Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the government of a power with 21 in bonds (12 + 9). Another player who I fear is ahead of me in the overall game has 20 in bonds for the same power. What are my possible thoughts with this power when its turn comes around? I can't help myself without helping the leader. I can't hurt the leader without hurting myself. Right? There's no way to bail out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you improve the countries VP multiplier by 1, you get 1 point closer to the leader. And since none of the other players can own lots of shares in this situation, your position relative to them improves even more. So you should keep that country intact and prosperous. To get at the leader, you need to try to (a) match his other bond positions where possible and (b) get a bond that is doing fairly well which he does not have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's a bit like asking how to obtain checkmate in three turns with a bishop and a pawn, when we've got no idea where everything else is on the board!

Clearly you don't want to do anything that will wreck your 21-share behemoth's long-term plans (you have remembered to invest elsewhere, haven't you?), but the key to beating the perceived leader is to go after his *other* holdings.

Obvious options are (i) use your power to damage one of the leader's other investments; (ii) buy more of whatever the leader has been investing in, for bigger profits than the leader is getting; (iii) engineer some changes- of ownership to put pressure on the leader's other investments. Hard to tell what precisely is going to work without seeing the board and turn order, and relative positions of everything on the score track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard Mulder
Netherlands
Voorhout
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually it sounds like you may be to hung up on "your" country. Pehaps it is not so bad if the leader takes control and you are a free investor for a few turns allowing you to get involved in outer countires. Going after his other strong nations is definately a good option. Taking their factories richt before taxation is the surest way to cripple a nation. Even Russia that usually perfoms poorly in my experience can cripple Austria and Germany with relative ease. Perhaps you want to take control of a country that is not performing well and use it just to smack him over the head with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.