Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Elton
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fortress of the Archkyrie is by far the most elaborate expansion set for Heroscape released yet. It has battlements, ladders, and a neat little flag. There's a removable door with a lock. The booklet it comes with is as long as the master game guide in the 1st edition. The front of the box boasts 141 terrain and building pieces. This is probably the coolest set in the Heroscape world.
But don't be fooled. 141 terrain pieces sound huge, but it's not really. In my opinion, they did a bit of cheating. For instance, 22 of those pieces are in the form of individual ladder rungs that, when put together on the castle, usually make only 4 ladders. With all these pieces, all you can really build is a modest, one-walled castle, that's got to be put at the end of the board, to keep it from becoming a merely a wall. If you had something grander in mind, then be prepared to buy extra sets.
But, I am very happy with my one set. It is very reasonably priced and gives me plenty of options. It is easy to construct, although it takes a little muscle taking it apart. The door, a destructible object, has its own army card, which gives it 4 defense, 10 lives, and a power that lets you get 2 automatic shields, if rolling defense against a small or medium figure, and 1 automatic shield when rolling defense against a large or huge figure.
The castle radically changes the game. When playing with the castle, there will be two sides. One attacking the castle and one defending it. Also, the castle makes the point distribution very tricky. With two players, just make sure that the attacker’s army is about twice the size of the defenders. It's when playing with three or more people that it gets tricky. And an unbalanced game will quickly turn into a nightmare. I’m still trying to figure out the best way to use it in a game.
Since the walls are eleven levels high, any figure on it is going to have a double height advantage. This can be deadly, as your ranged units will be rolling two higher for attack and defense. The Omnicron Snipers are a popular choice for the defender. Sgt. Drake Alexander will see more action, since he is perfect for getting into the castle, what with his Thorian Speed and Grapple Gun.
Despite the low points, I really like the castle set. I recommend it to anyone who is into Heroscape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually really surprised by how much I could do with a single castle set. When I saw the castle they had on the back of the box, I thought it looked really small, and that castle really isn't that impressive, but when I started experimenting on my own, I made some pretty cool castles out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason J.
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
BNow i havent actually gotten this but my friend has 1 or 2
Castles i've seen:
A gladiator arena/ring with 2 Turrets/Guard towers
and
A normal castle
plus a small out post

In one game with what i think was one set... Amazin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Elton
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to say this is the least useful expansion I've bought. We hardly ever play with it, and when we do, it is always so unbalanced because we never know exactly how many points to give out. If anyone knows the optimum number of points and players for this set, PLEASE tell me. I would love to play a good game with the castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.