Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read a lot about nexus ops before buying it as my step-up-from-risk game. It was cheap ($15) and my order was placed. Immediately upon receiving the game, we read the instructions (more on this later), started to setup the board and off we went.

Here's the questions we encountered:

1. Is there any specific reason why AvalonHill gives you tons of dice with the game? As far as i can see you really only always use one or did we play completely wrong?

2. We're not quite sure on how to receive the "normal" mission cards and when they can be played. We get a secret mission card after each round, we get energize cards when controlling the monolith or when losing a fight as a defender, but when do we get a "normal" missions card?

3. Are we correct as far as saying that there are no "defense" dice rolls?

4. If i have, say, a dragon on one space and my opponent has 3 marines in the adjacent and i move my dragon on his space, i get ONE attack with my dragon and he get's 2-3 counter attacks, depending if i was successful? My dragon can only attack once in this scenario? Basically he has 2-3 free shots at my dragon?

5. Regarding plasma breath: Does my dragon breath plasma BEFORE combat or AFTER Combat and can my dragon move and then breath plasma or does plasma count as movement phase?

As you can see, we're a little confused and i have to say that the manual is not very clear on many things. Worst thing though i thought was that the manual is very unstructured and painful to read. Many things could've been said in much easier sentences and much faster to understand if they would've thought it through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haskell
United States
Geneseo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Bought the game....confused
ScYcS wrote:
1. Is there any specific reason why AvalonHill gives you tons of dice with the game? As far as i can see you really only always use one or did we play completely wrong?

If you have multiple units of the same type on both sides, you can speed things up by rolling 1 die for each of the untis at the same time.

ScYcS wrote:
2. We're not quite sure on how to receive the "normal" mission cards and when they can be played. We get a secret mission card after each round, we get energize cards when controlling the monolith or when losing a fight as a defender, but when do we get a "normal" missions card?

I assume you mean the "Win a battle" cards for 1 vicotry point. These are collected any time you win a battle and DONT play a secert mission card with it's value in red.

ScYcS wrote:
3. Are we correct as far as saying that there are no "defense" dice rolls?

Yes

ScYcS wrote:
4. If i have, say, a dragon on one space and my opponent has 3 marines in the adjacent and i move my dragon on his space, i get ONE attack with my dragon and he get's 2-3 counter attacks, depending if i was successful? My dragon can only attack once in this scenario? Basically he has 2-3 free shots at my dragon?

That's right

ScYcS wrote:
5. Regarding plasma breath: Does my dragon breath plasma BEFORE combat or AFTER Combat and can my dragon move and then breath plasma or does plasma count as movement phase?

I don't have the rules right in front of me so I'm not sure about this one. Sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About the "Win a Battle" cards.....

If i win a battle, don't play a "Secret mission" card....then i draw one of these. But when do i play them? Or are they simply instant Victory points (e.g. once i win a battle, i get one victory point in form of a "Win a Battle" card)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

You can use plasma breath at the end of the movement phase if the dragon is in a non-contested hex. It does not count as your movement, but it does happen before combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Just to comment on the question about attacking 3 humans with 1 dragon. Yes the dragon is a more powerful (and more expensive unit), but it could very well not be the best attack going it alone with a single dragon against 3 humans.

If you're new to wargames, one aspect of armed conflict that is simulated differently in different games is called "combined arms". This means you want to employ the best MIX of units- not just buy all of the most elite type. Some units can go places other can't. Some units have special powers, and you want to look at the cost/benefit ratio for each unit you build. Employing your powerful elite units together with less powerful "cannon fodder" is usually very important in wargames (Nexus Ops included).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haskell
United States
Geneseo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScYcS wrote:

If i win a battle, don't play a "Secret mission" card....then i draw one of these. But when do i play them? Or are they simply instant Victory points (e.g. once i win a battle, i get one victory point in form of a "Win a Battle" card)?

sorry for not being totally clear on that. You draw and play the card at the end of battle to score 1 victory point. Also to make things clear you CAN play a secret mission card along with a "win a battle" as long as the secret mission card does not display it's value in RED.

hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers. I's all clearer now and I think our next game will be more of a game than a guessing look in the manual type of session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScYcS wrote:

Regardless of whether you "win" the battle or not, you may play a secret mission card that is "white" at any time you meet the objective (your turn or not). For instance, if you have a card that says to occupy the most rock spaces on the board and on another guy's turn, he moves out of one to attack you, leaving you in control of the most rock spaces, you can instantly play the card and score the points.

