Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
In an attempt to break down the statistics of the game we all know and love, my playgroup has decided to log the results of every Puerto Rico game we play. I will then take this data and try to find common threads which may determine, at least for our playgroup if not the general Puerto Rico population, what strategic choices tend to result in winning games.

The statistics I will be tracking include:

Seat position
Small Market bought?
Wharf bought?
# of Quarries obtained
Final victory point chips
Final victory points from buildings
Overall score

I know there are thousands more things I could track, but these are the elements we feel have the biggest effect on long-term strategies. Hopefully, the statistics will bear out this hypothesis.

In session I, here were the results and a short overview of the game played:

Me - Seat 1, yes, no, 1, 10, 36, 46
Joe - Seat 2, no, no, 3, 17, 30, 47
Damon - Seat 3, yes, yes, 0, 33, 16, 49
Tim - Seat 4, no, yes, 0, 42, 7, 49

In the end, Damon had an additional good which gave him the victory. But, as you can see, multiple different strategies ended up in very similar scores. I built a Small and Large Market as well as a Factory, building up hordes of gold to spend on the 10-point buildings. Joe did a similar thing, but instead of making lots of gold, he just reduced the cost of the buildings with his 3 Quarries. Damon and tim had similar strategies with Tim outproducing Damon, but failing to take in large amounts of money to bump up his buildings score. Damon had the monopoly on Coffee which brought in money as well as VP's.

No conclusive eveidence yet, but after a dozen or so games, I hope to find a pattern amongst our playgroup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not keep track of all the buildings and plantations and tabulate it? And, probably to much work... # colonists obtained, role sequence. Maybe just first 4 turns for a 4-player game role selection.

I think your selections are probably more important but if you're gonna take the time might as well write down everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I thought about it, but in our playgroup, there are many games that are played in which I do not take part. In said games, the other players are not likely to take the same amount of time as I would in writing down every aspect of the game. With this manageable amount of record-keeping, I think the other players will be able to manage keeping track of the endgame info, and I can achieve a wider sample. With more details, I would lose out on the samples from games in which I did not participate.

The other reason is that this statistical analysis is part of a larger, overarching goal of mine. I am attempting to catalog the point totals/victories/etc of every game that we play in the playgroup. I don't want to focus so heavily on one game, because if I want a similar sampling in other games, I will be up all night writing down stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BennyD wrote:
In an attempt to break down the statistics of the game we all know and love, my playgroup has decided to log the results of every Puerto Rico game we play. I will then take this data and try to find common threads which may determine, at least for our playgroup if not the general Puerto Rico population, what strategic choices tend to result in winning games.

Have you seen this?

http://www.pr-game.com/statisticsMother.aspx

Collected over several thousand games.

K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.