Subject: Three clever matching games for young kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on Kevin Henke’s popular books, Lilly’s 3 For All is a trio of engaging, clever card games for young kids. It encourages matching, counting and sorting skills, and is easy to understand. I played a few games of it with my two kids, after finding it at a garage sale.

Components

The game has 35 unique cards. What makes them unique is that each card has two different pictures from the books, plus a border color. Overall, there are ten different pictures, and five different colors, and the combination of pictures and color are never repeated. The pictures are the drawings of Kevin Henke, such as Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse, her teacher Mr. Slinger, and her brother Julius.

Game Play

Using the same set of cards, the designers came up with three games, with different goals.

Game 1: In this simple matching game, players have two cards in their hands, with six cards face-up on the table. The goal is to find as many matches as possible between the hand-held pictures and the ones on the table. For example, say a player has a card with a picture of cookies and a picture of Julius. On the table there is one card with cookies, and two cards with Julius. The player can take the two cards with Julius. After the draw deck is exhausted, the player with the most cards wins.

Game 2: This is similar to Game 1, but with the addition of color. The player is still trying to make as many matches as possible, but also with an eye toward getting as much of a specific color, as well. In the end, the player with the most cards of each color scores two points, ties are one point for each player. Most total points wins.

Game 3: In this game players use their cards like dominoes. You may need a lot of floor space to play it. Players start with a single card, face-up, as the beginning “domino”. They play cards with matching pictures to extend the chain on either end. If they don’t have a match, they have to draw a card. The first player to get rid of his cards wins.

Comments

We played Game 1 once, and each of the other two games twice. Even though these are simple matching games for an adult, you still have to pay attention to be able grab the right cards. Both kids enjoyed the games, and asked for more plays. In all, we played all five games in about an hour. The game is rated for 4 – 8 YO, and that seems right. My son, who is 10, enjoyed playing. But I’m sure he will probably be less interested in the future. But I think this will get many 2-player plays with my 6YO daughter, who loved the artwork and the matching games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.