United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naturally I'm a big fan of the Dice Tower but lately I've been reaching out and finding more excellent podcasts and blogs. Roll2d6.com may well be my favorite, but the one thing I'm sure of is that I still don't know about most of them.

Which podcasts and blogs are must-reads/listens for you, and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has to be either Hamster of Fury's Happy Happy Board Game Love In or Sheylon's Boardgame Babylon.

I like the Happy Happy Love in, primarily because Luke just chats (very entertainingly) for around an hour, and it appeals to my quirky sense of humour - it makes me laugh out loud most of the time! His views are very close to mine, and he is certainly no afraid to view them - all in all a great listen.

Boardgame Babylon is (as far as I'm concerned) the holy grail of podcasts, it's one guy chatting about his passion for boardgames. The in depth series was sublime (go back and listen - thats an order!), and the series on Rise and Fall (and fall and rise) of the FLGS was the most interesting thing I have heard on a podcast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Boardgame Babylon, and also put a word in for Boardgames To Go (http://www.boardgamestogo.com/) and Garrett's Games and Geekiness (http://web.mac.com/dwgteach/iWeb/Garrett%27s%20Games%20and%2...) which have similar formats. I think that Boardgames To Go just about has the edge of the three, although the Boardgame Babylon Power Grid special is my favourite single podcast to date and GG&G gets bonus points for sticking to a weekly schedule.

If you like the more informal approach of The Dice Tower then check out The Spiel (http://www.thespiel.net), which gets better every episode, and Into The Gamescape (http://www.thegamescape.co.uk/) which has good content, but is only published on an irregular basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I listen to all of those mentioned (my job involves me filing for 7 hours a day on my own so podcasts are a must and I get through a LOT of them!).

However I'm always happiest when there's a new Into The Gamescape (but there's never enough of them).
Although I've never played an RPG in my life, Tevez's "Have Games Will Travel" can be kinda interesting.

Oh and I also listen to Garrett's Games And Geekiness. I swear his wife sounds early 20s...

....And the Vintage Gamer makes me feel classy when I listen to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
1) Garrett's Games & Geekiness
2) The Spiel
3) Boardgame Babylon
4) Dice Tower
5) BoardgamesToGo

GG&G is produced fairly regularly and has lots of guests lately for breezy, fun discussions on various topics/games. And if Garrett doesn't have a guest there's always his wife Shelley to provide two-way discussion thumbsup

The Spiel is the [relatively] new upstart that has become a pretty great show IMO. Two guys in a rock steady format just talking 'bout games. The Game Sommelier is an entertaining feature thumbsup

Boardgame Babylon is a more sedate show and can be a bit discursive at times, but some good, thoughtful content there nonetheless.

Dice Tower has some good stuff but most of it is in the form of guest segments (Rick Thornquist's contribution was great but he has left the building). Tom's reviews are worthwhile. The Top Ten lists wore out their welcome long ago. Sam the co-host adds little to the show with his juvenile comments and painful inability to say more about a game than it's 'just really good', 'cool', or 'interesting'.

BGTG was #1 at one time but has dropped way down on my list since Mark has all but stopped production and it really seems like he's lost all enthusiasm for doing it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorites - Really Excited to Hear Each New Episode

Boardgame Babylon
Have Games Will Travel
The Spiel
Happy Happy Boardgame Love-In
Point2Point
Roll2d6
Into the Gamescape

Good Choices - I Always Listen to Each New Episodes

Boardgames to Go
Garrett's Games and Geekiness
the Dice Tower are

If You Like RPG

Paul Tevis, of Have Games Will Travel, has also started a second podcast devoted exclusively to independly produced RPGs. It is called Voice of the Revolution. He's just getting started with this one, but his previous coverage of RPGs (news, reviews, and session reports) has been excellent. As a former RPGer, I get to enjoy role-playing vicariously through his podcast.

Non Game Related

Stephen, of the Spiel, recently mentioned two podcasts that he enjoys. I'm glad to have been turned on to them.

This Week In Tech (TWIT)
Filmspotting

As I drive 200+ miles a day with my job, I'm always interested in discovering excellent podcasts. I think all the ones I've mentioned fall into that category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Listening to Point2Point right now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gbohrer wrote:
Listening to Point2Point right now!

Even if the content of their podcast wasn't excellent, I'd listen for the theme music alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cook
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Favorite is Board Games To Go with a close second of Board Games With Scott. I also listen to The Dice Tower on occasion.

Board Games To Go is very well produced. He has a voice that's easy to listen to, and I like his candor. You really get a sense of what it means to him being a gamer. Trying to balance games, work, and family along with the side hobbies. Very entertaining listening.

Board Games With Scott is a video podcast. So hopefully that applies to this thread. He cracks me up. I like his quirkiness and when he explains the game, I can get a good feel for a game. I can decide if this would be a game I'd like to play, or if its something I should pass. Fun show.

Dice Tower is pretty good. They have plenty of give-aways. I usually listen for the Top 10 list and the reviews. I find it more difficult to listen to nowadays. Too many segments. Feels like a variety show. I like to have a subject where they go more in depth with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I regularly listen to 8 podcast:
1. Dice Tower
2. Point 2 Point
3. Boardgame Babylon
4. Boardgames to Go
5. Have Games Will Travel
6. Garrett's Games and Geekiness
7. The Vintage Gamer
8. All About Miniatures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've listened to a bunch of these, but really board games with scott is the only one I actually make sure I catch every episode of. Even when he is doing games I know I won't like, I find myself watching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chad,

Well most things have been mentioned, but I might as well chime in, since blogs haven't been covered as much as podcasts have yet.

