Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We've played four games of Niagara and there must be something wrong with the way we play.

Every game has ended with multiple winners, including three out of four players in last night's game. Where's the fun in that? We typically get through the hand of cards twice and pretty much everyone gets home with a six in the third hand.

Also, not one canoe has gone over the waterfall yet.

Maybe we're all too cautious or too nice to each other or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
The game ends when the *first* player fulfills one of the winning conditions. What you actually have is quite a few players who are evenly matched - and one who got the advantage of playing before the others.

You're not playing simultaneous actions, are you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Quote:
The game ends when the *first* player fulfills one of the winning conditions

Not according to the copy of the rules I'm looking at. From the last page of the rules that came with my Rio Grande edition, right before the Summary of Niagara section:

"As soon as a player has collected (in his play area) five different gems or four of the same color or any seven gems, he wins and ends the game. However, the current phase II continues until everyone has played. As such multiple winners are possible."(my italics on the last sentence).

My post edited a couple of times for clarity and to add the following: was there a snafu on some editions of the Rio Grande rules booklet? Why would Phase II continue after one player had achieved the winning conditions unless others could win?

My game also includes rules in French which state similarly: "Il est possible qu'il y ait plusiers gagnants". It's been a while since I studied French but to my mind that also says 'It's possible that there are multiple winners'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.