The 1 point red win a battle cards are the "default" VP for winning a fight. You can either take the point, or play a red secret mission card - worth 2-4 pts, so its worth the tradeoff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScYcS wrote:

Yes, but those 2-3 shots are harder to make.

And of course, its usually not the best tactic to attack a bunch of any unit with a single expensive one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tatsu wrote:
ScYcS wrote:

Regardless of whether you "win" the battle or not, you may play a secret mission card that is "white" at any time you meet the objective (your turn or not). For instance, if you have a card that says to occupy the most rock spaces on the board and on another guy's turn, he moves out of one to attack you, leaving you in control of the most rock spaces, you can instantly play the card and score the points.

The 1 point red win a battle cards are the "default" VP for winning a fight. You can either take the point, or play a red secret mission card - worth 2-4 pts, so its worth the tradeoff.

I don't have the rules right in front of me, but I thought you could only play a card, any card, on your turn, with the exception of Event Cards during battle. This restricts the playing of white mission cards on other player's turns. I could be wrong though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SatanicEssence wrote:

I don't have the rules right in front of me, but I thought you could only play a card, any card, on your turn, with the exception of Event Cards during battle. This restricts the playing of white mission cards on other player's turns. I could be wrong though.

You are correct. The rules on page 10 are very explicit.

"Secret mission cards are kept secret in your hand until you meet their requirements on your turn."

And later...

"A Secret Mision or Mission card can played only on your turn."

It is true that the sentence after this says, "You can play it as soon as you accomplish the goal listed on the card," but that is only specifying that you can play it any time during your turn not just, for example, at the beginning nor do you have to maintain the condition throughout your entire turn. So, if your turn comes around and you meet the requirements you can play it before moving or having combat. If you lose the condition as a result of combat, you still get the VPs. Conversely, if you gain the condition as a result of combat or movement, you can go ahead and play the card and get the VPs. You do not have to wait until the beginning of your next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SatanicEssence wrote:
Tatsu wrote:
ScYcS wrote:

That is correct.

From the rulebook: "A Secret Mission or Mission card can be played only on your turn. You can play it as soon as you accomplish the goal listed on the card."

So in a three or four player game, if the person that plays after you sets it up so that you control all the rock plains, the chances of that remaining unchanged by the time it gets to be your turn are kind of low. Especially if you hold your card and grin maniacally staring at the rock plains... There actually is a bit of bluffing that goes on in these games we've found.

Also, for us, the biggest confusion when first playing was the fact that you can only play one red card per battle but any number per turn (up to the number of battles you win of course) AND they can be combined with any number of white cards (assuming they apply) AND any number of white cards can be played outide of battle (assuming they apply).

It was so bad there are still times when we get that mid game pause when playing a card and someone asks, "... wait.. can I do this..?" and nobody really knows for a second or two.

Anyway, have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D'oh! That's what I get for getting up from the computer mid reply...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, again, thanks all.

One last quick question:

Do i get a "win a battle" card for EACH battle i won in a round or just one card after my turn ends if i won any number of battles on that turn? Could i, in therory, get 5-6 win a battle cards each round if i actually won that many battles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Woodburn
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
You get the single victory point mission card for winning a battle each time you win a battle durin your turn, unless you decide to play one of your secret mission cards that has vp's in red (you can only play one red vp mission card after winning any given battle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScYcS wrote:
Ok, again, thanks all.

One last quick question:

Do i get a "win a battle" card for EACH battle i won in a round or just one card after my turn ends if i won any number of battles on that turn? Could i, in therory, get 5-6 win a battle cards each round if i actually won that many battles?

For each battle you win in a turn you play a card with a red number. You can play multiple red number cards in a turn if you win multiple battles.

If you play a secret mission with a red number, that counts as the red card you can play. If you don't have an applicable secret mission with a red number to play, then you take and immediately play a mission card worth 1 VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about this:

1. On my opponent's turn she attacks me. I win. Do I get the 1 Victory Point card for winning the battle, even though it wasn't my turn?

2. Also, if I win a battle that satisfies the conditions of a Secret Mission card when my opponent attacks me can I play it?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spart02 wrote:
What about this:

1. On my opponent's turn she attacks me. I win. Do I get the 1 Victory Point card for winning the battle, even though it wasn't my turn?

You do not get a Victory Point card for winning the battle. This counts the Secret Mission cards also.
Spart02 wrote:

2. Also, if I win a battle that satisfies the conditions of a Secret Mission card when my opponent attacks me can I play it?

Thanks!

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.