Nanich .
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Hello, I am starting a School Game Club for kids in grades 4 and 5. It will take place during a 45 minute lunch hour break. The kids will not be able to keep boards set up. Is there any games people can suggest?

- n

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not start a geeklist?

Here are some that I think fit the bill:

Labyrinth
Apples to Apples Junior
Break the Safe
Can't Stop
Cartagena
Circus Flohcati
Cloud 9
Diamant
Enchanted Forest
Pit
Rat-a-Tat Cat
Quoridor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As luck would have it, someone just posted a GeekList of games he plays with 4th-6th graders. It's at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17834.

I'm assembling a list of lists where folks share their experiences playing games with youngsters. It's at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17563, and has links to many other lists where young children are playing so-called 'non-kids' games. There may be some more ideas on those lists as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some games I play with my grade 4 and 5s at my school game club:

Bang!
Citadels (played generally to 5 Districts)
Carcassonne (I take out some tiles so the game runs shorter)
Saboteur
Fairy Tale (with or without the advanced cards)
Dragon's Gold (without the magic item cards)
Torres (oldest kids only) - and usually only 2 full turns and without the king.

Geekmail me an email address and I'll send you a couple of documents I did up for schools.

Cheers!

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend the following seven games:

1) Hey, That's My Fish! - This is a great no-luck strategy game that plays in 15 minutes. It scales pretty well from 2 to 4 players, and has a surprising amount of depth/replayability.

2) For Sale - This is an excellent auction game that plays very quickly, and accomodates 3-6 players. If you like longer auction games like Ra, but want something that plays in 20 minutes then this is it.

3) Liar's Dice - This is one of the most fun bluffing/bidding games available. It claims to work with 2-6 players, but I think you probably need 4 people to make this work well. It's very quick, and wonderful for a nice change of pace.

4) Can't Stop - This is a fantastic push-your-luck dice game that's all about playing the odds and risk management. It works well with just 2 people, but also well with 3 or 4 players.

5) StreetSoccer - This is a very fun 2-player soccer simulation that is easy to learn but enjoyable to play over and over. The games are always close and tense, but only take about 20 minutes.

6) Blokus Duo - New & Improved Blokus for just 2 players. They've scaled down Blokus, and in the process made it much better for 1 on 1 matches. This game definitely rewards repeated plays as you gain an appreciation for how to use the 21 unique tiles. Regular Blokus would work great too though.

7) Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation - If you're a fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, or ever enjoyed Stratego as a kid, then this game is for you. The asymmetrical forces are very interesting, and the bluffing of the card play makes the game very tense. It's definitely quick enough to each play both the Light side and the Dark side in one sitting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.