Richard Turner
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking Memoir 44 or Axis and Allies.

I have never played either though. Any thoughts and/or suggestions welcome please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schoenherr
msg tools
mb
M44 - No contest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Best 2-player WWII game - preferably euro/wargame halfbr
Memoir 44 is light as wargame rules go, but a great game nevertheless. If you can wait until next year before getting the game, Tide of Iron (Fantasy Flight Games) might also fit your bill. It looks like it will be a little more complex than Memoir but still pretty accessible.

Of course, both games cover small scale engagements, while Axis and Allies is a strategical game depicting the entire war. Or did you mean A&A miniatures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I much prefer Axis & Allies, but Memoir '44 is far more of a 'Euro' game.

Memoir is a very simple tactical world war II game that takes about 45 minutes to play. It's a good system that's been used for a number of other games. For me though, it's just a bit too simple for a World War II game.

Axis & Allies is a strategic-level board game that encompasses the whole global conflict. It generaly takes 3-4 hours to play and is less of a Euro than Memoir is. It's a fairly simple system but can take a while to figure out the best stategies for it. There's something about this game that I just love. To me, it has far more of a World War II 'feel' than Memoir '44 does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I've played them both many times. Both are good games, but if I could only keep one I'd hold onto Axis and Allies. A&A has a greater variety of units, more strategy, I prefer strategic to tactical games, and while it's a very good 2 player game it works very well with up to 5.

One of the biggest difference between these two games is playing time. You can get a game of Memoir '44 in within an hour. Unless somebody makes a huge mistake early, Axis and Allies will take several hours to complete.

A&A is much more pbem friendly and has a pretty large online community that plays it that way.

I don't really think of either of these games as Euros, but I can't come up with any other WWII games that would fit that label either.

I haven't played it but The First World War might be up your alley. From what I've read here on bgg it sounds very much like a euroish abstract game with some World War flavor. It is WWI though not WWII.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with Jim's comments.

I am wondering if you are not comparing apples with oranges. Memoir 44 is a tactical game and Axis & Allies is grand-strategy.

Both are excellent games. If you must choose one over the other, personally I would go with Axis & Allies. As Jim said, AA "feels" much more like WWII.

Also as mentioned here, I am awaiting Fantasy Flight Games' "Tide of Iron". I really enjoy playing Memoir 44, but it nonetheless does not quite sit well with me. I elaborate on this in my review of the game. I had thought to invest in the expansions for Memoir 44, but I will wait to see what Tide of Iron brings to the table, pardoning the pun.

Note that Axis & Allies has several variants, as follows:

1) There is the traditional global version of the game the encompasses the entire war in all theatres. The current 2nd edition corrects some minor errata, introduces basic and well tested additions to the game, and the game has been graphically retooled.

2) AA has also been released in two separate ETO and PTO variants. I have played both and they are fine games as well. Check the reviews as there are some concerns regarding balance.

3) Two grand-tactical variants have also been released, "D-Day" and "Battle of the Buldge". BoB has just been released. D-Day is a card driven game. I like it but it definitely takes a back seat to Memoir 44. These grand-tactical variants are quite different from the well tested and excellent global and theatre versions and you ought to consider them as such.

4) There is also a further release piggy-backing on the Axis & Allies brand, the very popular miniatures game. It is marketed as a collectible miniatures game with all that that entails. I have not embarked into this. But, as a former WWII 1:285 miniatures gamer à la GHQ, I certainly appreciate the prepainted miniatures. The quality and selection of these miniatures are very good and inline with the prepainted miniatures phenomenon. That said, this is a whole other beast than a boardgame such as Axis & Allies and Memoir 44.

I highly recommend both the 2nd edition Axis & Allies "main" game as well as Memoir 44.

You may also want to look into GMT Games' "Europe Engulfed" and its soon-to-be-released sister game "Asia Engulfed". These games are an order more complex than Axis & Allies. These block style games sit about a third of the way between Axis & Allies and the monster type WWII simulations. EE is an elite design. Although, I still play A&A with younger gamers, EE is now my first and best choice for a lighter WWII grand-strategic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Turner
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments guys. Memoir 44 sounds like it is quick and fun to play, wheres A&A is perhaps a bit more hardcore and therefore more satisfying in the long run.

Difficult decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really take Tide of Iron into consideration, which is going to be a bit more solid than Memoir'44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Best 2-player WWII game - preferably euro/wargame halfbr
Axis & Allies is a great game, but A&A:Europe is broken. If you want a simple strategic game on the European Theater only, I'd suggest World in War: Combined Arms 1939-1945. I've started playing this recently and it is great fun.

I haven't seen A&Aacific, but I've always enjoyed Victory in the Pacific, the old Avalon Hill game, as a simple representation of that theater of WWII.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.