Subject: Wot! No Strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm amased to see that there are zero strategy threads for a quality game of this tenure.

How can that be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For such a simple and one-dimensional game as Die Macher, the strategy is patently evident. Everyone is busy writing and reviewing their strategy articles for LCR, Bingo, and War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
For such a simple and one-dimensional game as Die Macher, the strategy is patently evident. Everyone is busy writing and reviewing their strategy articles for LCR, Bingo, and War.

This is so true. The only strategy is trying to set to the right of the weakest player and win because of this. From that point on everything is predetermined. Our last game of Die Macher only lasted 10 minutes or so as I managed to squeeze another chair between my friend and a player new to the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original game came out before BGG existed. I think generally people tend to write strategy articles as they begin to understant the full complexity and ramifications of a game. By the time BGG arrived Die Macher was beyond that point, I guess. The new printing should prompt more articles, on this basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valley Games had a choice: Either reprint Die Macher, or reprint "Rock, Paper, Scissors" (with the "Dynamite" expansion to follow).

R-P-S is a pretty tough game to understand without a highly-involved FAQ, and a 24-hour live operator help line (expensive!).

Die Macher has much less decision-making involved, so I think we made the right choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
Die Macher has much less decision-making involved, so I think we made the right choice.

I thought you had stated that you were not associated with Valley Games when you started the PR-blitz for the Die Macher reprint and preorder deals. wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, that's somewhat surprising. Die Macher is a highly tactical game, and rewards a player who is constantly re-evaluating the board position. However, I'm sure there are some basic do's and don'ts that apply to most games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanders
United States
Greendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve99 wrote:
I'm amased to see that there are zero strategy threads for a quality game of this tenure.

How can that be?

This surprised our group as well when I started playing (2nd Ed) and noticed it.

We keep threatening to get something concrete together and post, but it hasn't happened yet. There are certainly plenty of guidelines that could be listed under Strategy (a few of which have sneaked into Rules and Session Report listings), and we hope to list some of them soon.

I'm sure once someone (us, or others) gets the ball rolling, there will be some lively "discussion" on the ideas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I thought you had stated that you were not associated with Valley Games when you started the PR-blitz for the Die Macher reprint and preorder deals. wow

I don't recall ever denying that I knew who Valley Games was... in fact, I seem to recall vouching for Rik and Torben back in the "early days". My affiliation with Valley Games has recently changed, which is why I felt it appropriate to update my badge.

Link to original announcement, back when I was confirming details with Rik via email:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/102836

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.