Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got all 10 Carcassonne expansions, all mixed together. I pull it out whenever we're feeling crazy. It has a few problems, of course - it takes forever, it's huge, and it's confusing. But I expected those.
The problem I'm having is more with big swings of points, where a player can get 50+ points from a single move. So, here are some fixes I'm thinking of.
- The King and Robber Baron bonuses are a flat 20 points each.
- Trade Goods are worth 20 points per type rather than 10. (One of the few things that's not actually worth enough!)
- Farms are scored when they're completed, like other features. As soon as a farm is enclosed, count the majority, score for each city, and remove all the meeples. Farms don't score for uncompleted cities, even if they get completed later.
- Uncompleted farms score 1 point per city at the end of the game. The intent here, of course, is to reduce the 80+ point farms I've seen in previous games.
- The bonus for an inn or cathedral is limited to a maximum of 10 points.

Anyone else ever try mega-Carcassonne?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my wife and I play with every expansion except Princess & Dragon, and I posted a fairly lengthy account as to how we actually do it:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/117664

Our primarly objective was balance between the various goals, strengths, and weaknesses of each expansion -- and we are pretty happy with what we've come up with; some accidental, others intentional.

See what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeremiahClayton wrote:
I'll sometimes play with every expansion (except for the Mini-Expansion which I do not own).. and I've never felt a need to change anything in the game.

Hm. One of our previous games ended with a farm totaling over 100 points (due to a pig being present), which was over 1/3 of the winner's points (he scored about 250). There was a sense from the other players that they shouldn't have even bothered playing, since so much of the game hinged on that last farm. The trailing player was beaten by over 90 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try a few different things next time I pull it out. I do find that I enjoy the moment-to-moment jockeying for cities, roads, and such more than the big end-game scores, so maybe that's coloring my perceptions a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hm. One of our previous games ended with a farm totaling over 100 points (due to a pig being present), which was over 1/3 of the winner's points (he scored about 250). There was a sense from the other players that they shouldn't have even bothered playing, since so much of the game hinged on that last farm. The trailing player was beaten by over 90 points.

Yep, that is often the case here, too -- my wife and I are both experienced & aggressive players, but an seemingly "close game" can still have differing scores of 100, 150 points and more. However, we do have the genuinely close ones, too -- a couple of one point games and a few outright ties here and there, which are *very* exciting.

The point being that two equalled skilled players do not always see that reflected in the score -- and, more expansions seem to exaggerate this effect further. While it seems certain that later expansions factored earlier ones into their design, it does not seem that the reverse is true -- so, our "Mondo House Rules" are an ongoing attempt to balance out the desirability & feasibility of trying to score cities, roads, cloisters, and farms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.