Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had all the Warfrog AoS expansions for ... ever ... all in shrink! And, of course, several others. Of all those, I've only played Scandinavia (someone else's copy) once. So after our game of Cosmic Encounter, I talked everyone (Greg-2nd game, Dan, David-2nd or 3rd game?) into trying this. So we ripped the shrink off, went through the rules, and gave it a whirl! Unfortunately, Dan and Greg didn't quite figured out the new locomotive rule (not an automatic upgrade; instead, by choosing this action you can pass BOTH goods deliveries to upgrade 1 link each time) until somewhat late in the game, when Greg tried to use it by passing 1 goods delivery to upgrade 2 links. Anyway:

I've played a bunch of AoS games and only gone bankrupt once - in my last game, I bid a lot for turn order, counted on getting a specific action and location, then gotten screwed by turn 2! So this time, I decided to go later in turn order. Unfortunately for me, I was randomly player #1! Still, I managed to get out of it, into 4th. Everyone else ended up going for cities in the southeast - the ferries, and London. So I went up north, planning to build west to some of the brown cities. I took the loco action and upgraded twice first turn, earning no money -- had to use my shares to pay off debts. Still, there were 2 cubes to run next turn so it worked out fine. As we moved on, Greg was having a difficult time getting good money. David, too: ended up losing money a few times early on. Eventually, though, David built up a nice network to the west. But my relative lack of competition up north allowed me to maintain a decent income stream. Dan deurbanized me once (or twice?) but with my relative cash advance I was usually able to take it myself. Dan and Greg had built up amongst each other and ended up helping each other during goods deliveries. The relationship worked well for them, but not quite enough: David was able to build to some good brown cities, but unfortunately for hime he was one turn behind me. I ended up winning, then David, then Dan; Greg had not been able to bump his links up quickly enough, and so achieved positive cashflow only late in the game.

Wow, what a tough map! Everyone wants to build to the ferries, but the cubes start in the brown cities on the west. But they don't get refilled! It's relatively tight, encouraging cooperation - forced, especially if you want to deliver via the ferries. Would like to try it with just 3, too. Good map - deurbanize is especially brutal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, you forgot to mention that you never rolled a 4 the entire game. Those dice were fixed! I owned both yellow ferries and all those yellow cubes just sat under the "4" laughing at me.

I'd like to play this map again, but my initial thought is the map is a bit layered. That is, you probably end up with 4 players going east-to-west, slicing up the map nice and even like a 4-layer cake.

In particular, with your position in the north. There really was no competition for you. And I could see repeat plays maybe producing the same result for whoever was in the north. I'd definitely like to try it again though sometime to test that strategy, and determine if the map offers enough replayability.

Now that you've broken the shrink on that expensive expansion, we need to play England!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.