Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a bit of a geek, I started Airborne with Scenario One, "Orange Hero." The Americans consist of two and a half American airborne platoons with a Captain and First Lieutenant, and a possibility of a platoon reinforcing at some point. The Germans have a a Captain, two Lieutenants and a platoon each of grenadiers, engineers, heavy macine guns, and 81mm mortars. The Germans also have two fixed strongpoints, which have about a 33% chance of being dummies.

On June 6, 1944, the Americans assembled on the east side of a marshy area along the Merderet River, and north of the town of La Fiere, France. The town anchors one end of a bridge and causeway across the river and marsh. The Americans' goal is to seize La Fiere, or to eliminate two and a half German platoons. Between the Americans and La Fiere is another small town, and a field surrounded by hedgerows. The German platoons are assembled on the west side of the river, and a strongpoint is placed in each of the two towns.

On the first turn, the Americans moved agressively to the outskirts of the north-most town. Luckily for the Americans, they did not come under fire from the town (the strongpoint was a dummy). The Americans were spotted by the Germans, however, and received some ineffectual mortar fire. Alerted to the Americans, the Germans rushed all of their platoons, except for the mortars, across the causeway and into La Fiere.

On turn two, reinforcements arrived for the Americans, and the American Captain took off to lead them into the fight. The remaining Americans moved into town, but halted to gather all of their forces before attacking La Fiere. Seeing an opportunity, the German Captain ordered a Lieutenant and grenadier platoon to occupy the field surrounded by hedgerows that lies between the two towns. The German squad was disrupted by opportunity fire, but held the field.

Turns 3 - 6 saw the Americans consolidate their forces, trade fire with the grenadiers, and finally assault into the field. The Germans lost half of the grenadier platoon, and retreated into La Fiere.

Turns 7 - 10 saw the Americans assault into La Fiere. The German stronpoint in La Fiere was almost as strong as a platoon, so the Americans faced withering fire as they moved into town. Luckily for the Americans, the German fire had no effect on the platoons, but disrupted the Lieutenant (the dice rolls were as good for the Americans as they could possibly be -- 3's and 4's on the platoon morale checks). During the assault, the German Captain became demoralized and fled back across the causeway. The game ended with the Germans losing the remainder of the grenadier platoon, but both sides fighting in La Fiere.

I've played this scenario about six times, and this is about the best result I've seen for the Americans. If the stronpoint in the northern town is real, or if the American reinforcements arrive late in the game, the Americans can have even more problems. The Americans have to move fast -- the delay that allowed the grenadiers to occupy the field was a critical mistake for the Americans. The Germans lost some men in the field, but the victory conditions give them men to lose. The German move into the field delayed the assault on La Fiere by an hour of game time. A post on Consimworld noted that this might be a good game for a newbie German player against an experienced American player -- the American can try hard and will likely still lose. Historically, the Americans could not sieze the town. (The American Captain later became a head football coach at Syracuse, hence the scenario name.)

Be aware that I've just started the Panzer Grenadier series, so there may be a few rules mistakes that I still haven't caught. I appreciate any suggestions for writing AAR's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike, thanks for the AAR.

You asked for suggestions...what one guy did that was really cool was mentioned the hexes involved in different bits of the action, a la "the Germans in sector 0115 opened up with their machine guns, disrupting the squad that had just moved in from sector 0116. Stuff like that really helps folks follow along if they have the same module.

It's too bad that AP is against vassal...it makes putting picture of the boards/counters for AARs much more difficult than it should be. I made my own personal vassal mod for it, and I must say, it's very cool for solitaire play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris reichl

Appleton
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job Mike.

I agree with John's suggestions as well. Im new to PG:AB as well. I agree about mentioning the hex numbers, really helps when one wishes to follow along. I tend to do that when reading AARs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald M. Zabos
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I m not used to the abrevation AAR. What does it mean ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
After
Action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.