War on Terror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cooperative victory/mergers, nuclear bunkers and kindapping rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
We played several games over the weekend; a very good game, although it takes a while to appreciate all the possibilities. We were all Risk fans, and decided this was more fun.

One game ended with two empires facing destruction at the hands of the terrorists - so they decided to merge into one super-empire, which won.

This would appear in the spirit of the game, but also makes winning cooperatively too easy.

a) is it allowed?
b) If yes, might there not be some kind of penalty for a merger... ie the chance that a city will turn terrorist rather than accept the new deal (like a civil war card played on each city)?

Other small questions...

Nuclear bunkers: in my understanding, trading of cards is a valid strategy. The question is, can someone trade a nuclear bunker to a player after a nuclear attack, but before the damage is calculated?

Political kindnap: Is there any leeway to negotiate over the hostage release price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andro Hsu
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Cooperative victory/mergers, nuclear bunkers and kindapp
It seems like the "World Peace" victory is a cooperative victory for the empires, but only if they can wipe out the terrorists. I don't think a merger should be allowed because it simply lowers the victory point requirement while getting around the condition of having no terrorists on the board.

Regarding nuclear bunkers, I'd say yes you can trade. You're allowed to barter, haggle, and trade with other players "at any stage in the game" (rulebook p. 4), even if this means interrupting a current card play. So it seems like this would apply for War cards as a defense as well.

For Political Kidnap and Plane Hijack, I'd say that the ransoms are simply the upper limit that can be charged. All the person playing the card has to do is say that they will immediately "give back" X number of dollars to lower the ransom from the printed price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diana F
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hey there! I have another question from that same round of thanksgiving games - those of us who became terrorists (ahem!) were a little confused about how much we could do in one turn. If, like regular players, we could buy and place terrorists at any time, and also cash them back in without any of that counting as a move, we could really cut quite a swath of terror across the board (given enough $$). Should we have been counting some of these things as moves, and what constitutes a move? i.e. if the terrorists can buy/place/upgrade terrorist pieces indefinitely, why do they need to roll to see how many moves they have? thanks in advance for clarifying. Your game rocks.

SWAK,
The Casual Terrorist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Cooperative victory/mergers, nuclear bunkers and kindapp
obeyscient wrote:

Regarding nuclear bunkers, I'd say yes you can trade. You're allowed to barter, haggle, and trade with other players "at any stage in the game" (rulebook p. 4), even if this means interrupting a current card play. So it seems like this would apply for War cards as a defense as well.

I'd have to disagree here - in most games of this nature, from the play of a card to the final result is considered a single event. If you don't have a bunker when the nuke card is played, that's it. You can still trade, but you shouldn't be allowed to use the card at that time. You shouldn't be allowed to sell off you developments either, even though that is also permitted "at any stage in the game" as well. That would obviously be unfair, and it should apply to bunker cards as well, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
A couple of questions back the designer said that you cannot sell off developments when they are about to get nuked/turned into terrorists/other empires, you can only do it when nothing is taking place that would affect the developments. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.