BLOGS
1) Chris Farrell's Gaming Blog (http://homepage.mac.com/c_farrell/iblog/) - Well-reasoned and critical, I like his no-holds-barred approach.

2) Mike Siggins' Gamer's Notebook (http://www.funagain.com/control/viewblog?contentBlogId=1) - This one is hosted on FunAgain (like everything is these days apparently, from the Dice Tower to Board Games with Scott), anyway, and is another one with very nice, critical, and in-depth coverage of games.

3) Mikko Saari's Blog (http://www.melankolia.net/gameblog/) - Another interesting blog, with good reviews and session reports.

4) Gone Gaming (http://boredgamegeeks.blogspot.com/) - A wonderful collaborative blog with lots of different personalities that keep it always interesting and informative.

5) I suppose I might as well plug my own while I'm at it. It's not as good as the above four, but if you still have free time after reading those other ones, then you ought to check it out (http://www.columbia.edu/~tir2101/nycgamer.html).

PODCASTS

These are all the podcasts that I know of. I have listened to the first four, and really enjoy all four of them. I haven't had time to listen to the other 7 yet, but have downloaded them and hope to have a chance to check them out at some point.

1) BoardGameSpeak
2) Garrett's Games & Geekiness
3) Dice Tower
4) Happy Happy Boardgame Love-In
-----
5) Abstract Gamer
6) All Games Considered
7) Boardgame Babylon
8) Boardgames To Go
9) Have Games, Will Travel
10) The Spiel
11) The Vintage Gamer

Lastly, but not least, is Board Games with Scott, which is neither a blog nor a podcast, but rather is a wonderful "vlog" or video review of games (http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/).

That should keep you busy for a while!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otscotty wrote:
Favorites - Really Excited to Hear Each New Episode

Boardgame Babylon
Have Games Will Travel
The Spiel
Happy Happy Boardgame Love-In
Point2Point
Roll2d6
Into the Gamescape

I didn't mention Boardgames with Scott earlier as I didn't think it fit the categories you mentioned. However, I just remembered that it is also available from iTunes by subscription in an audio-only format. If you can watch the video version, that's the way to go, but audio-only is available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While not strictly a boardgame podcast, I find GeeksOn (www.geekson.com) hard to beat when it comes to sheer entertainment. The 4 hosts have a definate style and though thier episodes run long, I actually find myself eagerly waiting for thier next installment every time!

If you listen and like it, Give Aaron (Fans of Firefly will know his sister... who played Safron)
a shout... he is a member here on the geek. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/m0riarty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryno8 wrote:
Fans of Firefly will know his sister... who played Safron)

That is WAY too cool. Can he arrange an introduction? cool

Wife? What wife? ninja

OUCH!!!cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hess
United States
La Selva Beach (Santa Cruz)
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My take:

1) Point to Point: To my knowledge, the only 'cast about wargaming. Though it is almost all block wargames, it is still nice to hear about wargames on a podcast.

2) Fear the Boot: RPG 'cast that is well produced, informative, and smart. Interesting to listen to even if you are not a roleplayer. Some juvenile humor thrown in for good measure, but by and large, a very "serious" 'cast about RPG's. Highly recommend.

3) Roll 2D6: Too sporatic for my liking, but interesting to listen to none the less. Different 'cast that offers a different view of gaming than the others, nothing more, nothing less.

4) The Dice Tower: Pick up the DVD with episodes 1-50 that included Joe Steadman. While I definately don't agree with some of their politics/religious/lifestyle views, when they talk about games, they absoloutely have something worth listening to. Tom is all euro all the time, Joe was all wargame all the time which made for some interesting diversity to their shows, and when they could both agree on a game, you knew that game was worth picking up! I turned my wife onto a few games based on their suggestions, which was nice. Since Joe left and Sam joined, the show quality has been on the decline as Sam has nothing really valuable to add to any conversation on the show, some disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Jansen
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Can I drive the bus?
mbmbmbmbmb
On the blog front, my favorite is Brian Bankler's The Tao of Gaming (http://gaming.powerblogs.com/). To see why it's so good, read his recent post on problems with Die Macher and how to fix them. Highly recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This list covers most of the good ones as well:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/16386

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the BGG Wiki page on Podcasts

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/podcast

And if you fill out information for a podcast in the Wiki podcast page, please format it using the template as a guide. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/edit/podcast_template

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moody
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the primary reasons why I enjoy any particular podcast is how I can relate to it - i.e. Would I like to play this game with these people?

The top of the stack in this case is definitely Into the Gamescape. Those guys seem like a blast, and they are 'evolving' along similar lines as my own group. They have a great rapport with each other, although they need to find Paul.

Tom and Sam from The DiceTower come in second here, and make up for it with regular casts. They seem like two generally nice guys, and have great guests.

Honorable mention goes to Point2Point - Jason and Scott make me want to order games I know I will never play, they make them sound that good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve
United States
SE
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So whatever happened to the " Hamster of Fury's Happy Happy Board Game Love In"? on hiatus? or did I happen to miss an episode?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamebabylon.com -- which current features the Q&A with Reiner Knizia at Strategicon, and a contest, open for only a couple more weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.