willial butler
United States
patterson
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
i finally finished putting the stickers on and looked at the scenario book. there appear to be a number of errors in the setup of the seleucid army for the battle of magnesia - 190 b.c.
for information about the battle see the histories of polybius and livy, the seleucid army by bar kochva, armies of the macedonian and punic wars and http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/se/~luv20009/Magnesia.html
first off i assume that the light bow cavalry are representing the dahae horse archers. if so, they should be on the end of the right flank instead of the left flank. next to them would be the argyraspids (shown as medium infantry). the argyraspids should be heavy and the other phalangites should be medium infantry. the argyraspids were the standing army while the other phalangites were only called out in time of war. next to the argyraspids would be the heavy cavalry with antiochus III.
as for the roman army, there were no light bow infantry deployed on the left flank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you suggesting that the historical placement for all the scenarios in the core game was accurate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
willial butler
United States
patterson
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
i haven't really looked at all the scenarios for accuracy as i play c&c for fun with the kids. i noticed this one though as it is one of two battles i am considering umpiring at a game convention using "strategos II". strategos II is a set of rules from the society of ancients that also uses a variable game scale like c&c. it can be played as a board game, miniature game, or on the computer (against a human opponent). you can read more about it here at boardgamegeek and the society of ancients website. most of the scenarios for c&c are probably very close to what is known about the battles and richard's method of varying the troop type for the same units at different battles does a pretty good job of reflecting their performance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.