Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say, when I read about the prolific reviewer on Amazon, I thought of Tom Vassel. There are some interesting things here about how the few who participate can skew the experience for the many who don't.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/participation_inequality.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in the 1 group at BGG, until I stopped reading the general forums here. Now I think I'm somewhere between 9 and 1. My custom home page has new geeklists, new reviews, new pictures, new wiki edits and that's it. I mostly interact on the forums through a feed reader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, this isn't just the Web. Piers Anthony, sf/fantasy writer, used to have a "inverse proportion theory" that 1% of the writers in the world wrote 99% of the published work.

The big thing is, don't try to use the tool for something it ain't. Especially, don't try to base sales or major decisions on what you read (especially online); you're only hearing the squeakiest wheels (I learned this one the hard way with my own business). And don't assume that the rest of the world thinks like you do because you're a big shot at greenwillruletheworld.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
gbohrer wrote:

The big thing is, don't try to use the tool for something it ain't. Especially, don't try to base sales or major decisions on what you read (especially online); you're only hearing the squeakiest wheels (I learned this one the hard way with my own business). And don't assume that the rest of the world thinks like you do because you're a big shot at greenwillruletheworld.com.

Unless you don't care what the rest of the world thinks, and only really want to hear what the 1% thinks in our tiny microcosm. Let the rest of the world concern itself on whatever endeavors it wishes.

Go Red Bear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Unless you don't care what the rest of the world thinks, and only really want to hear what the 1% thinks in our tiny microcosm. Let the rest of the world concern itself on whatever endeavors it wishes.

I think the point is that, even within our own tiny microcosm, only 1% of that microcosm is posting the majority of the messages... It's not "1% of everyone in the world" it's "1% of the users of BGG."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

I think the point is that, even within our own tiny microcosm, only 1% of that microcosm is posting the majority of the messages... It's not "1% of everyone in the world" it's "1% of the users of BGG."

true that....damn lurkers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha,

I guess it's time for me to stop lurking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.