question about suggestions, I think what GeekQuestions sorely needs is at least a better posting / message system. It doesn't need to be built from scratch - I think using the same system as used for the forums would solve a lot of problems.

Okay fine if self-deletion of questions is out (though I think it should be allowed), then at least let askers edit their questions! If answerers can, and if forum posters can, why can't askers? I don't really get it.

More stuff that can be added would be:
- Recommendation system for good questions (like the thumbs-up system used everywhere else on the site). Maybe even thumbs-down to push bad questions down.
- Categorization. There are just too many questions now just lumped into one single section. We can always integrate GeekQuestions into the GeekMod feature to get users to help in categorizing them, if admins don't wanna do it (which, with almost 20000 questions is quite a big job).
- "See all delisted questions" button. Maybe new askers can get an idea of what kind of questions are disliked.

Etc, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think DHEK hit the nail on the head--GeekQuestions is Aldie's redheaded stepchild and he put it out there for us to play with, much as God created Walnuts. Once God was done with Walnuts, he didn't keep tweaking them and futzing around, he just let them get chopped up and put into ice cream and all that crap. The uses that humanity (and the rest of the Animal Kingdom) find for walnuts are then up to them. Rhinoceri spitting walnuts with tremendous force at each other in the dreaded Serengeti Wars was probably never the intent, but you don't see God making any real effort to go promote peace amongst the rhinos. It's tragic, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brentoon stalewart
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I actually think DHEK made had some great thoughts, too. I'm also wondering what harm could be caused with the seeds of strawberrys. They've always looked sinister to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
well, where's the "Geek Conundrums"? or even some "Geekified Hum-Drum-Doms"? and what about "Greco-Roman Ramblings"? anybody?
"Buellar?...Buellar?..."
ooo! ooo!"Mr.Kot-tah" here's a great "question"!
WHY don't 'rocks' "float"?
surprise

My number one suggestion to improve GeekQuestions is for Grognads to start answering some questions. It's guaranteed to add some color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.