Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Serrette
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I realized that I spend more time on the Geek than I do actually gaming. Almost a quarter of my games sit on the shelf unplayed.

I keep buyign new games without playing through the ones I already have. Today, for example, I was out with my sister and we stopped in at Toys R Us, just to see. And what do I see on the shelf? Betrayal at House on the Hill and Monsters Menace America. Now, I never even really considered buying these games, but I was just so elated that they were on the shelves, I had to buy a copy of each. So now, I've got two more games to play, and the 13 I just ordered from Fantasy Flight.

So how do I rectify this? Do I go on a solo gaming binge? Months will go by and no one will find me until my neighbors hear odd noises late at night. They will find me arguing with the other three imaginary gamers. Then they throw me in the looney bin and I don't get to play anything but poker while one of the crazies eats the cards.

That simply will not work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
You just realized this? I realized this within a month of when I first found BGG. :O

It doesn't bother me much. When I have a hobby, I always get a huge appetite for reading about it. So far I've been here at BGG for about 1+1/2 years, and I'm still enjoying the reviews of the latest games, comments on games that I know, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat, Dave. Natural consequence of having a really wonderful website like this combined with not NEARLY enough real-life opportunities to game. Most of my gaming is with my 6 YO daughter, and while she's always up for a game of Blue Moon or Memoir '44, she's not exactly the most strategic player just yet So I fill my cup my heavier gaming goodness with a couple game nights a month and coming here for a daily refill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandpaDave wrote:
Today, for example, I was out with my sister and we stopped in at Toys R Us, just to see. And what do I see on the shelf? Betrayal at House on the Hill and Monsters Menace America.

I find it laughably sad that my local TRU has these as well, as it appears that they're finally making it onto the shelves because Hasbro is killing them off. Irony?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Avalon Hill games in Toys 'R Us: I laughed, I cried, I marched two copies of Vegas Showdown and two copies of Nexus Ops up to the cash register. Might as well have a wake instead of a funeral, right?

GrandpaDave, I'm in a similar situation, and my attitude is that as long as I have enough money to cover all the other expenses in my life, I'm not going to worry too much about my game purchases. My goal is to try to play at least one unplayed game each game day, but if it doesn't happen it's not the end of the world. In any case, I'm not going to put a general ban on new games until I've reached some pre-determined ratio of unplayed games.

That said, though, you might want to look at your unplayed games and see if there's any common theme. If you're piling up one type of game, you should ask yourself why it's not getting played. About a quarter of my unplayed games are wargames, which take longer to learn and longer to play and are therefore much harder to get to the table, so I am resisting new wargame acquisitions until I can play new wargames more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thosw wrote:
GrandpaDave wrote:
Today, for example, I was out with my sister and we stopped in at Toys R Us, just to see. And what do I see on the shelf? Betrayal at House on the Hill and Monsters Menace America.

I find it laughably sad that my local TRU has these as well, as it appears that they're finally making it onto the shelves because Hasbro is killing them off. Irony?

I saw both of these titles at my TRU and I was sorely tempted to buy Betrayal (I once owned Monsters via trade and promptly traded it for Puerto Rico). Over a month ago I scored my copy of Nexus Ops there, but I didn't see any more copies of that game which is arguably the best of that generation of AH games. At twenty bucks a copy the urge to snap up a Betrayal was overwhelming...

But I stayed my hand (the one that takes the credit card out of my wallet.)

With about 30 games that a new game like Betrayal would necessarily compete with for table time in my collection, and the realization that I'll do well to play a 2-4 player game (or 3-5, or 3-4, or 2-6, or whatever) about once a week on average. Acquire, a game I like a lot, gets played maybe twice a year?

cry

I fear that another game will mean one less session of El Grande, Tikal or Nexus Ops.

We're a small clan, we unplugged gamers, and it is ever so true that there are so many games and so little time. It is a bittersweet cup from which we drink, this hobby, this passion.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandpaDave wrote:
So how do I rectify this? Do I go on a solo gaming binge? Months will go by and no one will find me until my neighbors hear odd noises late at night. They will find me arguing with the other three imaginary gamers. Then they throw me in the looney bin and I don't get to play anything but poker while one of the crazies eats the cards.

That simply will not work...

I did a search on the BGG User finder and found 6 gamers including yourself in Lafayette, LA, with a couple of more within 10 or 25 miles. My suggestion is to send them some Geek mail and see if they want to get together a couple of times a month.

We have a couple of once/month big game groups in the SF Bay area, but we've recently formed a smaller 4-6 person group which meets weekly. It'll really help with your game collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not unique to board-gaming.

I am into movies and spend a lot more time reading about movies than I do watching them.

I have a couple subscriptions to cooking magazines and spend more time reading new recipes than I do cooking.

I think can be true about a wide range of hobbies: poker, cars, sports, stamp collecting, etc. The list goes on and on.

Being into a hobby many times doesn't *just* mean actually doing it but also spending as much if not more time reading/learning and talking/writing about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Serrette
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
I did a search on the BGG User finder and found 6 gamers including yourself in Lafayette, LA, with a couple of more within 10 or 25 miles. My suggestion is to send them some Geek mail and see if they want to get together a couple of times a month.

It's not a matter of finding people to game. There's a local store, and there's always something going there. Nice bunch of guys really, I need to get out there more.

No, it's a matter of time these days. Just not enough hours in the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandpaDave wrote:
Just not enough hours in the day.

The 1st expansion will come out soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GrandpaDave wrote:

No, it's a matter of time these days. Just not enough hours in the day.

I thought you were a Grandpa ??? Don't Gramdpa's have nothing *but* time?

laugh

I *do* spend more time gaming then on the Geek. Which isn't to say it's much time I have a baby girl that just turned 1 and I run a consulting business. I like to remember what my father (an immigrant who worked his way through a PhD in Biochem) told me, "There are 24 hours in a day, and you only need to sleep 6."

I have two bits of advice:
(1) Go a week without watching *any* TV or playing any video games. You'll be amazed at how much time you discover.

(2) Start or join a local gaming group that meets every week for 2-3 hours. You'll find those games hitting the table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
There are shallow hobbies and there are deep hobbies. Some people think that having model trains as a hobby just means running them around in circles, big deal. But really it's about designing and building your own layouts, learning about and doing electrical work, model-making, reading about train history and from there about American (or British or European or whatever) history, economics, old technology, costuming, architecture, surveying, arts and crafts, and the endless joy of finding others who share your passion and want to talk with you about it. Actually running the trains is only a small part of it.

It's the same with board games. Actually playing the durned things is only a small part of the hobby. There's collecting, searching for bargains and rare games, discussions of strategy, reading reviews, writing reviews, written session reports and verbal post-mortems, rule-lawyering, designing and discussing variations, deconstructing designs to see how the masters go about their craft, anticipating new releases, going to cons to talk with designers and see the latest stuff, making player aids and travel kits, making homemade copies of hard-to-find games, even creating your own games. There are a hundred ways to play with games when you can't actually play the games themselves.

(Oh, and for the record: that first paragraph was just an example. I'm not into model railroading. Running little toy trains in circles, how dull is that? )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Excellent point Rick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.