Subject: First Space Flight - Wondercard 3rd age rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
magnus johansson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have played the full game twice and everybody loves it.
However, one card, First Space Flight, could be broken. Last session the player who got it scored 39 point with that card alone. And I dont think we have a problem with the rules regarding what is a "technology card", since the explanation on the final page of the rules blocklet.
The 2nd best wonder "Fast Food Chains" ususally scores around 20 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
39 points from First Space Flight? Thats tremendous ammount! I definitelly think the guy who scored that played quite well! It's rather unusual to score such huge ammount of CP by this card. But look at eg. Internet: if you have lets say 3 age III labs and 3 age II libraries, you score 30 CP(3x2x3 + 3x2x2). And still you could have built more and score more! All Age III Wonders are really strong when used correctly. In Age III however players usualy has a lot of Civil Actions (around 7-10) which means they can take this super strong Wonder card from the Card Row just to prevent other player to score with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlaada Chvatil
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
magjo20 wrote:
Last session the player who got it scored 39 point with that card alone.

Ugh. Thats pretty much. Are you really sure? I saw more than hundred of testing games, and this seems a bit too much to me.

It is probably theroetically possible, but it means you are doing almost nothing else than science production. You have also to have lots of level III technologies - more than you can really use at the end of the game (there is not enough time to build all types of level III buildings and units). Note that average price of level III advance is about 9-10 science points. So you get 3 culture points for 9-10 science points. If you have economy strong enough to produce so much science, you should rather produce more culture instead of science next to the end of the game (you definitelly have enough technologies to do that), it would be probably more effective. Note also that taking and playing technologies costs lots of actions, while culture doesn't need more investments...

What I want to say is: if you played all the rules well (not only the scoring ones) and he was really able to do that, then it was not because the card is SO MUCH strong (although I am aware it is relatively strong), but because of his good position. And he he could probably score even more points by concentrating more on culture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on all counts with Vlaada. Who is the designer. Of the game. And thinks you are playing the rules a bit incorrectly. Like I do.

Vlaada - marvelous game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, Vlaada, you really should ask the mods on the Geek for a Game Designer badge. If anyone should have one, you should!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got 32 points yesterday with that card (and a ton more from other cards). Had the pact that reduced your science cost by 2, but cost your partner 1 science.

-Munch "and he was the one who suggested the pact" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Strogow
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
I'd like to refresh the old thread.

I'm sure that Magnus was playing well. In many our games, people scientifically oriented were gaining 35-40 culture points with First Space Flights, even if they needed to loose some time during the game to develop their armies to fight off other bullies. In more peaceful games, 40-50 points from FSF are possible.

Vlaada is right saying that if you have such a potential you can easily gain many culture points investing in building giving culture directly. But inventing technologies costs no rocks! So, if you have 7-9 civil actions (typical in III age) you can easily build e.g. a movie AND invent two, sometimes three technologies.

There is a very simple combo for scientific oriented players. If you have Impact of Technology in your hand and you can grab Computers and Einstein quickly and FSF even later, you can gain huge number of culture points with it. Each III age technology gives you 3 points for Einstein, 3 points for FSF and 4 points for Impact of Technology (at the end of the game). Some tech cards are especially advantageous e.g. special (blue) technologies combined with proper impact, e.g. Impact of Progress. You can just spend your round taking every technology card that is cheap on card row and invent them. Not forgetting building movies whenever you have rocks.

Of course, Game Designer with Computers is also great, but the question is which of them will appear quickly on card row to enable you to drain his potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.